Grammar and logic

Halloween is approaching and we're being haunted by the ghost of Emeritus...

ghost of Emeritus or maybe just incorrect:confused:

OP stated: If you are counting on seniors to help jump-start the economy [because of COLA]... forget about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong... OP shoots the notion down, but anyone that happens to believe the "if" *is* stating an implied premise -- "increased spending will improve the economy", and in support of that conclusion "a COLA increase is an increase in spending (or sufficient increase in spending)".

And yes, this is obviously more of an OT English Lesson , but inquiring minds...

ghost of Emeritus or maybe just incorrect:confused:

OP stated: If you are counting on seniors to help jump-start the economy [because of COLA]... forget about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong... OP shots the notion down, but anyone that happens to believe the "if" *is* stating an implied premise -- "increased spending will improve the economy", and in support of that conclusion "a COLA increase is an increase in spending".

I'm pretty sure GregLee is correct about the grammar. It's just that it gets pretty tedious when posters continually correct grammar and spelling of other members.

btw - "OP shots the notion down" ??
did you mean "OP shot the notion down" or "OP shoots the notion down"

Correct me if I'm wrong... OP shoots the notion down, but anyone that happens to believe the "if" *is* stating an implied premise -- "increased spending will improve the economy", and in support of that conclusion "a COLA increase is an increase in spending (or sufficient increase in spending)".
That reasoning is a little tricky, isn't it?. What follows "if" is not "increased spending will improve the economy", but actually "you are counting on seniors to help jump-start the economy because ...".. And if the sentence after "if" is the premise of an argument, what's the conclusion?. "Forget about it!"?

Well, folks, grammar is what I did for 40 years, so it interests me. Besides, the relationship between the premise of an argument and the antecedent of an if-construction has more to do with logic than with grammar. Anyone interested at all in logic?

Well, it certainly shows there isn't much interest, since I just pointed out that it isn't a matter of grammar. Clearly, no one is listening.

Well, it certainly shows there isn't much interest, since I just pointed out that it isn't a matter of grammar. Clearly, no one is listening.

I am...

Logic....

PS... I kind of like the grammar issues also... it might be to late to fix me, but at least I might stop passing along bad info if I read it... like the one or two spaces after a sentence...

Is it philosophy (logic) or linguistics

Logic (not philosophy). A premise can be converted into an "if" antecedent by the logical rule of implication introduction, or an antecedent into a premise, by the logical rule of modus ponens. So there's a relationship. But they're not the same, because statements (where antecedents are) are not logically like arguments (where premises are). You can attack an argument by showing that its premise is false, but you can't appropriately attack an implication statement by showing that its antecedent is false. This is why I disagreed with the contention that the article under discussion had a false premise.

[I replied to this in the other thread before the move. Here is what I wrote there:]

Logic (not philosophy). A premise can be converted into an "if" antecedent by the logical rule of implication introduction, or an antecedent into a premise, by the logical rule of modus ponens. So there's a relationship. But they're not the same, because statements (where antecedents are) are not logically like arguments (where premises are). You can attack an argument by showing that its premise is false, but you can't appropriately attack an implication statement by showing that its antecedent is false. This is why I disagreed with the contention that the article under discussion had a false premise.

it might be to late to fix me,

Why yes, yes it is!

But you're loved and appreciated just the way you are..........

Edit: BTW, it's too late, not to late.

Last edited:
That thread was struck by fizzy logic.

GregLee, perhaps you should update your avatar to more accurately reflect your calling.

Attachments

• Grammar Police.jpg
    Grammar Police.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 148
Wrong tense. You're still doing it.
No, I'm not. I've gone to some pains to show that the issue I raised was not one of grammar. Having studied grammar for so long, I probably have got a pretty good idea of what it is not.

No, I'm not. I've gone to some pains to show that the issue I raised was not one of grammar. Having studied grammar for so long, I probably have[-] got [/-]a pretty good idea of what it is not.

There Gregster, fixed it fer ya! Ya don't need ta "got" a pretty good idea, just have it.

Huh? Makes me glad I missed the original screening.

GregLee, perhaps you should update your avatar to more accurately reflect your calling.
The sort of grammar I have done is about understanding why people talk the way they do. It has nothing whatever to do with finding those who break rules or somehow improving their behavior. So I don't think your suggested avatar would be good for me. Like many of you, I have my own class prejudices about proper speech, but if I express those prejudices, occasionally, it is unrelated to my background in grammar.

No, I'm not. I've gone to some pains to show that the issue I raised was not one of grammar. Having studied grammar for so long, I probably have got a pretty good idea of what it is not.
My comment was more general, not only this thread. Sorry if that caused any confusion.

changed to: I probably have [-]got[/-] a pretty good idea

There Gregster, fixed it fer ya! Ya don't need ta "got" a pretty good idea, just have it.

OK, I'm curious about this, so learn me sumpin'.

I often find the "got" and "gotten" to be awkward and superfluous, and will edit it out (though I'd probably 'speak' it). I'd guess both GregLee's and youbet's versions are correct, but I think it reads better w/o the "got".

Any good guides for this?

-ERD50

changed to: I probably have [-]got[/-] a pretty good idea

OK, I'm curious about this, so learn me sumpin'.

I often find the "got" and "gotten" to be awkward and superfluous, and will edit it out (though I'd probably 'speak' it). I'd guess both GregLee's and youbet's versions are correct, but I think it reads better w/o the "got".

-ERD50
Pray tell, if not Greg Lee, who?

Last edited:
Eh, I never got far enough in the study of pure logic to learn about modus ponens, some familiarity with ignoratio elenchi and a few others. I think they referred to errors in argument.

IIRC I bailed out at categorical syllogisms. Something about two premisses, a major followed by a minor then the conclusion. Made my head hurt diagramming it. ? EIO.

I think I'll stick with techie stuff with bad English grammar.

Now time for my large bag of popcorn and case of beer. Oh and lawnchair.

I hear both, and so, as an issue of descriptive grammar, there is nothing further to be said about contemporary English. Both occur. I googled ""have got" versus have" and an article from "grammar girl" came up, http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/have-got-grammar.aspx, which seems to me to be a reasonable discussion. "Have" alone strikes me as being probably more usual in formal speech, probably because it is the older construction.

Back
Top Bottom