Gunmen, forces clash...

Audrey, I've failed miserably at warning folks so I'm adopting a new "safety in numbers" strategy. The more who move here, the better the odds are one of the critters, diseases or random gunmen will get them, not me.

Roll out the welcome mat...

Gunmen, forces clash after cartel leader killed - CNN

A new one to add to the list of Texas hazards.:(

Audrey
Getting kind of dangerous down there. What can you do except keep a low profile and your head down?

Audrey, I've failed miserably at warning folks so I'm adopting a new "safety in numbers" strategy. The more who move here, the better the odds are one of the critters, diseases or random gunmen will get them, not me.

Roll out the welcome mat...
I thought there already was a steady stream of immigration to Texas. Oh, you mean from the north.... In that case, I think we should relocate Congress to the Texas – Mexico border area. It would help them focus and improve efficiency.

Getting kind of dangerous down there. What can you do except keep a low profile and your head down?

I thought there already was a steady stream of immigration to Texas. Oh, you mean from the north.... In that case, I think we should relocate Congress to the Texas – Mexico border area. It would help them focus and improve efficiency.

Yeah...thanks a lot! :nonono:

That's so sad. I remember when my snow bird aunt and uncle took my family to Matamoros while visiting them one winter, probably 20 years ago. We spent the day there, visiting the little shops, eating a nice lunch, just looking around. We visited a bakery and had Mexican sweets and I bought a nice nativity set. At one point, that day, we crossed the border on a little ferry then turned around and rode it back. I believe it was the last international ferry, at that time. It was a very primitive ferry, but it was fun. At that time, everything seemed to be nice and calm and friendly. My aunt and uncle visited that town quite often for shopping and just spending the day. Things have really changed.:(

It really is getting bad. Here is a more in-depth report of the events Friday and Saturday:
Border city recalls carnage
Wasn't trying make light of this earlier. I spent lots of time in Colombia and Peru in the 80's and know how bad it can get. Having to deal with the spillover consequences but unable to cross over the border to confront it more directly makes is especially challenging for Texas.

Any chance the Texas National Guard will get involved?

Wasn't trying make light of this earlier. I spent lots of time in Colombia and Peru in the 80's and know how bad it can get. Having to deal with the spillover consequences but unable to cross over the border to confront it more directly makes is especially challenging for Texas.

Any chance the Texas National Guard will get involved?
I didn't think you were making light of it earlier.

Well, I thought some National Guard troops had been deployed this summer - but that was along the entire national border and I don't think that high a % were allocated to TX. But I haven't been watching the news that much so I'm not sure where this is. We have a lot of visible border patrol around here, and that is about the same as it has been the past year or so.

The physical border - a deep river and heavily manned bridges - do contain things quite a bit. But still - there are some really dangerous organized criminals with plenty of money and military style weapons out of control just south of the river. It's amazing that it has gotten so bad that the big factory businesses in Reynosa and Monterrey are seriously threatened - and those are a huge base of the northern Mexico economy.

Anyway - pretty much no tourism from US into MX at this time, although the eager shoppers crossing from MX to US still seem to be going strong.

Audrey

Back when we lived in the Austin area ('81-'96) we used to drive down to Nuevo Laredo & cross over every now & then. Over the years I've made a number of trips to Juarez, Nogales & Tijuana too, never any problems or felt like I was in danger. I'm not likely to be doing that anymore though. Too bad.

Back when we lived in the Austin area ('81-'96) we used to drive down to Nuevo Laredo & cross over every now & then. Over the years I've made a number of trips to Juarez, Nogales & Tijuana too, never any problems or felt like I was in danger. I'm not likely to be doing that anymore though. Too bad.
Nope! Not even Progresso is safe anymore (recent). Nuevo Laredo hasn't been safe for quite a while now, and Juarez has been horrible for a long time.

Audrey

Audreyh1, besides the current border crime troubles, how would you rate your general area in terms of a retirement location? What is it that you like? I can see you're in a great place to be able to easily spend time at the gulf...what else is going on down your way? I'm just 2 yrs from retirement, and am open. We're considering staying in the east TX, or NW Louisiana area, but willing to consider other places.

Last edited:
Scary, Audrey. Sounds like something out of "No Country For Old Men"...in which I presumed the carnage was overblown for the pleasure of the viewing audience. Shows what I know.

Back
Top Bottom