Greatest love songs ever

Unchained Melody

Gumby, that is IT. That is by far the best love song of all time, IMO. The intensity with which it is sung by the Righteous Brothers makes this the quintessential love song, especially for young love. Romeo and Juliet, move over because the Righteous Brothers have it all figured out!

Now, a less intense love song but one that to me is not so much about new, young love but more about day to day happy love is sung here by the young Mary Wells: YouTube - Mary Wells - My Guy

I also submit this song. Is it the best love song? Not by a long shot, but it is more than adequate and it brings back memories from almost exactly 33 years ago, when a 17 year old Gumby and a long-legged lass with blue eyes, raven hair and a willing disposition first found bliss in the back of a Ford van parked down by the river. This was playing on the radio.

YouTube - Jefferson Starship - Miracles

From all the posts with references to sex, I would have thought people here have confused sex with love. :flowers:

Or am I still hopelessly optimistic?:hide:

From all the posts with references to sex, I would have thought people here have confused sex with love. :flowers:
Not since I was 17. I learned more than one thing during that Spring.

Ah, love is in the air. It must be spring.

bbbamI said:
There are all kinds of love.

I always liked this song, and would sing it to my daughters when they were young . . .

There was a period of time when I was infatuated with the song "Summertime" recorded by Ella Fitzerald and Louis Armstrong. I would play the CD everyday. As it was about the time my first born was about 2, I would sing it to her as a lullaby while holding her against my chest, and waltzing in her bedroom. She would not let me put her down in bed until I "performed" an encore, with her head against my other shoulder this time. Now, I sing out-of-tune more often than not, but my child would not know it.

"Oh, Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry ..."​

Ah, love is in the air. It must be spring.

There was a period of time when I was infatuated with the song "Summertime" recorded by Ella Fitzerald and Louis Armstrong. I would play the CD everyday. As it was about the time my first born was about 2, I would sing it to her as a lullaby while holding her against my chest, and waltzing in her bedroom. She would not let me put her down in bed, until I "performed" an encore, with her head against my other shoulder this time. Now, I sing out-of-tune more often than not, but my child would not know it.

"Oh, Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry ..."

How weird is this? I used to sing this song to my kids right before we tucked them in at bedtime. They still remember it well (and, apparently fondly).

However, I sang it like this: "Your daddy's rich and your momma's good lookin' two of the greatest lies of all-time. So hush, little baby, Don't you cry."

They still ask me to sing it--usually after I've had a Brandy Alexander--and they've had a scotch or two.

Ah, but the question is: greatest love song ever...

"He Stopped Loving Her Today" sung by George Jones

How weird is this? I used to sing this song to my kids right before we tucked them in at bedtime. They still remember it well (and, apparently fondly).

However, I sang it like this: "Your daddy's rich and your momma's good lookin' two of the greatest lies of all-time. So hush, little baby, Don't you cry."

They still ask me to sing it--usually after I've had a Brandy Alexander--and they've had a scotch or two.

I am surprised that they didn't bawl as the babies they were. Must not have understood it then.:confused:

Ah, they were about 4 and 6 or so. So, they didn't cry...they just sort of had puzzled looks. So did my wife.

"Can't Take My Eyes Off If You" by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons.

Back
Top Bottom