Price of oil change in your area

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Had to get oil change done today from a dealer. Less than a year ago it was about $55. Today it was $84.50 for 6 quarts and a filter. WOW!!

I will want to find a cheaper place the next time or start doing them myself again.

What kind of prices does everyone else have for an oil change??

We paid $125 for oil change and service (tire rotation, check fluids) at our local Toyota dealer last month. It was our first and last time using them.

We had been going to our Ford dealer for the last 10 years but unfortunately they closed. The service there was usually around $50 with a coupon. This was for both our ford truck and Toyota Highlander.

Local independent shop near me charges $49.00 for a non-synthetic 5 quart change with filter. For a full syn 5 quart oil and filter change, it's $79.00. Dealers charge 20% more around here.

I still do my own oil changes and really save peanuts! :LOL:

The place I've been using for several years is currently charging $59 for a full-synthetic oil change, tire rotation, and "30 point safety inspection". This is their discount rate, which they offer via Groupon and other coupon/deal outlets. Pretty fair price, and only about 10% higher than what they charged a few years ago, IIRC. Reminds me that I need to take our primary vehicle in soon!

I forgot to mention in my post that I got the oil change free today. They have a card they punch out and it was my tenth change so the tenth one is free.

So, I did dodge the high price change today and will make other arrangements in the future.

I do my own but still spend ~$125 per change on the car and probably ~$40 on the truck.

Last edited:
^^^^
And where is that? :rolleyes:

Inflation is under control.

Inflation is the rate of change. Prices are up because inflation that has already occurred. They aren’t coming down, but the rate of increases has slowed.

To the OPs question, I pay $100 for service including filters, oil change and tire rotation. I need it about every 8 - 12 months or so. If I am lucky the dealer sends me a 20% off coupon on occasion.

Last edited:
~$60 for a full synthetic oil change (5 quarts)
~$25-30 for a tire rotation.

I have been buying tires from a local shop that includes free tire rotations and free tire repairs if you buy tires from them. That saves me ~$60/year (2 rotations) for each vehicle.

One of the kid's cars got a screw in a tire this week. That was the first time I've used the free tire repair service. Probably saved me $30.

Had to get oil change done today from a dealer. Less than a year ago it was about $55. Today it was $84.50 for 6 quarts and a filter. WOW!!

That's about what many independent places around here charge.

Just paid my local, one person, repair shop $51 for a synthetic blend oil and filter change. Will be bringing back the same car for state inspection around July 1 but I had gone 6800 miles on the previous oil so didn't want to wait until JUly.

Made an appt for my wife's car for May 1, for state inspection. it tells me when oil needs changing but it is down to 40% oil life left. My car does not have that feature.

Last November the dealer was running a deal - $200 for three oil changes, tire rotation and inspection. This was a great deal for me because they didn’t charge extra for my truck, which requires 8 quarts of oil. Even without that deal, I find the best deal is at the dealer but I have to pay attention and only go when I can get a coupon. Generally, I think a oil change and tire rotation for a basic vehicle with synthetic oil runs $75 to $100 around here.

My last oil change on my Ram 1500 was done at the dealer in July 2022 and included a tire rotation. The cost was $94.29. Six quarts synthetic blend plus filter.

So what's a tire rotation by itself? $25.00? If so, the oil change was $69 or thereabouts. Minneapolis suburbs.

My wife is getting her oil changed today, I think. I'll post back with her pricing. This will be done at the same dealer as my truck.

Last edited:
Just paid $91 for Synthetic Oil Change at the Subaru Dealer.

I don't use them for anything else because they recommend service that's not really needed, and expensive.

I've paid in the $80's the last couple of times for Synthetic oil and tire rotation. Seems to be the going rate these days.

My last oil change was $76 for synthetic and tire rotation at the dealer, but I had a $14 coupon so really ~$90. Like Aja8888 stated, I only save peanuts when I do my Subaru myself, but access is easy and I can do it quick. Most of my life I have changed my own oil with the big incentive for me being the time and hassle factor of taking the car in.

Prices have really gone up in the past year or two - probably due to that inflation stuff we keep hearing about, eh? My oil change at the dealer a couple of months ago was free but would have been $74. Five qts synthetic oil plus filter.

Local Mazda dealer charges $65 for synthetic oil/filter change, 5k a year, one oil change a year.

My last oil change was $76 for synthetic and tire rotation at the dealer, but I had a $14 coupon so really ~$90. Like Aja8888 stated, I only save peanuts when I do my Subaru myself, but access is easy and I can do it quick. Most of my life I have changed my own oil with the big incentive for me being the time and hassle factor of taking the car in.

Time and the hassle factor are my main motivations too for doing it myself. But I do save some money as well. Materials (fully synthetic 0W20, filter, gasket) cost me $45. So that is 30-40 bucks less than the cheapest rate I can get around here. Not life changing, but certainly a BIG sack of peanuts......
It takes me an hour to change the oil on my Outback because I like to really let it drain out for a long time, but actual hands-on time is more like 10 minutes total, if that much.

I do all my vehicles myself. Buy filters in bulk 6-12 at a time for lot better prices on them. Buy oil on sale or clearance and keep stock ready at home. My typical cost is $10-30 depending on the oil cost. I also can get under and check things over, grease the greaseable fittings on my old cars, and generally be satisfied the job is done right. No stripped drain plugs, clean any spilled oil, verify level after the job is done.

Time savings vs driving to an oil change location, waiting for the job to get done, and then driving home. I am done is 10-15 minutes start to finish including cleanup.

I do all my vehicles myself. Buy filters in bulk 6-12 at a time for lot better prices on them. Buy oil on sale or clearance and keep stock ready at home. My typical cost is $10-30 depending on the oil cost. I also can get under and check things over, grease the greaseable fittings on my old cars, and generally be satisfied the job is done right. No stripped drain plugs, clean any spilled oil, verify level after the job is done.

Time savings vs driving to an oil change location, waiting for the job to get done, and then driving home. I am done is 10-15 minutes start to finish including cleanup.
There was a time I could do an oil/filer change in ~15 mins, especially on my pre 70's collectables and when I had an operating lift, but not anymore. Now it's getting out the hydraulic jack(s), jack stands, wheel chocks, lots of cardboard and digging out the right hand tools, to start. Then it's removing all the dang water/dirt shields, and/or skid plates just to get to the drain plug and filter. Then it's only ~15 more mins. :) But when I'm finished, I know what's been done! Priceless. YMMV

Last edited:
Just had an oil change yesterday at the local Valvoline Instant Oil Change. Standard oil (not synthetic). List price was a little over $54. BUT, I got online first and found a coupon for 50% off:dance:.

So I paid just over $27.

If you go to one of the chain places (Valvoline, Midas, etc) check on line first. There is ALWAYS at least a $5-$10 coupon. The half price find was a surprise, but I will take it.

The mom and pop shop in my neighborhood charges $51 for a no frills conventional oil change.

When I take my E350 campervan to my mechanic in Berkeley for an oil change, I often get other work done too, so it takes a little time to separate out the labor and parts costs for just the oil change. Last August, he charged me $83 + tax for 6 qts of oil, oil filter, and the labor to change them, as well as check all the other fluids.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom