Join Early Retirement Today

Checked on some real estate today
Old 06-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Been wanting to stop and talk to a lady that takes care of a very rural cemetery about purchasing a plot. Well, my plan was today to find her and get the details on what I need to do. Well, I found this old cowgirl out mowing her lawn and ask about it. She was a tough old woman that can cuss right along a drunken sailor. LOL A very nice person though! I didn't want to bother her today from mowing, so I gave her my number and at her convenience we will meet there and mark where ever I want to plot.

She told me there is no charge for a plot, and basically we need to go over there and mark a spot out. Then to make sure people know, where it is at when the time comes. No records and or paper work involved.

Her father owned the land lived there and homesteaded the land and started it back in the late 1800's. It was a very depressed area and her dads wishes were that no plots would be sold, and said no one should have to pay for a spot to be buried.

The setting is beautiful and rough country and I will have some ashes there with rock (cairn) and a native rock headstone.

My ranch is about 5 miles away and this western way of living, is who I am and where I want to be.

Anyone have a spot pick out.

street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2019, 12:01 PM   #2

This sounds so idyllic! What a lovely post.

We're going to be cremated and want our ashes set in a small viking ship, blazing, out onto our favorite lake where we vacationed for years as a family. The kids can barely wait.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My family has a plot at a local cemetery, which believe it or not is a local tourist attraction because of the beauty of the monuments. My grandfather, father and infant daughter are currently buried there and that is where we will be buried. The cemetery is 65 acres and has more than 10,000 monuments.

We will be cremated, with a small amount of ashes sprinkled into our lake that our lakeside home is located on and the remainder buried.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #4

Very interesting to the both of you.

I will be cremated but still want something in this area with a name and a belonging to this area.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

We will be cremated and interred at the veterans cemetery 30 minutes away. It’s free for my husband and minimum fee for me. We already reserved spots.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We will be cremated as well but do not have a deep connection to a specific spot for ashes. Instead the disposition rests with the surviving spouse who may spread/sprinkle as seems meaningful. Most likely, DH will cast me on the winds and waters of the wilderness and I will hunt for someone to put DHs ashes in a firecracker and fire it on a clear night where it can hang for a moment with the stars and forever in my heart.
"If, then, I were asked for the most important advice I could give, that which I considered to the most useful to the men of our century, I should simply say: in the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you." Leo Tolstoy
blueskyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hope by the time I take my dirt nap, my carcass can actually be worm food. (NO embalming, cardboard casket...)

Morticians are a powerful lobby.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m taking the cheapest road. Never been a fan of burial.
workmyfingerstothebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
I hope by the time I take my dirt nap, my carcass can actually be worm food. (NO embalming, cardboard casket...)

Morticians are a powerful lobby.
If you haven't already done so, check out "direct burial".

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cremation and burial at Arlington for me and my wife.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #11

Most likely cremation for DGF and me.