Collectables?

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
I've been collecting maps for several years - mostly antique maps and road maps. Now I've started collecting antique woodworking tools. The (foldable) maps are easy to store, but this tool collection hobby could become a problem.

So what do you collect?

Quality statues and maquettes of characters or creatures from shows, comics, and games I like. They're my version of framed art on the walls.

Firearms would be another category. The ones I collect fall strictly into the Rule of Cool, and ones that fall into featuring in the kind of entertainment I like too.

Classic and historically important computer games. The cheapest collection on a per unit basis, but with so many out there, I've spent about as much as my other collections.

Money. I really, really like collecting money. :D

I used to collect un-built (in the box) radio control model airplane kits from the 1960's/1970's and earlier. But I liquidated the collection when eBay became a vehicle to sell collectibles. I did keep a select few.

About 7-10 years ago, I finally obtained the few missing cards from two Topps baseball card sets I began collecting in the 1970s when I was a kid. Those two sets were the 1973 and 1974 cards. In 2007 I completed the 1974 set and in 2010 I completed the 1973 set.

I wish I would have taken care of my baseball cards when I was a kid. I probably used a valuable card as a noise maker in the spokes of my bike.

I still have my cards from the Big 4 sports. I wouldn't say that I collect anymore, I just have them and once in awhile I do some organizing.

My current collection is liquor, mostly bourbon. I drink it on occasion, but like to collect different bottles.

I've been collecting maps for several years - mostly antique maps and road maps. Now I've started collecting antique woodworking tools. The (foldable) maps are easy to store, but this tool collection hobby could become a problem.

So what do you collect?
I don't collect anything at all. I generally joke that somehow I missed getting the "collecting gene".

When I was 10 years old, my aunt gave me a Waterford crystal glass as a birthday present. I collected about 50 pieces over the next 20 years. The biggest piece is a 10" salad bowl that was a gift from colleagues at work. My collection has followed me around the world and so far, I have broken only one glass, while washing it in the kitchen sink. I have not added to the collection in 30 years, but I still enjoy using it when I have guests to dinner, and occasionally to make myself feel special.

Use to collect lots of things when I was younger. Have given most of it away to de-clutter and simplify my life. Then again, several different arts and crafts have taken their place, so maybe not as much decluttering and simplifying as I thought.

I wish I would have taken care of my baseball cards when I was a kid. I probably used a valuable card as a noise maker in the spokes of my bike.
Yeah....my mint condition (read once and put away) Spiderman comic collection (#3-61) "disappeared" while I was at college. Parents relocated twice during that time and pleaded ignorance. Younger brother and sisters also pleaded the fifth.

Last I checked, I was out tens of thousands of dollars on that one.....

Numismatics here. Although I have not purchased a coin in a few years, I would like to continue this hobby. My main focus has been US half dollars, proof sets, and US cents.

A number of things but my prize collection is "years". I have well over 60 of them now and I hope to collect 100 of them, by the time I'm done, but only if in good condition. Some of my past years that I collected weren't the "best" but I'm stuck with them now. :)

My best ones "so far" are #1, #26, #35, and #60.

Last edited:
A friend of mine works in fused glass, and I recently bought a sushi set from him (plates, soy sauce bowls, chopstick rests, etc.). Another friend was cleaning out an old storage locker and gave me some of her old soy sauce bowls and chop stick rests. I think I've started to collect sushi paraphernalia. :facepalm:

I don't collect anything at all. I generally joke that somehow I missed getting the "collecting gene".

The only thing I collect right now is 20's. They lay flat, stack easily and if needed can be easily converted into services or goods.

Years ago I accidentally became a teacup collector. My mother-in-law gave me a couple of her older ones when they moved and then other people added to my "collection". I didn't really treasure them, I was more of the custodian. I finally gave them to some nieces, which kept them in the family.

Still have my coin collection from when I was a kid. Maybe a couple of gems in there, but not worth mush other then the memories. It is the only item other than pictures a manage to keep from my childhood. I did not collect anything in adult years. Thought about picking up coin collecting again, but too many other things occupy my time right now.

Me too - not particularly interested in collecting. Although, my attic certainly IS full of junk, if that counts :LOL:

Years ago I collected Little Soul Dolls but I have sold most of them since I lost interest .

Attachments

• s-l1600little souls.jpg
    s-l1600little souls.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 17
I have a few old radios laying around but these two are my favorites.

Attachments

• Transoceanic.jpg
    Transoceanic.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 20
  • AW23 CGS Front.jpg
    AW23 CGS Front.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 19
  • AW23 CGS Inside.jpg
    AW23 CGS Inside.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 24
Since we downsized, I don't collect much of anything anymore (the process of letting go of collections during the downsizing was painful enough as to cure me of the collecting bug).

I collect comic books. I spend about 3% of my salary on them a year.

Back
Top Bottom