Do Not Call List / Telemarketers

Edit: We don't have a landline, so those devices won't help.

I haven't read this entire thread but if it hasn't been mentioned, the "Mr Number" free app works really well to screen unwanted calls. It intercepts spam/telemarketer calls after a single ring.

I didn't realize they were charging for the version for cell phones. Man, don't these fancy smart phones support "simultaneous ring" - that seems to be the hang up (no pun intended)?

NOMOROBO is free service for our VOIP, and any phone that supports a "simultaneous ring" feature. I never know if people include VOIP when they say "landline" - to me, "landline" means copper wire and POTS - Plain Old Telephone System. Especially since our internet connection is point-to-point wireless, there is no "land" about it, in terms of wires in the ground.

When my NOMOROBO stopped working, I thought the rotating phone lists were the problem. But when I re-activated it, it started working again, and calls are near zero again.

-ERD50

Nomorobo has not been working as well as it had the first 2 months. In January and today, it has failed to block about half the calls, a far higher percentage than in November and December when unblocked junk calls were very rare. Is it just a slump or will nomorobo's effectiveness continue to erode and not bounce back?

Mobile - Android app called "Call Blocker No Spam". Set up so only calls on my contact list get through. Setting to hang up on rest of not recognized calls. Can set to go to voicemail, but I prefer to hang up. The best $3 (one time purchase) or so I ever spent.

I don't get too many unwanted texts. Hopefully, that stays.

Easysurfer (or anyone else), what do you do about the need to keep 2 factor authentication for texts? Nowadays that is used quite a bit especially if one is using a new computer (or tablet, phone) to access certain critical sites for the first time. One will get a verification code on the phone and would not want it blocked.

DW is getting blasted by spam calls. Sometimes 5 to 10 a day on her Android phone. This started at least a month ago out of the blue.

Nomorobo has not been working as well as it had the first 2 months. In January and today, it has failed to block about half the calls, a far higher percentage than in November and December when unblocked junk calls were very rare. Is it just a slump or will nomorobo's effectiveness continue to erode and not bounce back?
I don't know if this is related but I've noticed a decrease in robo calls in November/December with a pickup into the new year. And we did not have Nomorobo.

Our ATT landline appears to be a candidate for nomorobo and I'm thinking of starting this thing up. We get maybe 2-3 bad calls a day. Annoying when the robo call sets the message light on the answering machine and we have to make sure it is not a message before clearing it.

I see the nomorobo is available for iPhones but not yet for Android :(. Almost makes me want to switch DW's phone to an iPhone.

Since early February, nomorobo has been blocking more calls than when it was in its slump. A few calls still get through, but it still blocks many, many robocalls. Several of the calls, however, are from repeat phone numbers and some of those callers are known entities to me. So much the better!

Under the heading of, for what it is worth. My old method was to answer and get to a human and waste some of their time on the theory that if we all made the cost to the telemarketer higher, then they would quit. Silly I realized.

New plan, all calls not in contacts go to voice mail. These folks never leave messages, and more importantly, volume is way down. My thought is that no response results in falling off the call lists.

New plan, all calls not in contacts go to voice mail. These folks never leave messages, and more importantly, volume is way down. My thought is that no response results in falling off the call lists.
Are you referring to a cell phone? If so and it is Android, how do you set this up for pushing to voicemail?

We had a problem recently where our son was going through a serious medical procedure. My wife and I were anxiously awaiting results, and we got a series of robocalls before we heard from his wife. It was really disturbing.

Easysurfer (or anyone else), what do you do about the need to keep 2 factor authentication for texts? Nowadays that is used quite a bit especially if one is using a new computer (or tablet, phone) to access certain critical sites for the first time. One will get a verification code on the phone and would not want it blocked.

DW is getting blasted by spam calls. Sometimes 5 to 10 a day on her Android phone. This started at least a month ago out of the blue.

Lsbcal,

The call blocker an my android is only for voice calls. Thus, has no effect on texts. So, the 2FA texts are not an issue. Though, I believe there are text blockers out there, but I don't get too many spam texts. Probably partially because I still have a landline and use that as my primary number. I have been getting more robocalls on my mobile as of late though, which get blocked and hung up on since not on my contact list (The app can also set up as specific accept calls list. But I just use my contact list as the accept list).

On that app, I can choose to have blocked calls hung up on or go to voicemail. I choose the first as don't want to have to check voicemail only to find out that is a telemarketer.

Last edited:
Lsbcal,

The call blocker that I use is only for voice calls. Thus, has no effect on texts. Though I believe there are text blockers out there. I don't get too many spam texts. Probably partially because I still have a landline and use that as my primary number. I have been getting more robocalls on my mobile as of late though, which get blocked since not on my contact list.
Sounds good. Is this a product in the Play Store (Android)? If so, what is it called?

Sounds good. Is this a product in the Play Store (Android)? If so, what is it called?

Yes, at the Play Store. Here is a link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a0softus.bestblocker

I think was about $5 and not $3 when I purchased in-app. Well worth the sanity, IMO :).

If you want to not have go to voicemail, then leave phone and call blocker on (with setting to hang up). If you turn off phone, I think it goes to voicemail if a spammer calls. I just leave my phone on (at idle) for that reason as I want the hang up, no voicemail.

Last edited:
I have Android and have been using the free app Mr Number. If someone has already flaggged a phone number withint Mr Number as spam/telemarketer/robocall etc.....that call gets blocked immediately, whereas some calls only ring once or twice.

As so many telemarketers switch numbers constantly, sometimes I've answered the phone and been the one to add a call to the block list within Mr Number.

omni

When I look at the app store it seems that Mr Number gets a huge number of reviews with a very good rating.

When I look at the app store it seems that Mr Number gets a huge number of reviews with a very good rating.

There's a bunch (I think too much) of call blocking apps in the app store. If you have a day to kill, you can try various ones out. That is, if you have a secondary phone to designate as the "test spam" phone. I spent a few days installing, testing and uninstalling various apps until I found one that really met what I was looking for.

But in your testing, I wouldn't purchase any apps until you know you want that one. Otherwise, you may have buyer's remorse if you come across a better app during the testing.

Android + Mr. Number = Peace and quiet.

A few spam calls get through initially. Over time its accuracy goes up.

Tracfone plan for $99/year keeps our old landline number handy on an additional phone. Also functions on wifi for various lookup tasks while watching movies, etc.

Yes, at the Play Store. Here is a link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a0softus.bestblocker

I think was about $5 and not $3 when I purchased in-app. Well worth the sanity, IMO :).

If you want to not have go to voicemail, then leave phone and call blocker on (with setting to hang up). If you turn off phone, I think it goes to voicemail if a spammer calls. I just leave my phone on (at idle) for that reason as I want the hang up, no voicemail.

WARNING!!! Read the most recent reviews. It appears that the developer made his cash and has run away. The FCC list hasn't been updated in quite a while and I started getting calls that were filtering thorough in some form or fashion (even though I had it set for the strongest level: contacts only, all others to voicemail). Long story short, I dumped it and have gone with Calls Blacklist which is very similar to the above app. You can also opt to not block texts. I have used it for about 2 weeks and it works great. Not a contact of mine? Talk to the voicemail! And as long as you don't mind the ads at the bottom, it is free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vladlee.easyblacklist

Last edited:
WARNING!!! Read the most recent reviews. It appears that the developer made his cash and has run away. The FCC list hasn't been updated in quite a while and I started getting calls that were filtering thorough in some form or fashion (even though I had it set for the strongest level: contacts only, all others to voicemail). Long story short, I dumped it and have gone with Calls Blacklist which is very similar to the above app. You can also opt to not block texts. I have used it for about 2 weeks and it works great. Not a contact of mine? Talk to the voicemail! And as long as you don't mind the ads at the bottom, it is free.

Interesting. I haven't had any issues. I have the app set up to hang up on any number not on my contact list and have never had a caller slip through. Is your phone on all the time? I suspect if the phone is off or maybe if you are in mid call, a caller not on the call list can slip through. I leave my phone on all the time as I don't like having to delete voicemails of people I don't know.

Glad you found one that fits your needs. Does the easyblacklist app hang up and not go to voicemail? That's a feature I really want in a blocking app.

Last edited:

(Bold added by me...)

ExFlyBoy5,

A couple minutes ago, I just had a call sneak by (using the call blocker I recommended) despite having the block and hang up all calls not on my contact list :facepalm:. The blocker eventually hung up but not until after about 10 seconds of the spammer's robocall.

I used to wait for a humanoid and ask to be put on their do-not-call list.
Then one of the humanoids responded with "We can do that! Please wait for the tone"
the next sound I heard was a click and the dial tone... it was infuriating and funny at the same time.

