Do Not Call List / Telemarketers

Easysurfer: On my iPhone 6, when the phone rings the number calling is displayed (or if not transmitted is blank). If I do not recognize it, I press the button in the upper right corner that is the turn me off if you hold me long enough. I decline to memorize whatever Apple decides to call things. The phone stops ringing audibly, and when it has rung the number of times it is going to then the call goes to voice mail. If legitimate, there is a message, otherwise not. All I know is that I used to get 10 or so calls a day, now I get one or two.

Easysurfer: On my iPhone 6, when the phone rings the number calling is displayed (or if not transmitted is blank). If I do not recognize it, I press the button in the upper right corner that is the turn me off if you hold me long enough. I decline to memorize whatever Apple decides to call things. The phone stops ringing audibly, and when it has rung the number of times it is going to then the call goes to voice mail. If legitimate, there is a message, otherwise not. All I know is that I used to get 10 or so calls a day, now I get one or two.

For me, I still want a hang up, don't go to voice mail option. But if not, then I'll have to live with go directly to voice mail (if not on contact list). There's a balance between simplicity and spending too much time making the blocker "work". The "turn off" on the corner of the iphone6 sounds like a good feature.

No problem here. If the number is not in our contact list, the call will not be accepted. We don't pickup landline anymore.

I haven't read this entire thread but if it hasn't been mentioned, the "Mr Number" free app works really well to screen unwanted calls. It intercepts spam/telemarketer calls after a single ring.

Agree. It works really well. It's rare a spam call gets through.

We are very happy with this CPR CallBlocker V500 that I bought on Amazon a few weeks ago. It comes with a known 5,000-number database of scammer, robocallers phone numbers, etc. To block others, just hit the big red "Block Now" if you're there, or it records the originating numbers of the last 20 callers so you can block those too if one is one you don't want. So far we've only had to block an additional eight numbers and the robocalls have dropped to nothing. Out of the box there was a noticeable drop in the number of robocalls before we added any.

Most of the time the phone never rings for a blocked call but once in a while we'll get one ring before it is blocked.

A couple of weeks ago, my phone suddenly starting displaying "Scam Likely" on some of the incoming calls. So I didn't answer them. And they must have been scam calls because for about 10 such ID'd calls so far, the caller has never left a message - a great filter.

It turns out that T-Mobile starting rolling out this Scan ID feature earlier this year.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/24/15048812/tmobile-scam-call-warnings

So nice!

I won't have to block calls anymore. I had done that for some of the regular scammers, but they then just call from a different number.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago, my phone suddenly starting displaying "Scam Likely" on some of the incoming calls. So I didn't answer them. And they must have been scam calls because for about 10 such ID'd calls so far, the caller has never left a message - a great filter.

It turns out that T-Mobile starting rolling out this feature earlier this year.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/24/15048812/tmobile-scam-call-warnings

So nice!

I won't have to block calls anymore. I had done that for some of the regular scammers, but they then just call from a different number.
My beef is that one has to listen to the phone ringing. So it's not a total solution.

I think the blocking of calls only works if they are coming from the same source. I don't know how call spoofing technically works, but I think the telemarketers are using that technique from a single source. So the numbers are false ones and one is just blocking a false number.

The Nomorobo site said that it was working on a solution for Android phones. There is a beta program for early access.

Apparently they have a solution for Iphones.

I just bought an Ooma (VOIP) for the house phone and with Premier Service ($10/month) their is Nomorobo on that. Hopefully that will help.

I don't know how call spoofing technically works, but I think the telemarketers are using that technique from a single source. So the numbers are false ones and one is just blocking a false number.

I've read that too and that's why we both like the callblocker that we bought. We're now up to 18 blocked numbers in addition to the ones that came with it. One of them used to call ~three or four times a day! I'll give them a point for tenacity though.

And I'm now getting recorded calls left on my cell phone number. I've had it for about ten years and use it about once a month and very few people have that number. So the robocallers must be dialing every number in a given exchange and if it answers they play the recording. I'd bring back public flogging for those vermin.

My beef is that one has to listen to the phone ringing. So it's not a total solution.

I think the blocking of calls only works if they are coming from the same source. I don't know how call spoofing technically works, but I think the telemarketers are using that technique from a single source. So the numbers are false ones and one is just blocking a false number.
Can even turn off the phone ringing if you want - apparently you can completely block the call and not even get ringing. That is what DH is doing now. I may turn this feature on soon. The options for Scam ID and Scam Block are listed here: https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/24/how-to-block-scam-calls-iphone-t-mobile/

And apparently this is just for scammers, not telemarketers, but of the 3 or 4 different calls I would get weekly with recorded messages trying to sell me this or that, these seem to be all blocked, so good enough for me. You can see how it works from the above article:
T-Mobile says its service works by comparing phone numbers to a list of “tens of thousands” of known scammers. The database is constantly updated, the company says, by analyzing call patterns. So it sounds like T-Mobile might catch on to new scam numbers if it notices a bunch of subscribers immediately hanging up on a number they’ve never contacted before.

Last edited:
Another article of interest:

FCC takes steps to block more spammy robocalls:

The Federal Communications Commission took steps to cut down on spammy robocalls today, passing a rule proposal that could eventually let phone companies block more unwanted calls.

The proposal would let phone companies block robocallers from using numbers they aren’t supposed to be using. If a robocaller decides to spoof another phone number — making it appear that they’re calling from a different line to hide their identity — phone providers would be able to block them if they use a number that clearly can’t exist because it hasn’t been assigned or that an existing subscriber has asked not to have spoofed.

The proposal was passed in a 3-0 vote. “Robocalls are the number one consumer complaint to the FCC from members of the American public,” FCC chairman Ajit Pai said. “We aim to take an important first step in ending the scourge of illegal robocalls.”
from https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/23/15034556/fcc-robocall-spoofed-number-block-list-proposal-vote

On my cell phone I get frequent robocalls from phone numbers which include my area code and begin with the exchange (first 3 digits) of my cell phone. And it's always the same recorded voice with the same sales pitch for some solar energy outfit.

I hate getting the ring. I'm always napping or in the middle of making food or doing something which is not easy to get away from.

Signing up at donotcall.gov used to work for me. When we started seeing an increase in calls, I re-added us, since your sign up expires after time. We got even MORE calls. I guess I should report them but who has the time?

I have an app-free solution that has helped. When you get your first spam call, make a contact called Blocked to VM (voicemail) with that number. Go into the options and make sure the call is set to go into VM instead of ringing. For my phone you Edit the Contact and click All Calls to Voicemail.

Add subsequent spam numbers to that list. Of course the phone will ring the first time from each new number. But a lot of these calls can be from the same number.

I don't answer any number that doesn't display from my contact list now. I figure if it's really important they'll leave a VM. But there is some satisfaction in adding those spam numbers, knowing they're wasting their time and resources calling me because I won't hear them call and they'll just get my vm, to which they never leave a message anyway.

DW told me today that after a few weeks she is getting many spam calls blocked by Mr. Number i.e. no ringing at all. Free app.

My landline has gotten bombarded with a spam caller called COMENITY a little over the past week. I've counted 25 calls with different area coded and numbers.

Even with a Sentry call blocker (that rings once), the frequency of the calls are getting annoying.

Last edited:
Grrr! Been keeping track. That darn COMENITY has already called 5 times today pestering me.

We just ported our landline to Ooma premium. So far the score is zero for the robocallers. Before we were getting around 3 per weekday.

Because of the Do Not Call list, there is an increasing number of businesses that now use door knocking to promote their business and sell. This is more annoying that cold calls. I understand they have a job to do, but don't want strangers at my door. I sometimes get five to six people per day, selling something at my door. I may get a no soliciting sign, but I've heard from other people that these signs have no effect on salespeople. They just walk up and knock anyway.

We also get robo calls and just hang up. I'm sure about 99% of other people do, also. I can't imagine robo calls generate much business for companies, do they?

