Do Not Call List / Telemarketers

I had called TMobile about spam a few months ago. This must be new. I just turned it on by calling #662#. Thanks.

Yeah, a few weeks ago I started getting a "scam likely" ID on some of the incoming calls, so I didn't answer :). Once I looked it up I found the info to completely block them.

The Sweet Sound of Silence

Like clockwork, the vermin COMENITY scammer made a call to my landline phone today around 9:30 am. But since I had my Sentry 2 call blocker hooked up in serial last night, didn't hear a ring. Only way found out was checking my caller ID. So, far so good.

Peace and quiet :).

Though I kind of like the "one ring then hang up" to know my blocker is working. But not as often as every couple of hours with one caller :mad:.

On my cell phone I get frequent robocalls from phone numbers which include my area code and begin with the exchange (first 3 digits) of my cell phone. And it's always the same recorded voice with the same sales pitch for some solar energy outfit.

I have been getting exactly these kinds of robocalls to my cell phone recently, and I never pick up. They seem to be getting more frequent, too, so I've been wondering if there is any (inexpensive) technology out there that will block these kinds of calls. Anyone know of an app or service that will deal with this particular kind of call? Seems like it would be very easy to implement -- just enter the area code and 3-digit exchange you want to block, and voila.

I have been getting exactly these kinds of robocalls to my cell phone recently, and I never pick up. They seem to be getting more frequent, too, so I've been wondering if there is any (inexpensive) technology out there that will block these kinds of calls. Anyone know of an app or service that will deal with this particular kind of call? Seems like it would be very easy to implement -- just enter the area code and 3-digit exchange you want to block, and voila.

Telemarketers use the ploy of using numbers that start with your area code + exchange hoping you'd think that's familar and pick up.

To block, you'd need a blocker that allows wild card blocking. But at the same time, the app/device/service needs to have enough smarts to not block out legit callers that you may know using your area code + exchange.

Last edited:
Telemarketers use the ploy of using numbers that start with your area code + exchange hoping you'd think that's familar and pick up.

To block, you'd need a blocker that allows wild card blocking. But at the same time, the app/device/service needs to have enough smarts to not block out legit callers that you may know using your area code + exchange.

It's actually a pretty good tactic, at least initially. The first few times I saw those familiar-looking numbers pop up on my cell phone screen, I was thinking of actually picking up. But now it's like an immediate signal that it's a robocall.

As for the wild card number blocker, the logic would be very simple: Block any number that matches the wildcard unless it's in the user's contact list. I would be willing to pay a fair amount (one time upfront, not monthly) for an app that could do that.

It's actually a pretty good tactic, at least initially. The first few times I saw those familiar-looking numbers pop up on my cell phone screen, I was thinking of actually picking up. But now it's like an immediate signal that it's a robocall.

As for the wild card number blocker, the logic would be very simple: Block any number that matches the wildcard unless it's in the user's contact list. I would be willing to pay a fair amount (one time upfront, not monthly) for an app that could do that.

Also, for me the older I get, the more difficulty seeing small text. So, looking at a number that shows 123-456 I might think that's from someone I know at first glance.

Yes, that's the logic you mentioned. Sounds simple enough.

If my Sentry landline blocker device somehow messes up (so far so good, but some reviews say the the device dies one day, or locks up the line in serial mode -- the way I have connected now), I'm looking at a Digitone brand that has all kinds (maybe too much) of settings like wildcard blocking/including, blocking/including certain area codes and exchanges and numbers.

I think it was discussed in this thread, Mr Number worked well for DW.

Well, after one day reprieve, that COMENITY scammer is still trying and trying to call. As early as about 8:15 am today. But, since I got my blocker connected to not hear any rings and my phone extension ringer is off, silence is golden :D.

Still some nerve. COMENTIY uses 3 area codes and varies the numbers.

My trick is to use Conditional Call Forwarding. I have a free Google Voice number that I give out to salespeople and others I don't want to be hounded by (*cough* Personal Capital *cough*). Google Voice sends me a text with a transcript of any message, as well as an email with a link so I can hear it for myself.

But I also have set my phone to forward rejected, unreachable, or busy calls directly to my Google Voice number. This takes care of callers I don't recognize. On T-Mobile, the codes are as follows. The "[CALL]" button is the green one, sometimes labeled Send.

