Do you believe in psychics? anonymous poll

Can psychics really contact the spirits of dead people?

• NO WAY they are con artists plain and simple

Votes: 74 78.7%
  • I doubt it but I do think there is some chance it's for real

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • It might be just fraud but I think it's probably for real

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • It's DEFINITELY for real they actually talk to the spirits

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
Yeah! Hooray!
grin.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

Unfortunately predictions are only ok when presented before the event.

...but I did predict early retirement for most of the people on this board before I ever registered.:D

So, out of 69 people we have 4 that really believe. 2 of the 4 are actually talking to people on the other side.

Man, what's going on in their heads?

So, out of 69 people we have 4 that really believe. 2 of the 4 are actually talking to people on the other side.

Man, what's going on in their heads?

I think I know:

Why does this rub me the wrong way?
Ok, I normally avoid this forum, but for 2 days on the news I've heard about the "first war crimes trial" being held at Guantanamo, and I'm afraid I can't hold it back any more.

So, the nation that refuses to be bound by the Hague court, that had its soldiers stand by and watch while hospitals in Baghdad were looted (contrary to the Geneva convention), that tortured and humiliated Iraqi prisoners, that illegally invaded a country to steal its oil, that....(the list could go on and on) now presumes to conduct a "war crimes" trial. And this at a facility, the primary purpose of which is to detain and torture people indefinitely at the whim of the government while according them no rights?

Just put on the sheets and find a tree. At least it would be more honest.

Yes, many of the folks in Guantanamo are not nice, and now that they are in custody, it is a problem of what to do with them. Put that in the category of "shoulda thought about that before you created the problem" along with most of the current US foreign policy. But a war crimes trial? Gimme a break!

The hubris of the current US government is nearly unfathomable.

The only court that should be conducting war crimes trials is in the Hague, and certainly not a military tribunal called by a belligerent government that arguably has committed its share of war crimes. If the evidence for war crimes can stand up to an actual real court, than send it to the Hague and have at it.

Just my $.02--I'm sure there are plenty of folks who strongly disagree with my take on this. But lets not forget that one of the main architects of this policy (a certain Mr. Cheney) was happily chatting up Saddam Hussein in Iraq as he gassed Kurds.

I'm not sure what the other one is thinking.

I voted no way like 75% of you folks...Of course, there are probably a good number of folks who may think me a bit wacky for believing in God.

that's actually very interesting. i don't think it is worth a separate thread which i think would wind up in the soapbox anyway but it would have been interesting to see how many of those who don't believe in psychics do believe in god.

a while back, out of curiosity, i once visited the Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp and sat in on their sunday service. if i remember right, it was explained during one of the sermons? lectures? talks? that mediums did not believe in god the way god is described in judeo-christian belief.

so i guess that's fair, you don't believe in them and they don't believe in you (you generic, not anyone in specific). fortunately--at least from my perspective--for me, i am a man of no beliefs and little knowledge. my ignorance is my bliss.

rather than going to the trouble to take this poll, wouldn't it have been easier to just ask a psyhcic what the responses would have been?

What's wrong with sidekicks?

Where would the Lone Ranger be without Tonto? Batman without Robin? Quicksdraw without Baba-Lou?

lazygood4nothinbum

Make a poll like that I will vote on it.

If someone doesn't like it oh well...I don;t see anything hurtful about that.

I got more negative responses about my poll about if you sleep on your back or not than if you believe in psychics.

Jim

didn't notice any negative response to your sleep poll. if anything it looked to me as if you received positive responses including personal experience and advice plus stories veering off your stated point but staying within the boundries of the poll which, um, postured less precisely a point about a specific health issue and more a point of position & conscious state.

as to a separate thread as proposed here, it is all yours if you want it. i already play champion to challenge how others see themselves as sexual beings and i get rather tired of being thrown to the back of the bus on that. far be it from me to presume challanging anyone's spiritual beliefs. 'less my words be taken the wrong way. the back of the bus is one thing, under it, quite another.

but it should be noted that the likes of psychicness is far from incompatible with religious experience. indeed, does not every major religion and native culture have some sort of so-called mystical aspect whether that is the rosicrusianism of christianity or jewish kabbalah, or muslim sufism, whether native american shamanism or sorcery or in buddhism the dream or kundalini yogas, etc.

but if anyone wants to consider why psychicness might seem incompatible with religion, then i would simply question which inhibits direct experience of that which is worshipped & why.

This is going to spark a lively discussion....I can just sense it!
Being the resident board artist and into the supernatural /energy mumbo jumbo....I do beleive in psychics. I have been to a couple of bad ones, but I have also gone to two really good ones who would never have known the details of my life based just on my birthday and my name.
I have always had the philosophy that anything is possible and probable in this vast universe and try to keep a very open mind.

One of the people from CSI who debunks psychics and such says he always approaches them with an open mind.
CSI On-line: Scientifically Investigating Paranormal and Fringe Science Claims

Research at the above site and you will find out the techniques used.
Houdine spent a great deal of his time exposing the tricks of psychics and such.
Read this site also:
Home - James Randi Educational Foundation

Challenge Info - James Randi Educational Foundation

There is a lot of good info on the CSI site.

Argument from Ignorance and Open Minds (Skeptical Inquirer January 1998)
-- an argument from ignorance -- broadly of the following kind:

1. No one has disproved p (where p stands for any hypothesis, e.g., psychics are able to communicate with the dead; some alien abduction accounts are true).
  2. So it is possible that p is true.
  3. If it is possible that p is true, then we should keep our minds open to the investigation of p's truth.
Conclusion: We should keep our minds open to the investigation of p's truth.

They See Dead People-Or Do They? (Skeptical Inquirer Sep 2003)
They See Dead People - Or Do They?

An Investigation of Television Mediums

John Edward: Hustling the Bereaved; Investigative Files (Skeptical Inquirer November 2001)
John Edward: Hustling the Bereaved

‘Psychics’ Fail to Foresee Their Own Fortunes

"Sir Arthur," remembered Ernst, "came to the conclusion that Houdini really accomplished the feat by psychic aid, and could not be persuaded otherwise." Doyle's reaction, and the refusal to consider trickery even when admitted by the trickster, was so typical, noted Houdini, that "here is little wonder in his believing in Spiritualism so implicitly."
Houdini's Impossible Demonstration; Notes on a Strange World (Skeptical Inquirer July/August 2006)

Although mainstream science has never validated any psychic ability, self-styled clairvoyants, diviners, spirit mediums, and soothsayers continue to sell their fantasies—and in some cases to shrewdly purvey their cons—to a credulous public. Particularly disturbing is a resurgence of alleged psychic crime-solving.
The Case of the ‘Psychic Detectives’; Investigative Files (Skeptical Inquirer August 2005)

Lazygood4nothinbum

I just had someone think it was stupid and didn't like the way it was worded...but zero complaints on the psychics poll.

I made a God poll in the soap box. I thought about it and I would like to see the results so what the heck!

Dex

Nice posts!

Jim

There is a lot of good info on the CSI site.

Argument from Ignorance and Open Minds (Skeptical Inquirer January 1998)
-- an argument from ignorance -- broadly of the following kind:

1. No one has disproved p (where p stands for any hypothesis, e.g., psychics are able to communicate with the dead; some alien abduction accounts are true).
  2. So it is possible that p is true.
  3. If it is possible that p is true, then we should keep our minds open to the investigation of p's truth.
Conclusion: We should keep our minds open to the investigation of p's truth.

http://www.csicop.org/si/2003-09/seeing-dead-people.html

I have had a long standing argument with a person about alien abductions, satanic sacrifices, and cults of child molesters (aka day care centers). She is of the opinion that I do not have an open mind. I am of the opinion that her mind is so open that everything fell out.

I have had a long standing argument with a person about alien abductions, satanic sacrifices, and cults of child molesters (aka day care centers). She is of the opinion that I do not have an open mind. I am of the opinion that her mind is so open that everything fell out.

That does seem to be the tendency.

Martha

That is what your brain is for. To sort out information. If you see something that dose not make sense then you shouldn't believe it!

Unfortunately there is a lot of people who believe in things that have absolutely no basis at all!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom