Do you think that the folks that followed Hitler were truly unique human beings?

Re: Do you think that the folks that followed Hitler were truly unique human bei

Cool Dood said:
I guess it was a bit of pointless Internet wankery

Yes indeed.  Excellent analysis of your own post!  But, of course, you have the right to say it and I support that. :-*

Re: Do you think that the folks that followed Hitler were truly unique human bei

youbet said:
Yes indeed. Excellent analysis of your own post! But, of course, you have the right to say it and I support that. :-*

Hey, doesn't that describe pretty much your whole oeuvre? :bat:

Here's an illustrative map:

(I hope this doesn't screw up the page layout... if it does, I'll try to fix it, or mods feel free to step in.)

adherents.gif

There are perhaps a few surprises......

Cool Dood said:
Hey, doesn't that describe pretty much your whole oeuvre?  :bat:

Ouch! First the verbal onslaught. Then the dreaded bat swinging emoticon. Uncle! Uncle!

Cool Dood said:
There are perhaps a few surprises......

Like what?

wab said:
Like what?

I'm surprised by the low numbers for southern Ohio.

CoolDood,
Interesting map--thanks.

Martha said:
North Dakota.

I've never been there, but I've seen the movie "Fargo." I think it's a variation of the "there are no atheists in fox-holes" theme.

WanderALot said:
Religion is often used by people to justify horrific acts, but that does not mean that those horrific acts are sanctioned by the religion.

Quite true, as is the case with non-religious originated violence.

However, if you'll read the list of occurences I posted, you'll see that just about every major religion has in fact sanctioned and driven violence that frankly made the nazi's look like pussies.

I'm pretty sure that when the Pope is issuing edicts, that counts as an official sanction.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
However, if you'll read the list of occurences I posted, you'll see that just about every major religion has in fact sanctioned and driven violence that frankly made the nazi's look like pussies.

Now come on, 10 million killed in concentration camps I think trumps just about anything anybody else has done, not for lack of trying....maybe Stalin's purges compare.

If you consider volume the chief measurement.

Wiping out a whole village, burning the children and old folks in front of the parents while you gut them to make sure they didnt swallow any valuables...fully sanctioned by a religious leader...

Some of this **** ran on for decades, or on and off over a period of over a hundred years.

There were a lot of crusades and crusade spinoffs.

By the way, before someone takes license with my intent and spreads it across three threads in defiance of anything I actually said, I'm not trying to say that religion is the worst thing, that its caused the worst violence or the worst volume of violence.

Simply that almost every major religion has engaged in directed, wholesale, really unpleasant violence against their own people or non-believers/heathens. And looking at the original thread topic, that the nazi's arent unique at all - man has perpetuated horrible violence against man for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes for some pretty lousy ones. Sometimes with "authorization". Often without.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Ever notice all serial killers and assasins are known by all three names?

Isn't their middle name always Wayne or Lee?

Mike D.

so Illinoisians are more religious than Indianans, and New Yorkers much more religious than West Virginians--and perhaps even than South Carolinians--my, my!

The most valuable indicator of whether a person has the same NAZI tendency to follow any hate-mongerinig leader is "POST COUNT". How much does a person desire attention, and that's your NAZI!

astromeria said:
so Illinoisians are more religious than Indianans, and New Yorkers much more religious than West Virginians--and perhaps even than South Carolinians--my, my!

Yeah, look at that!  The Illini, expresssed as a percentage of religious organization members to total population, seem to be leading the Hoosiers!  Who would have thought?  Of course, come to think of it, we Illini are a very Blue State while those Hoosiers are a very Red State.

I wonder if being a "member" of a church, temple or mosque is the same as being "religious?"

MikeD said:
Isn't their middle name always Wayne or Lee?
Mike D.
Took me a while to track this down on Chuck Shepherd's "News of the Weird" website:

"* Arrested recently and awaiting trial for murder: Bruce Wayne
Potts, 34 (DeSoto, Tex., February); Oral Wayne Nobles, 71
(arrested in Kingman, Ariz., on a Massachusetts warrant, April);
Ronald Wayne Spencer Jr., 19 (Richardson, Tex., April). Arrested
and suspected of murder: Darrell Wayne Lewis, 32 (Tempe, Ariz.,
March). Sentenced for murder: David Wayne Hickman (Dallas,
Tex., May); Anthony Wayne Welch, 27 (Viera, Fla., March).
Committed suicide while serving life in prison for murder: John
Wayne Glover, 72 (Sydney, Australia, September 2005). [Dallas
Morning News, 2-2-06] [Boston Globe, 4-4-06] [Dallas Morning
News, 4-12-06] [Arizona Republic, 3-15-06] [Dallas Morning
News, 5-12-06] [Miami Herald-AP, 3-8-06] [Sydney Morning
Herald, 9-9-05]"

http://NewsoftheWeird.blogspot.com

Back
Top Bottom