Price of oil change in your area

NAPA Oil Change

Had to get oil change done today from a dealer. Less than a year ago it was about $55. Today it was $84.50 for 6 quarts and a filter. WOW!!

I will want to find a cheaper place the next time or start doing them myself again.

What kind of prices does everyone else have for an oil change??

NAPA sometimes has oil change specials. My dealer sends out coupons but prices have gone crazy , the oil is $6 a quart and filters $10 so $100 for oil change and tire rotation isn’t way out of line, especially when you don’t have to dispose of the oil and get dirty. Just be sure to check the oil level and make sure the oil cap is on. I always have the service manager check it with me before I leave.

I've always just done it myself. I'm around $25-$30 dollars for 5 qts of oil and a filter. I usually try to buy a 5 qt jug when they're on sale.

Getting the first paid one on our Highlander in a week. We'll see.

I always did my own oil changes on all three vehicles. I stopped when my job became more demanding in the last years, and I wanted that time to be spent on me doing the things I like to do.

The one thing I dislike doing is mechanic work. I can do it and knowledgeable enough to do maintenance and repairs, but I don't like the work.

I do believe I will start back up doing them though..

You have to get a dongle from them that plugs in to the OBD port under the dash. You have to get it before you renew and then it has to be read (online, I believe) after some time period. And all this has to be done before you renew, to save about $20/yr.

I always did my own oil changes on all three vehicles. I stopped when my job became more demanding in the last years, and I wanted that time to be spent on me doing the things I like to do.

The one thing I dislike doing is mechanic work. I can do it and knowledgeable enough to do maintenance and repairs, but I don't like the work.

I do believe I will start back up doing them though..

That is me as well Street. I just carried my DW's Hylander hybrid to a local tire store yesterday for an oil change, they had sent me an email about 3 weeks ago for a special they were running. $69.95 5 qt. full syn oil and tire rotation. The Toyo takes 6 qts.so extra $9.99 for the 1 qt. all in tax and all was $85.79 I have a Ram2500 HD 4x4 that takes 7qts. and I use full syn on it as well but I still do it myself, because I can lay down and reach under it easily to drain it and screw off filter. Autozone usually has oil and filter specials going on so I keep an eye on them and when they are doing my brand I will go ahead an buy 2. The specials are for 5qt. jugs with filter for around 36.00, so I do the change and have 3 qt. left over so next time I'll just buy 1 deal so it averages out to around $54. bucks a change and the satisfaction of knowing its done right. :dance: When I need tires I also go to them and they rotate free for life.

Last edited:
Local Costco is $43.86. They only use synthetic.
Hmmm. We have a Sam's that has a tire shop. I need to check to see if they do oil changes.

I've been spoiled: BIL's shop allowed him to bill just the oil and filter. But it was a traditional service station, and that business model , as we all have witnessed, collapsed. Now the place he works makes him bill at least some labor (for us, $15).

$88, all-in, full synthetic, for a Sienna van.

Batteries

Has anyone checked the price of batteries lately? I recently had to buy one for a lawn tractor, checked a few different locations, average was about $150!

Just a few cents under $70.00 at my local Valvoline Quick Change place. That's for 5 quarts with a coupon, and synthetic blend. More for full synthetic. I have never used full synthetic and wonder what benefits there are for using it. I have a new vehicle with now 122 miles on it; also one with 12,000 miles, and a 2002 with 178,000 miles. Thoughts?

Just a few cents under $70.00 at my local Valvoline Quick Change place. That's for 5 quarts with a coupon, and synthetic blend. More for full synthetic. I have never used full synthetic and wonder what benefits there are for using it. I have a new vehicle with now 122 miles on it; also one with 12,000 miles, and a 2002 with 178,000 miles. Thoughts?

The one with 178k if you haven't used full synthetic don't start now,because it will find any flawed gaskets and if it hasn't leaked it very well may start. If anything go with a hi mileage oil because they will have additives to help keep seals supple for nor not leaking. The other newer vehicles the syn blend is ok.

Here on Island, it's really expensive. My last change (full synthetic) was $105 - and that was with a nice coupon at one of the "quicky" places. No chance I'll ever do my own again, though I did for years and years back in the day.

IIRC that money included (can't believe I'm saying this) maybe $10 to get rid of the used oil! Unbelievagable!:mad:

Just did an oil and filter change at a BMW dealer 5 days ago. It was $99 without Tax.

I don't know. I've never had anyone else change my oil.

I don't know. I've never had anyone else change my oil.

Yeah, I just no longer like crawling under a car to take off the oil filter and drain plug. Even at $100, I only have to pay that once a year and it's worth not getting dirty/greasy or messing up my back (worse than usual.):cool:

What does synth. oil cost by the quart or gallon jug these days? How about the filter? IIRC (back in the day) I could do a synth/with filter change for maybe $15. There were places (on the mainland) that took the used oil for free. At one time, I even had ramps which made the job a lot easier. (I still used 4 jack stands before ever sliding under the car on my creeper.) These days, if I got down on a creeper, they'd have to wheel me to the hospital on the thing.:blush:

I don't want to lay on the ground and try to get under the car either, which is why I pay someone to do it. The motorcycle is another story. The drain bolt and filter are right there and easy to get at.

What does synth. oil cost by the quart or gallon jug these days? How about the filter? IIRC (back in the day) I could do a synth/with filter change for maybe $15. There were places (on the mainland) that took the used oil for free:

Synthetic oil is about $21-40 for a 5 qt jug, depending on brand. Most car type oil is 5 qt jug, whereas diesel engine oil typically 4 qt (1 gal) jug. Qt price is approx $6-8 for synthetic. A good filter is approx $8-10 for most vehicles. Conventional non-synthetic oil is low as $11 for 5 qt jug. Cheap filter $5. Synthetic blend is more common than conventional, and priced sort of in between. Full synthetic is really not that much more expensive vs conventional or blend.

No way you could slide under my Challenger without jacking it up. It's low to the ground for a reason (improved airflow). The shield(s) under the car are for better air flow too as well as water/mud protection. The chocks and jack stands are for my protection and the cardboard is for my comfort. Any shade tree mechanic worth 2 cents will have lots and lots of big sheets of cardboard. :) Sounds like a lot of stuff but it's really not bad at all and I'm in no rush these days anyway.

I have 4 cars I change myself. The lowest is the Miata, which only has about 4" of ground clearance. Even jacking is tedious.

Instead of jacks and stands, I built my own ramps out of wood. They are longer than most ramps, with 3 step ups, and a significant stop at the end. I do chock the wheels.

+1 on lots of cardboard, especially with my stone driveway. I could do it in my garage, but it's much more roomy to do it outside.

Last edited:
WOW
Thank God inflation is waning!
But seriously, that sounds extreme.
Unless it's a completely different type of battery, this looks like the most expensive in my area.
https://www.autozone.com/miscellane...1r-lawn-garden-battery/335291_0_0?spps.s=3159

Your link is of a small lawn tractor battery, not automotive size or capacity. Not valid comparison.

The OP stated that the cheapest he found was $150.for a lawn tractor so it was a valid comparison to that.:facepalm: OP was;

Has anyone checked the price of batteries lately? I recently had to buy one for a lawn tractor, checked a few different locations, average was about $150!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^
I just bought one a few weeks ago for ~$50 w/core for my gas lawn tractor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom