From One Computer to Another

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just bought a new desktop Dell computer from Costco. It's sitting in the hallway as we speak. It will be replacing an 8+ year old Dell that has been running really slowly for a while. Anyhow, I don't know if the old computer has a virus or two. So, is there a way to make certain that no bad stuff gets transferred from the old computer to the new computer? I do have Norton Anti-Virus on the old computer and I think the new one comes with McAfee.

And, is there a particuarly easy way (like some sort of program/gadget) that can make the transfer something less than a traumatic experience?

Eight-plus years old? I wouldn't be that worried about transferring anything. I would simply copy all of your data files (including e-mail) on to some portable media (disk/flash) and then copy it to the new computer. In case you have been updating the 3rd party software regularly, I would simply install that program from scratch. The only other "transferable" items would be personal settings -- that would be a pain not to but still not worth the risk.

BTW, I would not suspect a virus so much as that the OS isn't up to the job of handling current software.

I've used PCmover by Laplink for two computer moves. Not zero cost, but easy to use. All my data and programs were transferred, including many that would have been a pain to look up installation key-codes for. Way better than having to reinstall all the programs, and works across different Windows flavors.

I posted on this same subject recently. I used an external hard drive to move the files to the new computer in two steps using the Windows Easy Transfer, which helped a lot. I struggled with the new email and office applications and a few other things that were time suckers.

If the new computer doesn't come with a restore disc or partition, you might want to make an image of your new hard drive's computer to an external hard drive. That way, in the future when your system is acting up and you want to restore everything like the way it was when you bought it, you can by restoring to the image.

If the new computer doesn't come with a restore disc or partition, you might want to make an image of your new hard drive's computer to an external hard drive. That way, in the future when your system is acting up and you want to restore everything like the way it was when you bought it, you can by restoring to the image.

I did that immediately upon first boot out of the box, before connecting so much as a printer, let alone Internet.

I've heard it so often from friends/family "I just want it the way it was when I got it".

"Did you make a restore disk or backup?"

"What's that?"

"Sorry, can't help you..."

I've heard the same too from friends/family, ""I just want it the way it was when I got it".

I've heard it so often from friends/family "I just want it the way it was when I got it".

Which is only people lying to themselves. What they really mean is: "I want it the way it was after I added all that neat stuff and before I added one too many gadget." They do not want to go through all that trouble of actually "restoring" it to "usefullness."

So, my sort of occasional secretary/girl Friday came over yesterday to set up the computer, attach the printer, dust off everything in sight, put the computer cartons in the garage and play catch with me. I printed out the suggestions posted by you folks and she actually used several of them. Anyhow, my old computer is now in the closet and my new computer is on the desk. So, thank you all for the helpful responses. I still l can't find certain things on the computer (like Word Documents) but I guess if I fool around with it enough, Word will eventually show up--I hope.

Best Wife (and anyone else who is still reading this): This is what I bought from Costco:
Dell Inspiron 580 Desktop; Core i5-650 3.20 GHz
Intel 8GB memory 1.0TB hard drive
The computer comes with a three year warranty because I used the Costo credit card (otherwise, it's a two year warranty).

I didn't buy a monitor or printer, because I already have a monitor and a printer.

The cost was $699.99 shipping and handling included. This doesn't include tax.

Well, it became even better, because I just found free cell and won my first played game on the computer. Felt a bit of pressure to win that initial game. I wonder if winning a first free cell game correlates with the stock market rising or dropping for the next three weeks.

Bestwifeever,

Since I don't download music or have many photos on the computer, I probably will only need about 3 of those GB's. So, if you won't to borrow some GB's, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom