Join Early Retirement Today

Ex-military takes on Dilbert
Old 09-07-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ex-military takes on Dilbert

Here is a little hint of what the workplace might have been like if Nords had not retired but instead entered the corporate world....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Ex-military takes on Dilbert
Old 09-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Eh, I just couldn't handle the transition. The civilian workplace is so different from all the shipmates & conveniences I was used to...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Submarine officer\'s club sea stories.jpg (20.5 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Nuclear Vegas-hook.JPG (35.5 KB, 132 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

8) :

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

After spending 21 years in army aviation and just now completing 11 years as a hospital nurse you would think I might have something interesting to say here. Sorry, nothing serious comes to mind but I do think that life is about change and the people who can most easily adapt to change are the ones who can be the most happy and successful. It seems like the adaptation to retirement from my current parttime employment should be easy in comparison to that earlier big career change. So how come I am having so much trouble picking the date?
jc
Old 09-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
So how come I am having so much trouble picking the date?
Is it the frame of reference?

Are you retiring from nursing, or are you retiring to have more time to pursue other activities?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nords,
...I actually like my job. The challenges keep it interesting and working with people, patients and co-workers who are so very different is also good for me. But, I sure would like to spend all my time during just the things I want when I want to do them. I also have the very strong feeling that I need to be mountain hiking and/or kayaking a whole lot more to stay healthy. I really do think I will retire sometime before my 55th birthday in november of next year.
jc
Old 09-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
Nords,
...I actually like my job. The challenges keep it interesting and working with people, patients and co-workers who are so very different is also good for me. But, I sure would like to spend all my time during just the things I want when I want to do them. I also have the very strong feeling that I need to be mountain hiking and/or kayaking a whole lot more to stay healthy. I really do think I will retire sometime before my 55th birthday in november of next year.
jc
You & Martha really should form a mutual support group!

FWIW everyone on this board who has worried about retirement, and then retired, has subsequently wondered what the heck they were worrying about.

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...sg3386#msg3386