Getting rid of home phone; MagicJack; Skype

For example, I have a VOIP phone provider, and the box plugs into the phone wiring in my home, so I use the same old phones I used on the POTS. But I get my internet over fixed wireless - so am I considered "land line", there is no connection to wires outside the house. I don't call it a "land line", I call it VOIP.

I have VOIP with vonage, but I still consider it a land line mainly because it is non-portable (generally speaking) and comes over a wire to my house. Isn't most POTS voice transmitted with VOIP or similar protocols at some point in the transmission system?

It seems that everyone has rolled out a voip product now to compete w/ the phone company. Even telephone companies have voip to compete with themselves. Add to that the cable company and third party providers (like vonage/magicjack).

Isn't most POTS voice transmitted with VOIP or similar protocols at some point in the transmission system?

Probably, but the wires into your house conform with the ancient POTS, or standard old phones wouldn't work.

My VOIP comes in wirelessly, goes to a (modern) POTS phone that is a "cordless" base for 4 extensions. At the phone level, I could have just one short wire from the TA box to my base (but I plug it into a jack to "light up" all the extensions - with the line to the phone company disconnected).

-ERD50

. . . Isn't most POTS voice transmitted with VOIP or similar protocols at some point in the transmission system?
. . .

Between the phones on the call it could be a lot of different things. But what is delivered at the network interface device or NID (the box hanging on the outside of your house - sometimes called a demarcation point) and how the service behaves is what makes it POTS.

I do Vonage and buy 1 year at a time, it saves money over the monthly charges. It's close to $20 a month.

I cancelled my landline a few years ago since even basic service was still close to $25.

911 works thru vonage. My DD was playing with the phone and dialed 911. Operator answered and I appologized for what happened. She asked to verify the 911 data, and it was all correct. I filled in the 911 data when I set up my vonage account.

Back
Top Bottom