From the phone keypad:

No Answer: **61*[destination]*[seconds]# [CALL]
Unreachable **62*[destination]# [CALL]
Busy **67*[destination]# [CALL]

To turn off any of these, it’s ##61#, ##62#, etc. Or just turn them all of with ##004#.

On AT&T, omit the first asterisk. On Verizon, No Answer Transfer is *71[destination] [CALL]. Busy Transfer is *90[destination] [CALL]. To deactivate, it's *73 [CALL] or *900 [CALL], respectively.

Ah, sorry I missed your reply for so long, that is my bad!

It will send the "not in your contacts" number to voicemail, but if they happen to leave one (I would say that 1 in 10 do), you can add them to the blacklist and select "hang up". I personally prefer this since there are times that I do business with folks and I may not know what # they may call me from.

That's how it started "acting up" for me. When I went to look at the settings, I noticed that the FCC database hadn't been updated in quite a while (and refreshing it didn't show a newer date). That's when I went to the app store to see if there was an update and I saw the high number of recent reviews with similar complaints. It really looks like the guy made some decent cash..and well, maybe he went full FIRE. :D SO...if that developer is here, right now..YOUR APP SUCKS NOW! I hope you are enjoying retirement!

After I got several calls making it through for a few days straight, I deleted it from my phone.

I now have been using Calls Blacklist for going on week 3 and it has worked flawlessly. Hopefully, I don't jinx it!

Just a follow up...

I went ahead and pulled the plug and uninstalled that call blocker app and now am using a simplified free one called, simply "Call Blocker-Blacklist" that seems to work (knock on wood). The one I use now doesn't do hang up/no voice mail but that's okay. I'll have to put up with the straight to voicemail calls.

Last edited:
Browsing at Amazon today and came across a landline call blocker that looks awfully like a Sentry 2.0 call blocker. I wonder if the creators of the Sentry are also building under a different name or is this a case of imitation is the best form of flattery.
From reading the sparse instructions, there are a few features the iPrivacy has over my Sentry 2.0 blocker. So, I'll have to keep an eye on the reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/iPrivacy-Whi...6202793&sr=8-3&keywords=iprivacy+call+blocker

Attachments

• sentry 2.0.jpg
    sentry 2.0.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 82
  • iprivacyw.jpg
    iprivacyw.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 17
  • iprivacy.jpg
    iprivacy.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
A followup...

Got my new call blocker in the mail yesterday and finished setting up today.

I know several folks here have Sentry blocker (myself included with 2.0) so thought this might be of interest.

The [-]knock off [/-] call blocker I got offers some improvements (in my opinion) over the Sentry.

1) backlit screen that runs on 3 AAA batteries
2) ability to add numbers to whitelist by using the numeric keypad from an external phone
3) no sneak on whitelist adds where a caller can press zero, call back and get added on.

The user instructions that came with are definitely in Chinglish and a bit difficult to interpret. But if you have a Sentry 1.0 or 2.0, the buttons should be already familiar.

As for size, the new blocker is more standard caller id box size as compared to my Sentry 2.0.

Attachments

• with sentry.JPG
    with sentry.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Nice. If I had a house phone still, I'd get one of these. Now I get to block them from my cell. It's quite satisfying! [emoji16]

Well, I spoke too soon.

The [-]knock off[/-] call blocker still needs some bugs to shake off.

Had a phone call, and in mid call, the "This phone is being protected" message went on a couple of times. I had to unplug. The thing doesn't know what's a live accepted call and a new call. So, time to return.

Too bad, as was starting to like too :mad:.

Back to the Sentry for me.

We use Ooma call blocking turned on plus anyone not on our contact list goes to voicemail. This has been the most effective way of shutting off unwanted calls. Every once in a while we get a 3-4 second blank voice mail from an unknown number that gets through all the community block lists which we then add to our own call blocking list. The problem now is they are call our mobile phones.

We use Ooma call blocking turned on plus anyone not on our contact list goes to voicemail. This has been the most effective way of shutting off unwanted calls.
Same thing I do. If it’s someone I need to talk to, they’ll leave a message. I’ve only had one telemarketer/scammer leave a message in many years (the one was the IRS scam, they actually left a threatening message, which I ignored of course).

And of course if it’s the same area code and prefix as mine, it’s a scam for sure! Sad. I get those almost daily.

Back
Top Bottom