Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Can psychics really contact the spirits of dead people?
NO WAY they are con artists plain and simple 74 77.89%
I doubt it but I do think there is some chance it's for real 14 14.74%
It might be just fraud but I think it's probably for real 3 3.16%
It's DEFINITELY for real they actually talk to the spirits 4 4.21%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
One time I sat in a room full of 100 verified practicing psychics, all of which admitted to the fact that their practice was a sham and then each went on to sign an affidavit, under penalty of perjury, that restated that their practice was a sham.

Does this fact have any bearing on the veracity or falsehood of the claim that psychics can contact the dead?
Really? Or are you ****ing with us?

Tell me more.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
One time I sat in a room full of 100 verified practicing psychics, all of which admitted to the fact that their practice was a sham and then each went on to sign an affidavit, under penalty of perjury, that restated that their practice was a sham.

Does this fact have any bearing on the veracity or falsehood of the claim that psychics can contact the dead?
Probably not those 100 guys.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
He ran all your license plates before he came in for dinner?
He was there before us. If he was a fraud, he is going about it the wrong way since he probably could have hit us up for another reading but never did. I would have paid another $20 to hear what else he had to say given the accuracy of his information.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:22 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW! Thanks for the responses everyone!

I'm surprised by the results. I thought more people believed in them....but at least not on here!...thank goodness!

One of the big problems I have with it is I think a lot of people get ripped off by them and I will explain what I mean.

I won't go into it but I got ripped off with junk science at a young age and it really turned me off to things that are totally unproven. I had to do hard physical work to make the money I wasted on something I thought was for real and It hurt! I think it bothers me even more to see others riped off.

Now if a psychic wanted to say that they are really not contacting spirits of dead loved ones and this is for fun and they make the $1400 an hour doing it like at least one of the top ones does. Well then I'm fine with it.

But the only way that someone would pay $700 for a half hour reading that isn't a multi millionaire is if they thought for sure you were able to talk to their lost loved ones.

Now if they are not actually talking to them this is total fraud and $700 may not be a lot of money to a psychic but I know quite a few people to whom that is a lot of money. It's a lot of money to me.

On top of that I have heard one prominent psychic actually make medical diagnoses on tv and also tell what drug to take!

Now just imagine that a psychic tells someone that believes in them to take a certain drug. They will probably not be satisfied until they take it no matter how inappropriate it is or how dangerous...just because some psychic told them this!

One other example. I know a girl who has a nice husband I like the guy a lot...he is just a nice guy and a good person. Well his wife believes in psychics and she went to one that told her she would have two husbands in her life. I can't help but think she probably will treat her husband worse as a result of this or even force a divorce in some way because of this psychics stupid BS.

If I tell you that I'm going to say put a deck on your house and you pay me up front to do it and I never do it, it would be considered stealing. I think the same applies to a psychic who charges you $700 and never actually does what you paid them for.

Yet this is legal!

It's easy enough to prove if this is accurate that is why no one will step up and do it.

Jim
Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

People believing in unbelievable crap is called "faith". The whole premise of faith is that you don't need proof or evidence to support your beliefs. That's all fine and dandy until your irrational beliefs start affecting other people.

But it is rude to challenge one's faith even when it isn't grounded in evidence. So it is best to just let people get tricked I suppose.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #46
gone traveling

I had a premonition that we would have a thread like this.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
I had a premonition that we would have a thread like this.
Yeah! Hooray!

Unfortunately predictions are only ok when presented before the event.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I just posted a new thread and poll about belief in aliens.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ife-37460.html
Old 07-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #49

what happens when the proof of your beliefs shred, like when a physicist enters a black hole?

if you want spirituality for sale, there's always deepak.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

There's a funny little show on USA Network, Psych, where a detective pretends to be a psychic so the police department will pay for his services--shows how he zeroes in on little clue-things and then pretends they're being revealed to him by the spirits.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Yeah! Hooray!

Unfortunately predictions are only ok when presented before the event.

...but I did predict early retirement for most of the people on this board before I ever registered.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #52

So, out of 69 people we have 4 that really believe. 2 of the 4 are actually talking to people on the other side.

Man, what's going on in their heads?
Old 07-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
...but I did predict early retirement for most of the people on this board before I ever registered.
Nice try, no cigar.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I'm screwed. A month before I retired early, I said I'd never retire early.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
So, out of 69 people we have 4 that really believe. 2 of the 4 are actually talking to people on the other side.

Man, what's going on in their heads?

I think I know:

Why does this rub me the wrong way?
Ok, I normally avoid this forum, but for 2 days on the news I've heard about the "first war crimes trial" being held at Guantanamo, and I'm afraid I can't hold it back any more.

So, the nation that refuses to be bound by the Hague court, that had its soldiers stand by and watch while hospitals in Baghdad were looted (contrary to the Geneva convention), that tortured and humiliated Iraqi prisoners, that illegally invaded a country to steal its oil, that....(the list could go on and on) now presumes to conduct a "war crimes" trial. And this at a facility, the primary purpose of which is to detain and torture people indefinitely at the whim of the government while according them no rights?

Just put on the sheets and find a tree. At least it would be more honest.

Yes, many of the folks in Guantanamo are not nice, and now that they are in custody, it is a problem of what to do with them. Put that in the category of "shoulda thought about that before you created the problem" along with most of the current US foreign policy. But a war crimes trial? Gimme a break!

The hubris of the current US government is nearly unfathomable.

The only court that should be conducting war crimes trials is in the Hague, and certainly not a military tribunal called by a belligerent government that arguably has committed its share of war crimes. If the evidence for war crimes can stand up to an actual real court, than send it to the Hague and have at it.

Just my $.02--I'm sure there are plenty of folks who strongly disagree with my take on this. But lets not forget that one of the main architects of this policy (a certain Mr. Cheney) was happily chatting up Saddam Hussein in Iraq as he gassed Kurds.

I'm not sure what the other one is thinking.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I voted no way like 75% of you folks...Of course, there are probably a good number of folks who may think me a bit wacky for believing in God.
that's actually very interesting. i don't think it is worth a separate thread which i think would wind up in the soapbox anyway but it would have been interesting to see how many of those who don't believe in psychics do believe in god.

a while back, out of curiosity, i once visited the Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp and sat in on their sunday service. if i remember right, it was explained during one of the sermons? lectures? talks? that mediums did not believe in god the way god is described in judeo-christian belief.

so i guess that's fair, you don't believe in them and they don't believe in you (you generic, not anyone in specific). fortunately--at least from my perspective--for me, i am a man of no beliefs and little knowledge. my ignorance is my bliss.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 07-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #57

rather than going to the trouble to take this poll, wouldn't it have been easier to just ask a psyhcic what the responses would have been?
Old 07-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

What's wrong with sidekicks?

Where would the Lone Ranger be without Tonto? Batman without Robin? Quicksdraw without Baba-Lou?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

lazygood4nothinbum

Make a poll like that I will vote on it.

If someone doesn't like it oh well...I don;t see anything hurtful about that.

I got more negative responses about my poll about if you sleep on your back or not than if you believe in psychics.

Jim
Old 07-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #60

didn't notice any negative response to your sleep poll. if anything it looked to me as if you received positive responses including personal experience and advice plus stories veering off your stated point but staying within the boundries of the poll which, um, postured less precisely a point about a specific health issue and more a point of position & conscious state.

as to a separate thread as proposed here, it is all yours if you want it. i already play champion to challenge how others see themselves as sexual beings and i get rather tired of being thrown to the back of the bus on that. far be it from me to presume challanging anyone's spiritual beliefs. 'less my words be taken the wrong way. the back of the bus is one thing, under it, quite another.

but it should be noted that the likes of psychicness is far from incompatible with religious experience. indeed, does not every major religion and native culture have some sort of so-called mystical aspect whether that is the rosicrusianism of christianity or jewish kabbalah, or muslim sufism, whether native american shamanism or sorcery or in buddhism the dream or kundalini yogas, etc.

but if anyone wants to consider why psychicness might seem incompatible with religion, then i would simply question which inhibits direct experience of that which is worshipped & why.