Engagement rings - Ladies especially reply please

FinanceDude said:
yes..........but, that being said.........if it's a male mantra............why don't women understand that we won't change and "help us" with out problem more?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You mean you're not getting any "help" at home? What a shame! ;) ;)

Everyone has a price, don't they? 8)

But I should mention I like expensive vacations, good food, good wine, and I buy more books than the local library.

Women who love shoes are probably cheaper more affordable.

There are many ways to go with this. I'm 29 and proposed a couple of years ago to my wife with a rather elaborate proposal and a ring that I surprised her with. She loved it (especially since at the time she believed I couldn't surprise her, hehe...)

Anyway, I was fortunate that my Mother offered my grandmother's diamond to me to use, so I picked out a nice engagement ring and set it into that.

Often, you can buy a very basic ring (just a circle) and a diamond, and then when it's time for the wedding you buy the ring that actually fits with the existing engagement ring. This is very common and more traditional and allows the bride to eventually pick out what she'll wear for her entire life, so you don't have to worry about picking out the "wrong ring."

Trek said:
I know I'm a bit younger than most here so this is something coming up for me. But I bet there is a wealth of knowledge on this board I can draw from.

I've been in the States over the holidays but going back to Estonia the first of Feb. My girlfriend (Estonian) and I have our one year anniversary Feb. 13th and I'd like to present her with a question and a ring.

I know her ring size, but I know a lot of couples now go shopping together for an engagement ring, something the girl will like. Am I too "old school" to buy the ring in advance and do the knee drop thing with it? I'd like to surprise her.

I know all about diamonds so far as quality goes, but what about shape? I tend to like the Princess cut as opposed to the traditional round cut. Opinions?

And no, I'm not doing this for residency, though some will question (FYI: Residence with a spouse still requires a 6 month income certification and 1 month waiting period for marriage after application for marriage is approved).

It's all for love!

Any other comments are welcome!

I want to thank everyone for their opinions! I appreciate it!

The culture in Estonia is not to flash your wealth. Much like other Scandinavian countries, being flashy with money is frowned upon. To them, it just makes you look like you have nothing else to be proud of other than your money.

I think I've made my choice.

Here is where I will propose. She knows we are going, but not the real reason why.

http://www.kalvi-hotel.com/index.php?keel=eng

pilt_full.php

BTW, she told me we shouldn't go because it's too expensive and I know it's too flashy, but I just can't help it for this one special occasion.

ooh that is too sweet!

forget all the grumpy farts around here - you have your chance to live out your dream - you have plenty of time (and help around here) to be a grumpy fart later :D :D

congrats!

i've heard a lot of other european countries aren't into bling as much as us americans - then go for something higher quality - not for the size :eek: Asian cultures can be similar, except they want both highest quality and biggest size! :p

It looks like a wonderful place for such a special occasion. I hope the sun is shining the way it is in the picture. And of course I hope she says yes.

When is the big day?

Sheryl said:
Everyone has a price, don't they? 8)

But I should mention I like expensive vacations, good food, good wine, and I buy more books than the local library.

Women who love shoes are probably cheaper more affordable.

Ditto. But I buy my own vacations, food, wine, books and shoes. :D

Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny said:
The history of diamond rings is pretty interesting, even if you've already decided to buy one."

Aascher/princess cut...who cares? Cute n' Fuzzy bunny gives a good potted history of the genesis of the diamond industry in a savvy marketing ploy by Debeers. And how about going to see the movie "Blood Diamond"? Lots of stuff problematic with that movie, but it does give another take on the diamond industry. If you really still insist on buying a diamond after seeing it, then try and make sure at least that it is a KPCS diamond.

This is the "Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS)" which Wikpedia defines as --a process designed to certify the origin of diamonds from sources which are free of conflict.[1] The process was established in 2002 to prevent rebel groups and their rivals from financing their war aims from diamond sales. The certification scheme aims at preventing these "conflict diamonds" (also known as "blood diamonds") from entering the mainstream rough diamond market. It was set up to try to assure consumers that by purchasing diamonds they were not financing war and human rights abuses.

same reason i always make sure my rugs carry the caremark label (certified free of child labor) even if they are a little more expensive.

Winnie

Oldbabe said:
Ditto. But I buy my own vacations, food, wine, books and shoes. :D

As do I. :D

I was just trying to warn Patrick to be careful about things that look like a good deal. :D

Me:I have no interest in babies and very little in shopping.
Him: Are you available?

Or are you getting competitive here, Old Babe? :LOL: :LOL:

Sheryl said:
You mean you're not getting any "help" at home? What a shame! ;) ;)

Things are just fine, here............ :LOL: However, most of us males "think" we're 21, when we are not................ ;)

Trek.. wishing you all the best!

I would just pick a nice 'appropriately-sized' stone in a solitaire setting. The princess-cut stones are a bit different.. I think you'd have to imagine it on her hand.. Maybe get a clue by looking at the kind of jewelry she now wears? The solitaire settings all seem to be pretty generic anyway. Then, if you get the answer we're all hoping for, when you go shopping for wedding bands you can leave open the idea of re-setting the engagement stone with something different that matches the wedding bands, if she chooses.

Auguri!

FinanceDude said:
Things are just fine, here............ :LOL: However, most of us males "think" we're 21, when we are not................ ;)

Ain't that the truth!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I got my fiance an estate ring off the internet- late 20s art deco. The ring came and was totaly awesome..... except that the diamonds sucked. Hard. Not wanting to return the ring, I emailed to company indicating my intent to return the ring unless they wanted to discount the price by $400. They did. I then got the diamonds replaced with some higher quality ones by a local jeweler... total cost? About $1300... a killer deal for a very unique ring that almost everyone (esp her) seems to like.

Pawn shops are another place to find jewelry.

Especially in Vegas, as long as you don't believe in bad voodoo/Karma of wearing a ring pawned to support a gambling junkie's habit. :eek:

Khan said:
Pawn shops are another place to find jewelry.

Could have bought a NICE Rolex for $750 15 years ago...........was a year old, and $3300 new............ :eek: :eek: :eek:

FinanceDude said:
Could have bought a NICE Rolex for $750 15 years ago...........was a year old, and $3300 new............ :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've never found pawn shops to be all that great for jewelry, high quality or otherwise. They know the value of what they're selling, and aren't in any particular hurry to sell it at a discount price.

I've seen cheapy guitars listed for retail price, but, if you are patient, you can get a Gibson SG or an American Strat for $400... 8)

Just an update:

She said YES!! :D

Thanks again for all the advice.

Trek

Congratulations! I bet her saying yes did not have anything to do with the ring either! You sound like a very caring person.

Yay! Congratulations! DW and I will have our ten year "dating" anniversary in June and our eight year wedding anniversary in October. It's still a tickle-fight slumber party every night. There is no greater bliss than marrying the right one. :)

Back
Top Bottom