Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #21

We all express our happiness in different ways. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing personal, either.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Yes, even when I knew some would ridicule and/or criticize my post. Other participants may have found the concept of a worldwide happy day interesting - and desperately needed in this sad world. There is still hope.
I don't think anyone ridiculed your post - it's fine for you to bring these to our attention if you find them interesting. I think just about everybody ridiculed the concept of a 'happy day'. But paraphrasing MichaelB - different strokes for different folks. As I have often said, if someone posts something to a discussion forum, don't be surprised if it spurs some discussion. If all you want is agreement, start a blog and disable comments, or just talk to the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
That's because some people have a need to be un-happy and try to make others feel that way.
I didn't see anyone on this thread describe themselves as unhappy. What are you talking about?

And if anyone could be made unhappy by someone else poking holes in a 'happy day' proclamation by the UN, then it makes me wonder if they are truly happy. I'm way too happy to let something like that affect me.

I'm especially happy today. I got a phone call at 7:30 AM - my son got accepted into his top choice residency program (PharmD program at UIC, he got a residency at University of Chicago Medical Center). Time for the happy dance!

-ERD50

Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, even when I knew some would ridicule and/or criticize my post. Other participants may have found the concept of a worldwide happy day interesting - and desperately needed in this sad world. There is still hope.
I don't think anyone was criticizing you, happiness or even a happiness day - I wasn't FWIW. Just questioning whether it was a worthwhile task for the UN to match it's charter/mission. It would seem nations/people at peace don't need a happiness day, and nations at (or threatened by) war wouldn't be influenced at all by a happiness day. Seems there are other more pressing issues that fall in their "wheelhouse."

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

FIRE

time with DH

my son's upcoming wedding in August
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Other participants may have found the concept of a worldwide happy day interesting - and desperately needed in this sad world. There is still hope.
Getting a bit more analytical here - I don't think anyone would disagree that the world needs more happiness, I think people question the idea that a 'happiness day' proclamation could do anything at all towards that end.

Now that I think a bit more about it, it actually strikes me as offensive, somewhat like a 'let them eat cake' kind of statement. I guess that's what really bugged me about it. It seems dismissive of the real hard problems and real hard solutions.

IMO, there is hope only if we acknowledge, analyze and implement real solutions to tackle those hard problems. I think there is no hope if we think "Group Hug everyone!" is going to accomplish anything other than making a small group of people feel better about themselves.

It reeks of telling a clinically depressed person to just "Cheer up!", rather than trying to determine the root causes and treatment for their depression. Should we celebrate that?

-ERD50
Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Dang! It was yesterday. So sorry we missed it.
That makes me unhappy
Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw this posted on Facebook this morning. 22 things you can actually do to help make your life happier and maybe lead by example.

22 Things Happy People Do Differently | Successify!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I saw this posted on Facebook this morning. 22 things you can actually do to help make your life happier and maybe lead by example.

22 Things Happy People Do Differently | Successify!
Now that is a pretty good list, IMO. Real actionable stuff for most of us, not frilly, feel-good fluff.

I gotta run, and had to skim a bit, and I'm not saying I agree with all of it 100%, and I think some could use a little expansion to cover some realities of life, but I'd give it at least an "A minus" for content.

Thanks for posting that.

-ERD50
Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Don't pet the sweaty stuff sweat the petty stuff...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I read the linked article and can appreciate the UN's reasons, which are more at a policy level for its members' governments to keep their citizens' pursuit of happiness as their main goal in developing programs. But I never mind a reminder to count my blessings.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

The floggings will continue until morale improves...
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The floggings will continue unless morals improve...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #33

Which part of the word "fertilizer" (aka horseh#t) don't you understand? :-)

Moving on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I don't think anyone was criticizing you, happiness or even a happiness day .
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Which part of the word "fertilizer" (aka horseh#t) don't you understand? :-)

Moving on...
Why not take it up with him/her in the first place? Again, I think most were questioning the UN as the source more than anything else.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #35

Would be a waste of time IMO and not the main topic of this thread. I much prefer to think positive and remain positive. It's Friday, I came back home early for lunch, no more patients to see today, enjoying a beer. Enjoying my time off and feeling happy !
Quote:
Why not take it up with him/her in the first place? .
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
That's because some people have a need to be un-happy and try to make others feel that way.
This is most definitely true, I work with a few types like this. Kind of reminds me of Eeyore, they are never happy unless they are complaining about something
Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Here's the obligatory Everything is Amazing and Nobody is Happy video:

"Everything is amazing and nobody is happy" - Video Dailymotion
Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #38

Thinking about it, it might be a 'she' with constant PMS irritability issues :-) I can handle that type of person also, believe me.
Quote:
Why not take it up with him/her in the first place?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Nice sentiment, but don't they have better things to do than make up things like this? Obviously they have way too much time on their hands.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well whatever people say I am happy and very grateful to be part of this world, of this magnificent universe.

Happy to be able to change people's lives, help my patients, care for the needy, the uninsured, and the underserved.

Happy to be here and to be able to share these feelings. And, last but not least, it's Friday. :-)
I am happy it's Friday too. And although very cold, it's gorgeously sunny outside. I will dress my dogs warmly in their doggie parkas and will take them for a walk around the lake near my house this weekend.