Dead Squirrel smell in my closet.

rsingh6675

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi Merry Christmas to everyone.
How can I get rid of the smell of a dead squirrel from my attic? I think a squirrel died in my attic about 3 days ago and I can't get rid of the smell. Does anyone know how long this rotten smell will continue? Please help.

I don’t know about tree rats but I know regular rats are about 2 weeks. Tree rats have a bit more mass and it also depends on the temp.

I had something--a cat, rabbit, squirrel, skunk, something--die under my pier and beam home in Bellaire/Houston once. Took about 3 weeks or maybe a month to get rid of the odor totally slowly but surely. This too shall pass. Hello, Fabreze spray!!!!!

I'ld go into the attic with a trash bag ... so one day (for me).

Just curious, is it the same smell as a dead mouse?

I had this problem on Nov 11 (I remember the date, because someone was visiting), and the smell is 95% gone as of today. I think mine was a dead mouse, so if yours is a dead squirrel, it's going to take longer.

Can you locate it in the attic, or is it within a wall or ceiling? You can use your nose to sniff around and localize the smell.

Here's my story: There was a bad smell in our downstairs half bath. I was sure it was sewer gas, and I was considering replacing the wax ring on the toilet, but I wanted to run some tests first.

I sealed off the sink and toilet, and discovered that the smell was coming from the exhaust fan. From outside, I could see in the duct, and there was nothing there. So, the smell was coming from the space between the ceiling and the upstairs floor.

From Internet advice, I decided to give it a chance to dry up, so I sealed the exhaust fan with tape, and we stopped using that bathroom. The alternative was major tearing up of walls and ceilings.

The smell is almost completely gone now, and I expect it to be 100% absent soon.

I will tell you if you will buy me a treat at McDonald's
best of craigslist: Dead rat finder and remover
Now that is a funny ad.

We had his problem once and called an exterminator in. When he couldn't localize where it was coming from, he told us to send in the dog and say whatever we say to get the dog kind of playful, like "go get it." Within 10 seconds the dog was excitedly scratching at the floor molding. The guy drilled a small hole, stuck his light in there, and then pulled out a dead mouse. Plugged up the hole, spackled and that was it.

Oh, BTW, you need to go looking for where the critter made their entrance into the house and screen/foam/patch it up.

Quick lime is your friend if you remove the squirrel - or not - and cover the affected area with the lime powder. You don't want to breathe the powder or get it in sensitive areas like eyes or nose. Smell will be gone. Also good for sewage spills. Tralala.

We chopped open our walls looking for a dead squirrel. When we went to pull it out with those grippers, it went squee and we jumped about 10 feet. Released it back into the wild and got a professional to retexture the walls.

There's this great book:

Amazon.com: Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! (Adventures of a Curious Character) (9780393316049): Richard P. Feynman, Ralph Leighton, Edward Hutchings, Albert R. Hibbs: Books

Here's an excerpt:

Feynman.jpg

The point is that we don't realize how good our sense of smell is. Since reading that, I find that I can often use my sense of smell to locate things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom