Dogs peeing on lawns

I think a snappy sign saying that the lawn was just doused with pesticides may do the trick. In my own yard once a week I shovel up piles of bear $h17 full of nuts and berries.

Definitely think this is the best and cheapest deterrence suggestion. My small subdivision has lots of dogs, and is one of the reasons I like it. Most owners do pick up poo (i have a convenient bag holder attached to the leash). However, with so many dogs, both "reading" (sniffing) and "replying" (short bursts of urine deposited) "pee mail" happens on virtually all lawns. My 80 lb dog who mostly runs about in my large yard as my knees make a walk difficult at times and so i only walk her a few times each week has never created brown spots anywhere in any yard, including my own where she mostly goes. However, as she is older especially, i will walk her faster past a yard with a pesticide sign, lest she get any residue on her paws (even worse could bring it inside for the cats to lick, as they are even more elderly). SO you could add such a sign, whether you actually treated the lawn or not. Now there will be some dog walkers oblivious to the potential danger to their pets , so you will probably still have pee deposited, just not as much.

I have a dog that I walk in the neighborhood, on a 6 foot leash. I keep an eye on her and I know when she is about to pee. I don't allow her to pee on neighbor's bushes (she's a leg lifter) or on finer lawns. There is a a lot of mowed road edge where she can pee and no one will notice or care.

My point is 1) if you watch your dog you know when they are about to pee and 2) you can control them verbally or just by pulling on the leash - they learn pretty quick.

female dogs squat when they urinate. It is concentrated in that spot. and then spreads from there. Even males that squat, their urine stream is not straight down onto on spot--simply because of the shape of the penis.

The chemical formula for urine-- NH2 2CO N=nitrogen. Did you ever notice how a rag that had been used to soak up urine, has an ammonia smell if you for some reason forgot to wash it/throw it out right away.

Grass doesn't care where the N comes from to either green up or brown up due to levels applied.

The grass is always greener in the 2-4" ring around a dead spot, and is possibly the best looking grass in your yard.

Our females are both neutered and we have dead spots. I rake out the dead grass, apply aged compost and see. Easy--peasy.

I had a landscaper call that 'female dog disease'

My point is 1) if you watch your dog you know when they are about to pee and 2) you can control them verbally or just by pulling on the leash - they learn pretty quick.
I agree with this.

OTOH, I see owners pulling their dog along while their dog is pooping, so the feces are strung along the sidewalk for several yards. And the owner doesn't bother to pick up the crap. Bad owner! bad owner!

.........I see owners pulling their dog along while their dog is pooping, so the feces are strung along the sidewalk for several yards.........
Now that is pure idiocy. :(

I have a dog that I walk in the neighborhood, on a 6 foot leash. I keep an eye on her and I know when she is about to pee. I don't allow her to pee on neighbor's bushes (she's a leg lifter) or on finer lawns. There is a a lot of mowed road edge where she can pee and no one will notice or care.

Nicely done! As you point out, it is very possible for owners to show a bit of respect for other’s property while still allowing puppy to piss all over less manicured landscaping.

Five pages of dogs peeing on lawns.

Amazing.

Five pages of dogs peeing on lawns.

Amazing.

It's a metaphor for life! :)

It's so much deeper than just dogs peeing on lawns, it encompasses the entirety of the human condition, and our place in nature.

And, bla, bla,bla bla (goes on for 3 more pages.... ;) ) .....

-ERD50

I don't know where you live but around here there are all kinds of animals peeing more than dogs in yards. Deer, and occasional foxes and possums. Mice, squirrels, and other animals all pee on grass. Rabbits. So dogs peeing on yards are the least amount of pee when you add all the pee up from all the other critters.

Yeah, we've had a big black bear marking his turf on our lawn every summer. Now that's a pile. I almost consider it an honor to be one of his favorite places.

Yeah, we've had a big black bear marking his turf on our lawn every summer. Now that's a pile. I almost consider it an honor to be one of his favorite places.

But to stay on topic: Did the grass die?

So you are saying that it is actually possible to prevent your dog from peeing on a neighbor's lawn! (That's my experience too as a former dog owner.)

I wonder why all dog owners don't understand that? Are you just more attentive? Is your dog better trained? Or is it that you bother to try more than most?

So you are saying that it is actually possible to prevent your dog from peeing on a neighbor's lawn! (That's my experience too as a former dog owner.)

I wonder why all dog owners don't understand that? Are you just more attentive? Is your dog better trained? Or is it that you bother to try more than most?
Yes

One other reason not to move to Texas: Armadillo's, feral hogs and skunks do a lot more damage to a lawn than dog pee.

One other reason not to move to Texas: Armadillo's, feral hogs and skunks do a lot more damage to a lawn than dog pee.

Exactly...I am at war with some Armadillos as we post. My back yard looks like Vietnam after a bombing run.

Last edited:
Exactly...I am at war with some Armadillos as we post. My back yard looks like Vietnam after a bombing run.
They are just eating the grubs that are eating the roots of your grass. So your grass was gonna die anyways without the roots. That is, the armadillos were doing you a favor.

Of course, you can spray triazicide which will kill the grubs and then no more June bugs and no more armadillos. And no more fireflies.

They are just eating the grubs that are eating the roots of your grass. So your grass was gonna die anyways without the roots. That is, the armadillos were doing you a favor.

Of course, you can spray triazicide which will kill the grubs and then no more June bugs and no more armadillos. And no more fireflies.

We live in a neighborhood that backs up to woods where the critters live. Everyone here fights the grubs and moles each year (and Armadillos, etc). I think my solution is to fill our small back yard with river rock and be done with it all.

Neighbor next door put in Astroturf. Other neighbors went with Mondo grass, some with river rock. We are mostly "older" here and the back yard is not used for recreation in most cases.

There is an elderly couple across the street from us who spend quite a bit of time tending to their flowers, bushes, and grass. We don’t get many dogs on our street but one day sure enough a dog came by and peed all over what they just worked on.

At the time it struck me as kind of annoying that people walk their dogs and let them pee all over everything. Never cared about it before but for some reason that day it bothered me, maybe because they work by hand on those bushes and flowers all the time.

So anyway I can see where the OP is coming from.
Thanks for that. I do spend quite a bit of time in my landscape and lawn. I guess you could say it is a hobby of sorts and I take great pride in it so...yes...I do get a bit irritated.

As a dog owner-I'm perfectly happy to pick up all the sh1t the dog drops. But I haven't figured out a way to control where he pees.

What should I do?

Pack a bucket and sponge?

https://goo.gl/images/QeyQxZ

As a dog owner-I'm perfectly happy to pick up all the sh1t the dog drops. But I haven't figured out a way to control where he pees.

What should I do?
Is your dog on a leash?

What should I do?

Pack a bucket and sponge?

https://goo.gl/images/QeyQxZ

Is your dog on a leash?

But if one walks a dog in a neighborhood(I don't) lawns are the only option. People might say....let them do it in their own yard before going on a walk. Dogs are going to pee on a long walk.

Back
Top Bottom