Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
No regrets at all. I moved 5 years ago from a 4800 square foot house with an attached 3 car garage and a detached 3 car garage on 5 acres. Lots of maintenance and 20 miles from my office. I bought a new 2000 square foot house 2 miles from work. Lower utilities(dramatically lower) and lower taxes(although taxes not as low as I would like but that's what happens when you buy a new place with a current assessed value). I could live in half this space, but I was not ready to do this 5 years ago. I could do it quite easily now. Heck, if I move to Carmel someday I will likely be living in something like a packing crate but quite blissfully to be sure if I can walk the beach everyday with a little dog.

WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I am ready to downsize but the market is still at standstill pace . I would like a place just under 2000 sq,ft. with a community pool and a large patio . I want it on a tiny lot . I am done with outside chores . I currently live in 3600 sq.feet on two lots with a pool .

Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
We downsized when we bought our condo, though not by a lot. I don't regret the decision one bit. We had to get rid of quite a lot of furniture due to the layout of the new place, and it's been totally worth it.

Having said that, we've got a growing family and our current space is getting a little snug. Our hope is to upsize in the next couple of years to something bigger. We have discovered that layout and design are far more critical than size. Our little condo feels much bigger than many of the houses in our neighborhood that are half again as large, because of good design. I think I'd really regret moving from a well-designed little house to a poorly-designed bigger house.
"You'd be surprised at how much it costs to look this cheap." -- Dolly Parton
Urchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe
Downsizing is fantastic! Semi-Retired...went from 2200 sq. ft Townhouse in Museum District in Houston to 1400 sq ft. rent house. 18 mo. later we bought 750 sq ft house on 1.5 acres in the country-2 hrs from the city. OK, $1400 mo reduced to $320 mo (although we put ~ $25 K into upgrades and liveability.) Also putting in a garden, very low overhead (bills) for when we are away on extended trips domestic and abroad. The space outside ameliorates impact of the lack of space inside. Nature is a trip, again! Watching...participating in nature again (native passion flower vines hosting scores of butterflies, hummingbird feeders attacked voraciously and requiring refills almost daily) shortage in distraction from material attachments! I still have many, my music-cds especially. But, giving away the jewel cases and putting the disks in binders and recording on my MP3 player. Not as good as my Klipches, but much more portable. It is mucho better when you own things and they do not own you...!

The initial letting go is not easy, but it creates so much space in your life...
loosehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
Now we are anywhere from 1.5 to 3 years out from FIRE.. and as a result we have begun to downsize from our 2100 sf home to one in the 1200-1500 range.. and even though we are still a ways out we have already begun to rid ourselves of unnecessary clutter... you may want to try this to ease yourself into letting things go..

it has become a game of sorts on trash day as I see what else I can part with the might help fill the trash container
heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #46
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
it has become a game of sorts on trash day as I see what else I can part with the might help fill the trash container
I do that as well, these days. Also, when I get bored I turn to this project and rummage through my closets and drawers for more worthless stuff that I can toss out. I have probably cleaned out my closets half a dozen times in the past year.

A big short term advantage is that (presto, change-o!) suddenly I have lots of closet space! I used to think that I didn't have enough.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote