Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you usually use your own bags at the grocery store?
Yes 23 33.82%
No 45 66.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use your own bags at the grocery store?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you use your own bags at the grocery store?

That is, do you take your own tote bags to the grocery store instead of using "paper or plastic?"

I almost never see anyone do this. Tried it recently, and found that it's more convenient than using the store bags. Expected there would be some drawback, but it works fine.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Do you use your own bags at the grocery store?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse has heard that a lot of Bay Area stores charge for bags. Is this a Bay Area or a California phenomenon?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

They did that at one store here (far northern California) years ago (5 cents credit per bag if you brought your own).
Old 05-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't, but I know Aldi discount stores charge 5 cents or so per bag if you use their bags.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #5

I started using canvas bags recently and really prefer them to plastic. Or if I'm buying only 1 item, I refuse a bag and just carry it out.

I also buy in bulk if possible to reduce the amount of packaging that I need to toss. We have a good recycling program and I toss very little garbage away. I compost everything I can, also.

Wild Oats used to have a program where you saved $.05 if reusing one of their paper bags, but they closed the store near me. We're getting a Whole Foods in my town, hope it's similar to Wild Oats or Trader Joes.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Spouse has heard that a lot of Bay Area stores charge for bags. Is this a Bay Area or a California phenomenon?
San Fran banned it in March, a few years earlier they had imposed a tax if you used the plastic bags.

i have an army of canvas totes but they too often get filled w/ stuff and not emptied

but i am getting better at remembering to empty and throw them in the trunk - then i forget to bring them in the store. :P

it is a work in progress - but i feel great when i do remember and they can hold a lot more than the plastic or paper stuff.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I need them to pick up after the dog.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
I started using canvas bags recently and really prefer them to plastic. Or if I'm buying only 1 item, I refuse a bag and just carry it out.

I also buy in bulk if possible to reduce the amount of packaging that I need to toss. We have a good recycling program and I toss very little garbage away. I compost everything I can, also.
Same here. Kroger and Meijer credit 5 cents for each one. I also will use my own produce bags, depending on the produce.

[edited for typo]
Old 05-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a cloth bag and a couple of nice plastic bags (give-aways from an auto shows) that I take to Aldi. If we're going to WalMart, or one of the local groceries, DH will take the overflow of plastic bags to be recycled...
Old 05-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #10

I have some nice reusable bags from Trader Joes. I think they were 99 cents each, my biggest problem is remembering to take them with me.

They are so much better than the plastic store bags. Fit much more in, and everything seems to pack so much better.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

We shop at Raley's in Sacramento. We get the usual brown bags and use them as our recycling bags.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #12

I don't take them in even though at least one local store offers .05 credit.

OTOH I have not bought any size trash bag in over 20 years. We use the plastic bags from the store as our trash bags.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #13

We always keep a few bags in the cars for when we head out to Aldi's. We use them for various other things too.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #14

Yes, most of the time if I remember. I get 5 cents from the local co-op grocery and 5 cents from Wild Oats. The local store also credits 5 cents for each bulk container used (tupperware for rice, honey, oatmeal, nuts, etc.)
Old 05-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #15

Plastic! And I always have all sorts of uses for them. Put one in an old 1 gallon paint can, and have a perfect portable waste basket for paper towels when doing car/truck/tractor work. Fold the handles down over the side of the can, and the wind won't blow it out.
Put a small quantity of kitchen trash in one (like meat trimmings, bones), tie the handles into a knot, and put it out in the trash can, rather than smelling up the bigger kitchen wastebasket bag.
Put a couple of them in carry-on baggage, and then put your dirty clothes in them when on a short trip.

Some other uses, though I haven't tried these
Cut the bottom off, and you've got a tank top for a kid!
Collect them in your unit, and make an emergency escape rope. The warden will thank you for being prepared for emergencies, as cell-blocks often catch fire.
Hide one with you if you end up in a nursing home... follow the "directions" printed on it, just change one little bit, and you've got a self-euthanasia kit! If you feel that you are so very important, and the world may have trouble doing without you and blah blah blah, better double-bag
Old 05-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #16

Always take my own cloth bags. You have to buy the plastic bags if you want them from grocery stores (I'm quite sure that is standard across Europe). The plastic bags here cost around .08 - .13 cents each depending where you shop. Also, anything that comes in a plastic bottle (water, soda, juice, etc) there is an extra charge for as well, but those are refundable if you return them.

On occasion I'll remember something I need when I'm out and about and don't have my cloth bag, so I'll buy a plastic one. But then I too will use it as a trash bag as to not waste it.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:44 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have two Golden Retrievers and provide day care for a third. I live in the heart of town. I rely on plastic grocery bags and newspaper bags to maintain the environment. Please don't take my bags away.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We use them as bait for hunting tree-huggers.  Set up a tree stand and scatter a half dozen plastic grocery bags underneath.  Then have a few beers and pop the huggers as they scurry about picking them up.  Keep the bags because they're reusable.  If you're a decent shot, they last a long time. 

Interesting point, ignoring the offset the grocery bags create in making and disposing of dedicated garbage bags. 

Also interesting that the price of the bags is already paid, once, in the overhead componant of the price of the groceries.  Great idea... charging for them again. 

Also interesting that grocery bags are getting more PR now than used tires.  Hmmm... wonder which has a greater environmental impact?  Yeah, sure, the tires do.... but who wants canvas tires.  Besides, attacking plastic grocery bags makes me feel sooooooo...... green. 

Old 05-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss

Also interesting that grocery bags are getting more PR now than used tires. Hmmm... wonder which has a greater environmental impact? Yeah, sure, the tires do.... but who wants canvas tires. Besides, attacking plastic grocery bags makes me feell sooooooo...... green.

$3/tire recyling fee when back in LA - they did their best to separate me from my green. Can hardly wait for some kind of 'green tax' on grocery bags.

heh heh heh :P
Old 05-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss
Also interesting that the price of the bags is already paid, once, in the overhead componant of the price of the groceries. Great idea... charging for them again.
Also interesting that this isn't true, considering that plastic bags require a lot of oil to produce, which is part and parcel of the military budget, which is paid for out of income taxes, and makes us beholden to fanatics in the middle east.

But I bet you have a yellow sticker on your car!!