Both our Android phones started doing this a while ago: The phone rings and the display says "Possible Spam" along with an option to answer, hang up, or hang up and block.

If I answer a call, then hang up in the few seconds, I'm prompted to mark the caller as Spam and block the number.

I can also go back into my call history and mark any number as Spam.

I get the impression that Google is collecting these Spam numbers, blocking the ones I asked to block, and letting other users know it might be spam when they get a call from a number I've identified (and vice versa.)

I didn't ask for this, and I didn't install any apps to do this. The Android phone just started doing this on it's own, presumably after an update.

Check it out, see if there's a setting for blocked calls on the menu (three lines) of your phone app, and see if you can select a phone number and mark it as Spam.

I love it. It feels good to not only hang up on the spammers, but to alert others. A small service to humanity.

What worked for me -- I keep a copy of the SIT wave file on my desktop. You know, that annoying 3-note atonal burst that announces "you have reached a non-working number"

When I get an unwanted call, I turn up my speakers and let 'er rip. The caller's software reads the "non-working" tone and will remove your number from their list. If you crank your speakers up to 11.....you can cause some permanent ear damage to whoever is monitoring the calls.

You're Welcome......
Special Information Tones (SIT)-- sit-tone.wav --

Glad you found one that fits your needs. Does the easyblacklist app hang up and not go to voicemail? That's a feature I really want in a blocking app.

Ah, sorry I missed your reply for so long, that is my bad!

It will send the "not in your contacts" number to voicemail, but if they happen to leave one (I would say that 1 in 10 do), you can add them to the blacklist and select "hang up". I personally prefer this since there are times that I do business with folks and I may not know what # they may call me from.

(Bold added by me...)

ExFlyBoy5,

A couple minutes ago, I just had a call sneak by (using the call blocker I recommended) despite having the block and hang up all calls not on my contact list :facepalm:. The blocker eventually hung up but not until after about 10 seconds of the spammer's robocall.

That's how it started "acting up" for me. When I went to look at the settings, I noticed that the FCC database hadn't been updated in quite a while (and refreshing it didn't show a newer date). That's when I went to the app store to see if there was an update and I saw the high number of recent reviews with similar complaints. It really looks like the guy made some decent cash..and well, maybe he went full FIRE. :D SO...if that developer is here, right now..YOUR APP SUCKS NOW! I hope you are enjoying retirement!

After I got several calls making it through for a few days straight, I deleted it from my phone.

I now have been using Calls Blacklist for going on week 3 and it has worked flawlessly. Hopefully, I don't jinx it!

Ah, sorry I missed your reply for so long, that is my bad!

It will send the "not in your contacts" number to voicemail, but if they happen to leave one (I would say that 1 in 10 do), you can add them to the blacklist and select "hang up". I personally prefer this since there are times that I do business with folks and I may not know what # they may call me from.

That's how it started "acting up" for me. When I went to look at the settings, I noticed that the FCC database hadn't been updated in quite a while (and refreshing it didn't show a newer date). That's when I went to the app store to see if there was an update and I saw the high number of recent reviews with similar complaints. It really looks like the guy made some decent cash..and well, maybe he went full FIRE. :D SO...if that developer is here, right now..YOUR APP SUCKS NOW! I hope you are enjoying retirement!

After I got several calls making it through for a few days straight, I deleted it from my phone.

I now have been using Calls Blacklist for going on week 3 and it has worked flawlessly. Hopefully, I don't jinx it!

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to keep an eye on my calls and see if more sneak through. If so, back to the drawing board and will have to try another app like the one you suggested or another.

That's a shame the guy that wrote that app apparently took the money and ran. I actually corresponding with him in the past and he gave really good customer service. He even refunded an app purchase when I initially purchased but didn't know if I shut off the phone calls would go to voice mail. Maybe his leaving wasn't of his own choice. Who knows. Could be health reasons or anything else.

I like your strategy off adding spam voice mailed calls to a blacklist then select hang up. I'd do that for repeat spammers.

I use Calls Blacklist on my Android phone and PhoneTray on our land line. Both work great. I have some fun with Phone Tray, since one can play a recording to respond to a call. I have recorded several "interesting" replies that either fools the caller into thinking they are talking to a real person, or responds with some fictitious corporation/dept that probably scares some of them.

Back
Top Bottom