Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

While rare, it is possible for some anti-malware programs to display false positives. In other words, it is possible that you may not have had a keylogger installed. Of course, I can't say that with certainty since I don't know your specifics. I usually double-check the file/program in question to make sure before removing it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 12:52 AM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

I use low-tech way of dealing with risk of keylogger. I never type in a user ID or password directly when logging in. Instead, I copy and paste each letter one by one from some other text or document when I enter this information. It can be a little time-consuming when searching for and finding the right letter from some other text or document, but since I'm not entering the information directly using my keyboard, a keylogger would never be able to track them. For me the minor hassle is worth it.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopersBeach View Post
I use low-tech way of dealing with risk of keylogger. I never type in a user ID or password directly when logging in. Instead, I copy and paste each letter one by one from some other text or document when I enter this information. It can be a little time-consuming when searching for and finding the right letter from some other text or document, but since I'm not entering the information directly using my keyboard, a keylogger would never be able to track them. For me the minor hassle is worth it.
Interesting. I assume this works, but does anyone know for sure?

I often copy/paste them now (cause I can't remember some of them anyhow) - it just made me think about a similar plan that might be easier. I've got a little program right on my menu bar that is a sort of keyboard macro thing (Autokey for Linux, but I'm sure there are equivalents). I could have my PWs entered in there (under an odd description that I would remember), and when I select that with my mouse, it gets entered into the text box that my cursor is set at. That might just emulate keystrokes though, I don't know.

Although, the fact that I'm on Linux probably means no one is targeting these systems anyhow, or at least the odds are far, far lower.

-ERD50
Old 11-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.............Instead, I copy and paste each letter one by one from some other text or document when I enter this information..............
Interesting. This is how I write letters, only with scissors and paste.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wonder if the on-screen keyboard would be safe from keyloggers. I am using it to type this. Takes a long time; whew.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Almost everything on my Linux system is not only free, but also has public source code. Restricting my answer to free and open source software, one reason is the authors' pride and desire for reputation among their peers. Anyone can read the source code and judge the writer's skill, sophistication, and professionalism. They're not doing it to make a buck -- it's a different game for them altogether.

I have been using Linux and UNIX for years and never had any viruses. I only use my Linux machine to log into my accounts. I guess the evil people who write viruses don't bother with Linux or it has better security than Windows.?

My Dad has had several viruses and I had to reinstall the Windows OS. It was in some of the system files, kept coming back. I have 3 windows machines here at home and never had any problems over the years but I don't download anything unknown and have firewalls and AVG on them.

Recently, a friend got one on his windows PC and it was in a PDF file! Somehow it got executed from the PDF and reinstalled. It took 2 OS reinstalls before he figured out what was happening.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #47

Tell me if this is stupid or not. I keep my passwords on a flashdrive and than just copy and paste.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does that work with the auto fill or remembered user ID and password in Firefox?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I've seen that Antivirusnow fake run before. It pretends that it flagged a virus and starts disabling stuff and you see the hard drive light flickering.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This will block a simple keylogger, but the Bad Guys know about alternate ways to enter a password, including on-screen keyboards and whatnot. Most of the more sophisticated loggers will also generate a recording of screen activity around areas in question (which is why secure text entry schemes also print dots or * for each character entered, rather than the actual text.)
Old 11-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Well, I must be doing something right. I've been using Panda Cloud as my antivirus software. Each night I scan my computer for viruses. Then I also run Malwarebytes afterwards. So far, not once has Malwarebytes caught cookies or spyware that Panda didn't already catch.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Well, I must be doing something right. I've been using Panda Cloud as my antivirus software. Each night I scan my computer for viruses. Then I also run Malwarebytes afterwards. So far, not once has Malwarebytes caught cookies or spyware that Panda didn't already catch.
Well, all you've demonstrated there is that they're as good or as bad as each other. In fact, since there's a fair chance that they derive much of their information from the same place, that could be automatically true.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never found an antivirus/malware program that I fully trusted. They catch some, but not ALL of the bad stuff lurking around out there on the internet. The only solution I feel comfortable with is having a small laptop dedicated to financial transactions. I only use it to visit my brokerage account, credit card company, credit union and bank. NOTHING ELSE. I use another laptop for everything else. If I get a virus on the other computer (which has happened), I don't worry about it too much. I clean it up and move on. Using the same computer for general internet use and financial transactions is just asking for trouble IMHO. You can get a cheap netbook, or reconditioned laptop for less than $200 to use as a dedicated computer for financial transactions. I believe that beats trying to keep a general purpose computer squeaky clean.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
I've never found an antivirus/malware program that I fully trusted. They catch some, but not ALL of the bad stuff lurking around out there on the internet. The only solution I feel comfortable with is having a small laptop dedicated to financial transactions. I only use it to visit my brokerage account, credit card company, credit union and bank. NOTHING ELSE. I use another laptop for everything else. If I get a virus on the other computer (which has happened), I don't worry about it too much. I clean it up and move on. Using the same computer for general internet use and financial transactions is just asking for trouble IMHO. You can get a cheap netbook, or reconditioned laptop for less than $200 to use as a dedicated computer for financial transactions. I believe that beats trying to keep a general purpose computer squeaky clean.
Hmmm.......might not be a bad idea.