Greatest love songs ever

Wow - really liked "Dance Me to the End of Love"!

Greatest Love? Here's a twist - turn your speakers off and watch this through...[/URL]
The reaction of the husband was priceless.

I am glad someone here also likes "Dance Me to the End of Love". I have enjoyed listening to it for a few years as a jazzy rendition by Madeleine Peyroux, and only discovered the original version recently. I have to say I like the original better, along with the instrumental accompaniment.

I should have posted this video of Leonard Cohen singing this in a live performance. But it's not too late. One can watch it again. In an interview, Cohen said the inspiration for this 1984 song was the Holocaust.

Maybe not a 'love' song, but I [-]love[/-] like it a lot:

I certainly have to agree that The Carpenters belong on this list. Karen's voice was amazing, and I would vote for

We've Only Just Begun
Close to You
For All We Know

Another favorite of mine is I Could Not Ask For More by Sara Evans.

I Just Fall In Love Again, the Carpenters

http://youtu.be/qVo3llfvJcs ....

I certainly have to agree that The Carpenters belong on this list. Karen's voice was amazing....

+1 One of my favorite love songs. Not only is her voice angelic, the background music is interesting too. It was a tragedy that she died so young and under such tragic circumstances. What a great talent.

I'm still enjoying the unique artists and tunes from Coffeehouse. :)

I Just Fall In Love Again, the Carpenters

http://youtu.be/qVo3llfvJcs

Nobody Loves Me Like You Do, Anne Murray and Dave Loggins

http://youtu.be/wbxOeaec460

Interesting. I've never heard The Carpenters version of "I Just Fall In Love Again" til this post. I'm more familiar with Anne Murray's version.

My favorite Carpenters loves songs are probably, "We've Only Just Begun" (written by Barry Manilow :)) and "Top of the World".

I only knew this because I recently watched a documentary on The Carpenters where Paul Williams was talking about this song he'd written.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks for the correction. Like to give credit where it is deserved.

I bet that song is one that folks assumed Manilow wrote thinking that's the type of song he would write.

Paul Williams

OT

Brought back memories of Carson having George Peppard and Paul Williams on together - Peppard appeared drunk, and kept taunting Williams about his (lack of) height.

Having taken quite enough, Williams finally said words to the effect "I'm not short, I'm a human dynamo, and if you say that once more I'll drop you". (And he wasn't kidding.)

Peppard (wisely) kept his mouth shut from then on in.

/OT

Have you ever gone back to the OP of a thread to see who started it?

I thought it was Purron, but it was Martha. She has not been seen for a long time. Perhaps has run off with the RV group WIN (Wandering Individual Network). :)

Purron has not been seen for a long time. As I recall, they were moving from their big house to their smaller home, in preparation for selling the former. Then, she disappeared too. I missed her cat photo postings. Purron was active in a cat shelter organization, and I am a cat lover.

Every time I hear the Carpenter's version I just fall in love again with Karen Carpenter's melodic voice.... what a tragedy.

The Carpenter's originally recorded it, and then Dusty Springfield and then Anne Murray.

Speaking of Barry Manilow, DW and I went to one of his farewell tour concerts earlier this year.... he was a little rough the first couple songs but then settled in and was amazing for about 90 minutes. I wish I had his energy level.

So this thread tells me it is very old, and do I really want to post? My decision was yes because love songs last forever :)
I'm obsessed lately with this 2013 video. I'm (typically) late to the party because I don't keep up with things like the "Got Talent"/"Greatest Voice"/Simon Cowell productions. This is the 9 year old Dutch girl, Amira Willighagen's, performance. Isn't it just incredible?

Every time I hear the Carpenter's version I just fall in love again with Karen Carpenter's melodic voice.... what a tragedy.

The Carpenter's originally recorded it, and then Dusty Springfield and then Anne Murray.

Speaking of Barry Manilow, DW and I went to one of his farewell tour concerts earlier this year.... he was a little rough the first couple songs but then settled in and was amazing for about 90 minutes. I wish I had his energy level.
My DGF and I always feel she had the voice of an angel.

Yes, I am a weirdo, but my vote would be the Smith's "There is a light that never goes out". A kind of love song with a very morbid sense of humor. I had a courthouse wedding, but this is the song I would have played if I didn't.

".....And if a double decker bus, crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die..." Perfection.

+1

I absolutely LOVE this song and have been a big fan of The Smiths since my college days. Another great song along these same lines is "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want." Beautiful.

+1

I absolutely LOVE this song and have been a big fan of The Smiths since my college days. Another great song along these same lines is "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want." Beautiful.
Oh man...dated a girl in HS and she was quite the Smith's fan. The first time I heard the lyrics, "And if a ten ton truck crashes into to us...to die by your side would be a heavenly way to die"...oye. Needless to say, I am happy that my DW is a Pretenders and Etta James fan. :)

Ah, love! Too many people are after sex, and they know nothing about love.

Viens m'embrasser / Come, embrace me

Avant de t'en aller ce soir, viens m'embrasser / Before you go this evening, come and embrace me
On ne va plus se voir mais on n'est pas fâchés... / We won't see each other again, but we're not angry with each other...

Dis toi qu'entre nous deux ça ne va rien changer / Tell me that between the two of us nothing will change.
Ta décision est prise et tu vas me quitter / Your decision is clear, you're going to leave me

Toi qui t'en vas / You, who are going
Oublie que je suis triste, oublie et souris-moi / Forget that I'm sad, forget and smile at me
Fais-moi revivre encore un peu de ce temps-là / Let me relive a little of that time
Où tu venais te jeter dans mes bras / When you would throw yourself in my arms
...​

My wife plays this song a lot. We saw her live 7 years ago.

Sade - Cherish The Day (Official Video) - YouTube

I know of this song, but prefer the rendition by The Hollies.

I posted the worldclass song "Besame Mucho" in another thread,

Bocelli has caused a revival of this 1940 song, but I first heard Connie Francis singing this in the 60s, when I was growing up.

YouTube - BESAME MUCHO

Searching youtube, I found that Elvis Presley also covered this song in English. Even the Beatles covered this song! However, they better stuck to their own songs, I think.

YouTube - Elvis Presley - Besame mucho

I'm pretty sure that's not Elvis. Maybe Doug Church, an impersonator that does albums of songs Elvis never did.

Back
Top Bottom