Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
That maximum size is still pretty gosh darn big.

Doing a little math, that maximum size, at an 80 degree field of view @ 10 ft. viewing distance would be a ~231" diagonal screen (201.404 in. wide x 113.1483 in tall).

In my recent research, trying to find out what size screen we should be looking for/at, I got optimum sizes (at ~10 ft./3 m. distance) ranging from 40" to 102". So then (for us) it came down to a matter of bang for the buck (size & features) getting the largest screen with the features that we wanted that fit within our budget.
The other factor is the pixelation. With analog TVs, if you are too close to a big screen, you start seeing the pixels and lose some of the clarity of a nice picture. With HD, you'd have to sit much closer to a much larger TV before you start to experience this.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Interesting, but it is really geared towards the 'wear-out' factor of plasma and LCD/LED - the time it takes for the brightness to reduce. I didn't see a comparable number for CRTs, which I think do dim over time due to phosphor wear out and maybe some other effects. As they say, the screen would still be very usable, even at half brightness (just jack the brightness up to compensate).

Other great comments in this thread also - I'll have to reply later..

-ERD50

Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

I recently had an amazing viewing experience. I finally got brave enough to download the Huluplus app to my retina display iPad (I had read bad reviews about crashes, etc., which made me hesitate).

Wow! - They take full advantage of the retina display, never seen anything so sharp and crisp. Who knew HD video on a small iPad screen could look so incredible!

I love my big HD TV screen at home, but I'm sure enjoying my teeny HD screen while on the road.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Would be better if Hulu supported airplay, so that you can stream to a big screen.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #105

I think I enjoy Netflix on my iPad more than my new TV. It just seems more cozy to me. Kinda like reading a a moving book. I gave up Hulu until they do better with captioning.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Would be better if Hulu supported airplay, so that you can stream to a big screen.
I just go directly through the AppleTV for that. That's how I started using Internet video streaming in the first place.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
My last CRT lasted 19 years before it died, I wonder how long LCDs last and what the mode of failure is?
Thanks, I shoulda Googled it myself. Evidently it depends on use (hours/day) which makes sense, but it looks like if we take care of our LCD TV's they could easily last as long as our last CRT if not longer - that would be nice...if I can resist whatever whiz-bang TV technology comes along that long, though I resisted with that last CRT!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #108

Was selling the latest advances in TV's, back in 1958. Remote control.
The remote itself, was a rubber bellows about the size of small ear syringe. It had an air outlet that produced an ultra sound signal, that turned the set on from across the room. Found out that I could make a chirping sound with my lips, and turn the set on from across the room... It was high tech at the time. Was fun to watch customers come into the store, and have the set turn on "by itself".
Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

New Question

We've been watching a LOT of movies over the past few days, and we are delighted with our new TV. The pre-programmed THX settings are fantastic, and the Active 3D is as good as 3D at a theater.

The only downside so far is minor and temporary. The Active 3D glasses do darken the image quite a bit, so until I figure out a custom picture setting that will compensate (the pre-programmed THX 3D setting doesn't quite do it) we found setting the picture mode on Vivid while watching 3D movies compensates very well.

Panasonic doesn't include Active 3D glasses with their sets (MSRP ~$70/pr.) but when we went to get a couple pair, Sears had them on sale for $30/pr., so instead of getting 2 good pairs and 2 cheapie ($20 Samsung) pairs, we just got 4 pairs of Panasonics, and the $200 we saved paid for the Blu-ray player (also on sale) and a bunch of movies.

Now we're looking at home theater speakers, and having trouble finding an answer to a question. We found a highly rated/recommended speaker package we like, but don't know if they plug directly into the TV or if we have to buy some other additional component like a receiver. Are receivers always required? Thanks.

Tyro
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #110

DD5.1 requires 6 speakers, so if your television has jacks for 6 speakers (C, FL, FR, SL, SR, W, typically) then it's ready to go. Very few televisions have that. So you'll generally feed your source through a receiver with HDMI outputs, and DD5.1 (or 7.1) speaker outputs. There are ways to use your television as a source for your receiver, if you're using your television's tuner. Your television model number and home theater speakers model numbers would help provide better info.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #111

Receivers are required for good, bigger speakers.

There are home theater in a box products that come with a box which will decode the surround sound tracks and amplify the speakers.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Your television model number and home theater speakers model numbers would help provide better info.
As stated previously, it's a Panasonic TC-P60GT50 -- just one Digital Audio Output.

For speakers, we were looking at either Pioneer SP-PK22BS or SP-PK52FS, but now that I know about the receiver wrinkle (which would ~double the cost and together be close to what the TV cost) we're thinking perhaps an active soundbar might be the way to go -- I'm wading through 'best' lists and reviews now.

