Dogs peeing on lawns

My male dog whizzes on only vertical objects so I have to be careful when other people are around us.

Our dog lifted his leg on a woman wearing a flowered maxi-dress at the dog park. I apologized many times over. He is a well behaved dog - just not the brightest bulb on the porch. I think from his eye level the dress looked like a flowered shrub.

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.
I knew there was a reason I have only female dogs.
Although, some of them do lift on occasion...............

Other than wearing a diaper, there is no chance of me "picking up" my dogs pee (they pee when they need too and seldom on command).

OP are you also upset with the birds, cats, mice, raccoons, opossums, foxes, coyotes, etc. that (if present) might pee on your lawn?.

Other than wearing a diaper, there is no chance of me "picking up" my dogs pee (they pee when they need too and seldom on command).

OP are you also upset with the birds, cats, mice, raccoons, opossums, foxes, coyotes, etc. that (if present) might pee on your lawn?.
Wild animals tend to spread it around. One dog after another will pee on the same landscape feature, especially near a sidewalk or road.

I think a snappy sign saying that the lawn was just doused with pesticides may do the trick. In my own yard once a week I shovel up piles of bear $h17 full of nuts and berries.

Dogs can't read

Attachments

• Mr. Peabody.png
    Mr. Peabody.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 10
Our dog lifted his leg on a woman wearing a flowered maxi-dress at the dog park. I apologized many times over. He is a well behaved dog - just not the brightest bulb on the porch. I think from his eye level the dress looked like a flowered shrub.

I'm sure the pissed-on lady (who is now also pissed-off?) felt so much better at your assurance that he is a well behaved dog, just stupid. Either way, she's got a dog-urine soaked leg/dress/shoe.

Though I suppose someone has to sort of expect these things in a dog park. But what if a flowered maxi-dress lady passes your dog on the street?

-ERD50

Our dog peed on MIL/FIL Christmas tree one year, and the residual soaked MIL present from FIL. Not a happy time, but made a good family story in the long run :)

I have had birds poop on me, and one pooped in my beer :)

Last edited:
I'm sure the pissed-on lady (who is now also pissed-off?) felt so much better at your assurance that he is a well behaved dog, just stupid. Either way, she's got a dog-urine soaked leg/dress/shoe.

Though I suppose someone has to sort of expect these things in a dog park. But what if a flowered maxi-dress lady passes your dog on the street?

-ERD50

On the street he is on a leash. At the dog park the dogs run free, which is the point of the park, and we were not close enough to pull him away. She was wearing a long, flowing dress at a dog park where 20 dogs at a time are marking their territory including all the benches and anything vertical. I think he knows now about long dresses just like he also learned Christmas trees were also not fair game. :) From his eye level and being not the sharpest tool in the shed they were both just honest mistakes on his part. Dog IQs are on a par with two year olds.

Last edited:
Hard to believe this thread has gone on this long; too much pee pee fascination.

There's a solution for everything. Some guy started a business in Raleigh to clean those cans. Helpful after your neighbor drops the bag in your cans and they split. Some people really want their cans clean! A can bidet of sorts...

Attachments

• can-cleaner.JPG
    can-cleaner.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 17
I guess I'll do the experiment and just pee in the same spot in my yard for the rest of the summer.

Well, I have to admit that I was wrong about dog urine killing grass. My dog's urine did not kill the grass and does not kill the grass in my yard, but the dog that I kept for a week had killer urine and the grass that it chose for its wet action did die.

I will hypothesize that its urine was a different pH than my dog's urine because the two dogs ate different kibble.

I write this because I studied the pH of urine of humans. The pH of your urine will change from acidic (lower than pH 7) to basic (higher than pH 7) based on what you eat. I have an aquarium, so I am checking pH of the aquarium water routinely. I have kidney stones, so I was checking the pH of my urine for awhile, too. That is, I can test the pH of urine.

Anyways, I can see now why there are so many various anecdotes about dog pee creating or not creating brown spots.

Next up: double blind study. :D

I knew it had to be something because neighbors have their dog water my yard all the time, but I only get spots occasionally. I also think the amount of heat or sun factors into it, i.e. how stressed the grass is.

I have been looking where our dog regularly pees, even around fire hydrants, and have not seen any brown patches that could be caused only by dogs. It has been very hot and dry here this summer so there aren't a lot of lush lawns anyway. Some lawn areas have brown spots but in those cases many other parts of the same yards away from the side walk have brown spots as well. Assorted critters and turkey flocks do most of the damage to lawns as they dig up the grass looking for bugs to eat. Plus there are voles and other tunnelers that do even more lawn damage than the bug hunters.

Last edited:
We're considering legal action... Neighbor two streets over lets his dog loose on their morning walk. Have replaced decorative plant next to the sidewalk twice... just this summer. Have set up video cam to prove our case. :mad:

Need an equation to adjust aquarium pH with your urine.
Henderson-Hasselbalch is all you need. In Real Life though all biochemists use a pH meter. With a meter, you won't need to know the pH of your urine which will change throughout the day depending on what you ate/drank last night, this morning, this afternoon, this evening, tonight.

Last edited:
Why not move it to by your front steps? It is probably illegal for the dog to be off leash.

Wow, long thread on dog wee. I'm surprised I didn't see it earlier.

If you're walking your dog and your dog wants to take a pee, there's not much you can do about it. You can't drag him/her off the lawn. They're not going to do it on the sidewalk, unless they can't hold it. And that's part of why people take dogs for walks -- so they can relieve themselves and get some fresh air. So there's really not much we dog owners can do about it. Them's the breaks.

Now poo, that's another story. I try to always carry bags with me to collect poo. I'm sure my dog wonders what the hell I'm doing. "Uh, I just shat that out, and now you're picking it up and taking it home with us. You're weird."

Now poo, that's another story. I try to always carry bags with me to collect poo. I'm sure my dog wonders what the hell I'm doing. "Uh, I just shat that out, and now you're picking it up and taking it home with us. You're weird."

He carefully picked his territory marking spot, and now you've gone and ruined it. I think that what our dog thinks.

Back
Top Bottom