Galaxy Nexus or Droid Razr Maxx?

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Does anyone use either of these phones or know anything about them?

I currently have an iPhone 4S but we just moved and our new house virtually has no AT&T service. Since we use our cell phones as our only phones that is a serious problem. On the other hand, we are advised that the subdivision gets great Verizon service.

So...we are probably going to eat the early cancellation fees and cancel AT&T and get Verizon.

I like my iPhone 4S but am intrigued by the Android phones and have narrow those down to the Galaxy Nexus (which uses Android 4.0) and the Droid Razr Maxx (which does not but will get in at some point).

Plusses for the Galaxy Nexus is that it will always have the up to date Android OS, has better screen resolution, larger screen, and has removable battery.

The Droid Razr Maxx while eventually get Android 4.0 but will probably always be a bit behind the Galaxy Nexus on OS, has a 8MP camera v. 5MP in the Galaxy Nexus, and has removable memory.

Anyone have any experience with these (or with very similar phones)?

Perhaps a Verizon iPhone would interest you? Just a thought... Don't know anything about the other two.

Perhaps a Verizon iPhone would interest you? Just a thought... Don't know anything about the other two.

I might get an iPhone but I would kind of like to try an Android phone. Since I do most email through gmail and calendaring through google calendar I thought it might work better for me.

Plusses for the Galaxy Nexus is that it will always have the up to date Android OS, has better screen resolution, larger screen, and has removable battery.
Very nice features, but "always" have the up-to-date Android OS? Maybe not. When you buy it, yes. Samsung has been very slow to release the latest version for my Galaxy II, yet I know it is out there.

Droid razr maxx has a 3300mAH battery and hence is reported to have like 20hour battery life (compared with about 10 for everything else). However, I wouldn't count on getting ICS on it. (If you get it great, but I wouldn't base my decision on future promised update)

My friend has the nexus -- seems pretty nice. But he is complaining that he can't get google wallet on it.

Android phones appeal to a lot of tech-oriented people.

If there are a lot of iPhone apps. you've been using, you might check to see if there are Android equivalents. There probably should be but doesn't hurt to make sure.

Bigger screen is nice but it means a larger phone. Some people might be used to using their phone with one hand, which may not be possible with a larger screen.

explanade said:

If there are a lot of iPhone apps. you've been using, you might check to see if there are Android equivalents. There probably should be but doesn't hurt to make sure.

Bigger screen is nice but it means a larger phone. Some people might be used to using their phone with one hand, which may not be possible with a larger screen.

+1

Some of the main reasons I went with the iPhone 4S vs. Android. I looked at the Nexus and it was almost too big.

I actually found out that a friend has a Galaxy Nexus and he reports that it is slow and buggy so that makes me lean more to the Razr Maxx.

I've enjoyed my iPhone and love my iPad but philosophically the...lack of flexibility/customization of Apple products has never really appealed to me. My husband has 2 Apple computers (desktop and notebook) and they are very, very nice.

Me? I went to Newegg and chose the exact parts I wanted and had a local computer shop build it for me. I wanted to control every little thing. Just a different philosophy. The iPhone in a way was an aberration for me. So, I felt comfortable with trying an Android phone...just trying to decide between the two which both have advantages and disadvantages...

That's strange to hear that Nexus is slow and buggy. It's suppose to be "pure" Android ICS. That is, other Android phones have layers on top which people complain slow down the phones. Also the carriers sometimes install little apps. of their own that can't be uninstalled unless you're willing to root the phones. The Nexus is suppose to have none of those things.

Also ICS is suppose to have better graphics acceleration support so that things scroll more smoothly. These latest phones should have a lot of power too.

Just to update.

I ended up buying the Galaxy Nexus. It was a difficult decision but I liked the better screen resolution, the fact it has ICS now and is the purer OS.

13 days later I took it back and ordered a Droid Razr Maxx which I am waiting for now.

The Galaxy Nexus did have a great screen. However, I had a succession of issues. The battery life was truly terrible. It never seemed to have a very good connection. I had trouble getting it to sync with the car. Finally got it sync on blue tooth but couldn't play music through the USB connection that my car has (it would not see the Galaxy Nexus when it was connected to the USB).

I had an annoying problem with being unable to send text messages with pictures. They would hang up and not send. Eventually I solved that by getting a third party add on but it wasn't a perfect solution.

The last straw was when Kindle wouldn't work. Well, it would work but would stop as soon as I did anything else -- read an email or text or even go and look at a Kindle book on archive. And when the software would stop I would have to reboot. The last day I probably rebooted 50 times.

I did reinstall the Kindle software and it did help but by then I was just fed up and was at the end of my 14 day return period.

So I returned and ordered the Droid Razr maxx (the return experience could be another long message but I will spare you the details). So we'll see.

I had the same delemma and ended up getting the Razr Maxx due to the issues the Nexus was having. Love it so far. Battery life is great and the phone has a big screen and is very fast.

Good luck with your new phone, Katsmeow! :)

God remember when phones just worked! Now it seems that only Apple can claim that!

My iPhone may work, but I still have to pay for a data plan. Remember when your cell phone cost only $25-$30 per month, or even much less if you shopped around? Mine was only $30 (maybe $35 with taxes and fees) until a year ago when I got an iPhone. Those were the days. Now I'm "addicted" and won't go back.

Last edited:
Well these smart phones are more computers than just phones. A lot of people are running up against using up their data caps. than their voice minutes these days.

In other countries, it's more common for people to pay full price for a smart phone, which would be $600 or more, and then not be tied into a contract for 2 or 3 years.

You can also optionally buy an iPhone unlocked and not under contract for $650, then get a prepaid voice plan only on T-Mobile and then use only Wifi for the web and apps. You pay only for the T-Mobile 2 Go minutes that you actually use. You have to watch that the minutes don't expire but if you buy 1000 minutes for $100 one-time, then those minutes are good for 1 year and then every year, you only need to buy $10 worth of minutes to extend whatever minutes you have left for another year.

It's one way to save money. My phone plan is paid for by my company but I use maybe 100 MB of data on 3G per month. Would be a lot more with 4G/LTE but most of the day, I'm in the office or at home.

Well these smart phones are more computers than just phones. [...] You can also optionally buy an iPhone unlocked and not under contract for $650, then get a prepaid voice plan only on T-Mobile and then use only Wifi for the web and apps.

That sounds like no fun at all! :LOL: I'm hooked, I'm hooked... :D

I got grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data plan, and I never get close to my voice limits. So, I pay about $75/month. I may be nostalgic when thinking of my old, lower bills, but no way would I give up my internet access when waiting in places with no wireless. Well, unless the market does another 2008-2009 loop-de-loop...

Yeah I guess it depends on where you spend your time during the day.

I am still in the office most of the day (though at some offices, people use 3G so that they can get to sites which their work may block) so 3G isn't a big need.

But if retired and was out and about a lot, 3G would be more useful. With AT&T, their data plan also includes access to their Wifi hotspots, which are at Starbucks and a bunch of other places.

With AT&T, their data plan also includes access to their Wifi hotspots, which are at Starbucks and a bunch of other places.

I can use a lot of wi-fi hotspots with Verizon too, but no way do I want to be stuck using only them. What happens if F. asks me about the weather forecast or a news story we were discussing or what if I want to read him a post I made on the forum, while we are driving around town? :eek: And there are so many more scenarios when a person needs 3G. I just have to have my 3G. You're not going to change my mind on that. :D

Last edited:
You're browsing the web while driving around?

No I'm not trying to change minds and in most cases, a smart phone requires signing up for a data plan. I was just pointing out this one option if one wanted to avoid the high monthly charges.

However, consumers will choose to sign up for these contracts over paying a higher lump-sum up front, even if doing so results in a lower payment over time. This is true not only with big purchases like real estate and cars but electronics too.

There's also a reason why rent-to-own furniture business are popular and why credit cards are a big business.

Most ER people try to minimize debt and are more willing to pay more upfront to save more over the longer term. But smart phones may be an exception.

BTW, I also heard that with T-Mobile, you can pay $2 a day to use data on their network without any commitment. However, iPhones don't support the frequencies used by their fastest networks, only some Android phones do.

explanade said:
Yeah I guess it depends on where you spend your time during the day.

I am still in the office most of the day (though at some offices, people use 3G so that they can get to sites which their work may block) so 3G isn't a big need.

But if retired and was out and about a lot, 3G would be more useful. With AT&T, their data plan also includes access to their Wifi hotspots, which are at Starbucks and a bunch of other places.

Which I'm using right now to reply to this. :)

having a bagel on the patio next to the hotspot and enjoying the nice spring weather

I had the same delemma and ended up getting the Razr Maxx due to the issues the Nexus was having. Love it so far. Battery life is great and the phone has a big screen and is very fast.

That is very good to hear. I am really looking forward to my Razr Maxx arriving...

Back
Top Bottom