Grrr! Been keeping track. That darn COMENITY has already called 5 times today pestering me.

Comenity Bank
PO Box 182273
Columbus, Ohio 43218
1-800-675-5685

Comenity Capital Bank
PO Box 183003
Columbus, Ohio 43218
1-855-506-2496

It's going to be a telemarketer for one of these divisions of this bank.

Inasmuch as you can identify them, legal action is possible , but will take a lot of time and effort.

You might have to spoof your way to get a live human on the phone if the call center number requires an account number. An option like an option like "account fraud" or "stolen card "will do it.

When you get to talk to a human on the phone, as for the office of the General Council.

Last edited:
Because of the Do Not Call list, there is an increasing number of businesses that now use door knocking to promote their business and sell. This is more annoying that cold calls. I understand they have a job to do, but don't want strangers at my door. I sometimes get five to six people per day, selling something at my door. I may get a no soliciting sign, but I've heard from other people that these signs have no effect on salespeople. They just walk up and knock anyway.

Hit the manual switch on the lawn sprinklers :angel:

Comenity Bank
PO Box 182273
Columbus, Ohio 43218
1-800-675-5685

Comenity Capital Bank
PO Box 183003
Columbus, Ohio 43218
1-855-506-2496

It's going to be a telemarketer for one of these divisions of this bank.

Inasmuch as you can identify them, legal action is possible , but will take a lot of time and effort.

You might have to spoof your way to get a live human on the phone if the call center number requires an account number. You might an option like "account fraud" or "stolen card "will do it.

When you get to talk to a human on the phone, as for the office of the General Council.

Thanks. But I'm not even sure if it truly is Comenity Bank or someone spoofing the name and number. From what I read, the number(s) calling me might be scammers posing as collectors on behalf of Comenity.

I went ahead changed the connection around to my call blocker that now should not even ring the phone unless I get a legit caller on my whitelist. If that works, I'm happy enough just to not have the bothersome ringing. If this doesn't work, I may need a better blocker.

The T-mobile spammer block seems to be working pretty well. I used to get about 5 calls a week, and now nothing. The first week I turned on the block, I had one come through (not labeled scam likely) and since nothing. So nice and quiet!

The T-mobile spammer block seems to be working pretty well. I used to get about 5 calls a week, and now nothing. The first week I turned on the block, I had one come through (not labeled scam likely) and since nothing. So nice and quiet!
I had called TMobile about spam a few months ago. This must be new. I just turned it on by calling #662#. Thanks.

We also get robo calls and just hang up. I'm sure about 99% of other people do, also. I can't imagine robo calls generate much business for companies, do they?

This is the thing which gets me (and everyone else): If the robocaller/spammers know we are not interested in their products or services, and we don't want to be called, why do they keep calling those same numbers all the time? What kind of successful business model includes intentionally calling people who have already said NO NO NO NO over and over and over, and violates the law in doing this? And they have a list of people (do-not-call-list) who have already indicated they will say NO NO NO NO and don't want to be called, so wouldn't it save those spammers time and money to simply not try to call those people whose answers they already know beforehand? And how do these people sleep at night knowing that all they do is to annoy people who did nothing to deserve getting annoyed like that. :facepalm:

This is the thing which gets me (and everyone else): If the robocaller/spammers know we are not interested in their products or services, and we don't want to be called, why do they keep calling those same numbers all the time? What kind of successful business model includes intentionally calling people who have already said NO NO NO NO over and over and over, and violates the law in doing this? And they have a list of people (do-not-call-list) who have already indicated they will say NO NO NO NO and don't want to be called, so wouldn't it save those spammers time and money to simply not try to call those people whose answers they already know beforehand? And how do these people sleep at night knowing that all they do is to annoy people who did nothing to deserve getting annoyed like that. :facepalm:

Very simple. You are a verified, live person , and therefore a chance, however small, of becoming a customer. Casting a broad net millions of times per hour , with telemarketers, some offshore, being paid pennies per hour in some cases. The system must work, or they would not be doing it. This is part of the new economy:(.

Back
Top Bottom