Tyro
Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 AM   #113

You may find the soundbar a reasonable simulation of decent sound - I didn't. I'd prefer to stick with just the television's own on-board sound (its inferiority a reminder and motivator to save up for a 5.1 system). I feel a low-end 5.1 system is superior to a great soundbar. Panasonic actually sells reasonable-quality, full 5.1 systems (receiver and speakers) for the same price as those excellent Pioneer speakers. SC-BTT490 has only two HDMI inputs, but that might be enough for you.

Of course, that's assuming you don't have a problem with running wires to the four corners of your room so you can have all the speakers in the right place. If personal preference, yours or your spouse's, preclude proper setup of a 5.1 system, then a soundbar is a good compromise.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Just because you want it to blow up, will ensure the fact that it will probably go another 10 years. I gave up on mine quitting about 3 years ago. ..
Well, pleased to announce that although the *^$% Trinitron is still going strong, the Channel Master digital converter box we have been using since the switchover died... so, it was time for a new TV !
(OBVIOUSLY. And no, I don't want to hear about how buying another $100 converter box would have been more frugal than buying a new TV. A mans gotta live sometimes !)

So, happy new watcher of an LG 47" LED tv (big as feasible for our living room) that we bought on the Boxing Day sales at Future Shop. I must say I am Stunned at the quality of the OTA digital picture. Much better than before with the box&Sony. In our area near Lake Ontario we get 11 digital OTA channels (plus a few SD repeaters) and they are all coming in crystal clear.

However, the point of this post was to mention that we opted out of a Smart TV after talking to a chum ($599 for "dumb" tv/$899 for Smart tv). Instead I went out and bought a $22 hdmi cable and hooked my Android tablet up to the TV.

WOW. Anything you can access on the internet is now ours to watch on the TV. Movies, games, Netflix, pictures, etc... Even this forum... ; o )
The only drawback is no remote but really... the cable reaches the couch.. lol
I spent three hours last night watching British game shows on the TV via Youtube that you can't even get over here.. awesome.

So, that is an option for anyone who has a tablet/laptop and is considering a Smart TV. You might save a few hundred.

Anyone want a slightly used, 100 lb. Sony Trinitron Wega ? )
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #115
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by koogie View Post

anyone want a slightly used, 100 lb. Sony trinitron wega boat anchor ?
FIFY

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Anyone want a slightly used, 100 lb. Sony Trinitron Wega ? )
Those things are heavy! I have a 32" Sony Trinitron in the bedroom. Still going after 15+ years. I was single when I bought it and thought it would be OK to lift it up myself onto the cabinet. A week later I was in an MRI machine getting my back looked at - a bulging disk.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
So, that is an option for anyone who has a tablet/laptop and is considering a Smart TV.
My experience was that with either Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (or maybe both - I don't recall), streaming through my PC didn't provide DD5.1 audio, but streaming through my Xbox 360 did. Meanwhile, the PC approach was the only one of the options (i.e., including the on-board Smart TV app) that provided closed captioning. (One of us is hearing, and one of us is substantially deaf, so we have conflicting needs. )

So different devices (including the on-board "Smart TV" capabilities as effectively a separate device) have different capabilities.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #118

With Netflix and Amazon, 5.1 audio is available with the Roku 2
Can Netflix on Roku play audio in 5.1? : Featured Questions

Quote:
Yes. However, only Roku 2 series players support 5.1 audio streaming. Not all Netflix titles are available in 5.1 audio. If a movie or TV show title is available in 5.1 audio, a 5.1 icon will be displayed on that title’s details screen.
To turn on 5.1 audio, first select a title you wish to watch instantly. Next, select audio & subtitles to select the 5.1 audio option, if one is available. Once selected, press BACK on your Roku remote to exit the audio & subtitles selection screen.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #119

And Netflix has also recently added closed captioning capability to their software on the Roku, and there beginning to respond to lawsuits about their failure to provide close captions on so many titles. Unfortunately, I don't have a Roku. I've got a 2011 Samsung Smart TV and an XBox 360 so I'm limited to the limited capabilities of those devices. And that raises another issue with all this... every new feature seems to take so incredibly long to filter through to all the various new distribution channels. Even the Smart TV software in my Samsung television is the 2011 version, and they've added a lot of great new capabilities in the 2012 version of the software, and there is no upgrade path!!! I couldn't believe it when the tech told me that. Why would you design a platform where you can upgrade the software to fix bugs, but cannot upgrade it to the latest version with the newest features? (I know, I know: Money.)
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Still had to use two remotes to control the TV. One for the cable box for channels and one for the TV for volume. No wonder people are confused.
I recently set up a new TV and cable for my sister & BIL. As I was reading the set-up instructions provided by the cable company, I noticed that the remote provided by their cable company could also be programmed to control the TV volume and power (on/off). Sis & BIL are delighted that only one remote is all that is now needed.

omni