Happy Women's Equality Day!

Krav Maga was developed by the Israeli army as an unarmed self defense technique that I think is properly called a mixed martial art. Less emphasis on form and more on getting the opponent down and out.

Thoughts?

Good for the take no prisoners attitude. If not yet you will get in good shape, and will become intimately familiar with opponent'(s) body parts. Defense against multiple attackers will get your adrenalin flowing.

Rule 1, never let them get you on the floor/ground. It is the art of "whatever it takes".
Enjoy.

That is a great description, Is99--DH purchased a cup after his first class, and volunteered to be a "perp" for the ladies class a few weeks ago. He got in the door and they asked him if he had it with him--made him go out to the car to get it!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Hey ladies...anyone ever taken a self defense class? I'm signing up for 6 weeks of Krav Maga starting in a couple of weeks. DH has been taking it for a month or so now, and I'm intrigued.

Krav Maga was developed by the Israeli army as an unarmed self defense technique that I think is properly called a mixed martial art. Less emphasis on form and more on getting the opponent down and out.

Thoughts?

I've never taken a self defense class but believe it's a spendid idea. While I'm not familiar with Krav Maga, I would think it's effective as it was developed by the Israeli army.

Just curious, do you and/or your DH feel a need to enhance your ability to protect yourselves?

Hey ladies...anyone ever taken a self defense class? I'm signing up for 6 weeks of Krav Maga starting in a couple of weeks. DH has been taking it for a month or so now, and I'm intrigued.

Thoughts?
I took a self defense class in 1968 from an instructor who claimed to have had similar training and experience (I never really checked on his background, since the class was a free introductory series). I was really motivated and the first day I did everything he taught us to do, enthusiastically. Despite the fact that I was young (20), strong, athletic, and I thought fairly fit, I couldn't even get out of bed the next day!! I have never been so sore in all my life. I didn't go back. Hopefully your instructor will start you out more gradually than this one did.

Last edited:
On questions like this I always ask myself. Who would I like to be reincarnated as? (My first choice is always one of my sisters absurdly pampered cats). When I was born 50 years ago, I think I was very fortunate to be born a white male in the US.

I'd still think that was best option up until that last 20 years ago. I think it is marginally better to be born white in this country, although Asian is pretty close. The good news is that ethnicity is less important now days.

As far as gender is concerend I do believe that the pendulum has swing over, and I think I rather been reincarnated as woman than man today. While woman do face some discrimination (IMO as much by fellow woman as men and I believe there is evidence to support this), they pretty much can do anything men do and are generally accepted. Woman doctors, generals, pilots, astronauts, CEOs. cops, lawyers, truck driver, professional athlete not a problem. But woman have a options to do things that still get a snicker when men do them. For example: Male model, stay at home dad, nannies, strippers, kindergarten teacher, scrapbooker, ballet, sewing, romance novelist, trophy husband.

So while opportunities for woman have expanded tremendously, and a single career woman with no kids,or kids but without a husband are perfectly acceptable. After marriage a woman can continue to work or not.

In contrast the roles for man haven't changed much in the last 50 years. The expectation is that men will pursue woman and even pay for initial dates. After marriage the man is still expected to be the primary bread winner. In divorces, woman still are awarded primary custody. It is still ok for woman to be emotionally, but not ok for men.

It seems me that woman now days have a lot more options than men. I think life is pretty grand if you are cute girl with wealthy parents (aka Paris Hilton). So in my next life I plan on being the cute daughter of 2nd generation Asian-American tech entrepreneur.

I hope I don't have a next life. This one has been enough for me. :p

As far as gender is concerend I do believe that the pendulum has swing over, and I think I rather been reincarnated as woman than man today.

Thank you for your thoughtful insights. As always, clifp, I always enjoy reading your comments. Before wishing to being reicarnated as a woman, you may want to reflect on the dowside of the feminine experience. We often wish for something different, but the reality is both sexes have their burdens to bear. That's really what this tread is all about. Understanding what it means to be something other than what you are.

Peace:flowers:

My lasting impression was, man is that guy tall! His stovepipe boots came up almost to my waist...

From a Web site,
His size varied considerably over time. Standing 6' 2", he weighed about 200 pounds as a young man, but then his weight plummeted to an unhealthy 140 pounds when his drug addiction was at its peak in the mid-1960s. His weight increased when he kicked his habits, and he eventually became overweight, weighing about 250 pounds by his 50s.

Before wishing to being reicarnated as a woman, you may want to reflect on the dowside of the feminine experience.

Prominently to include sleeping with men.

Ha

Prominently to include sleeping with men.

Ha

Wow that is a pretty big downside. Although my gay friend says it isn't really that bad.

Ok so I'll be reincarnated as cute, rich, Asian American girl, who is bi-sexual. :LOL:

I've never taken a self defense class but believe it's a spendid idea. While I'm not familiar with Krav Maga, I would think it's effective as it was developed by the Israeli army.

Just curious, do you and/or your DH feel a need to enhance your ability to protect yourselves?

Not really, I'm interested in the exercise benefits. Just a more interesting workout than the treadmill. Although I'm sure that knowing more about self-defense can't really hurt.

We have a shotgun, but not a handgun in the house. I am not a fan, particularly, but I'd probably be alright if DH decided to get one at some point in the future. We live way out in the country and feel quite safe there with the pack of man-eating border collies ready to protect us! :whistle:

...We have a shotgun, but not a handgun in the house. I am not a fan, particularly, but I'd probably be alright if DH decided to get one at some point in the future. We live way out in the country and feel quite safe there with the pack of man-eating border collies ready to protect us! :whistle:
Same here...not a gun fan. But I have my 8 legged security system at the ready. ;)
Last week, I was outside on my screened porch, surfing, with my 2 furry kids with me. They started raising cain at 11:15 PM. I kept them in because I had been smelling skunks lately.
I heard some minor gravel crunching on the other side of the fence, which I assumed was a skunk moving around.
I was called the next day by the "right next door" neighbor. His daughter looked outside later on and saw some guy just kinda meandering down the road. Most likely exploring the parked cars for an easy theft.
The neighbor's unlocked car was relieved of loose change and almost his CD player. I'll bet anything the thief heard my dogs and hightailed it.
I asked the father to make sure that next time any of them see someone wandering around aimlessly at that hour, just call the cops.

.... In divorces, woman still are awarded primary custody....

Yes, that happens as the majority of men neither request nor fight for custody. When filing for divorce either as a petitioner or respondent, each party checks off a box designating whether they want custody to go to the father or the mother. Why do most people check off "mother"?

Yes, that happens as the majority of men neither request nor fight for custody. When filing for divorce either as a petitioner or respondent, each party checks off a box designating whether they want custody to go to the father or the mother. Why do most people check off "mother"?
I would guess because many fathers feel that their wife was/is a good mother, even if the man-woman relationship was strained or wrecked. Also many men want the time to focus on career and maybe new women who will show up quickly enough.

But not all fathers are this way. My son who was still at home stayed with me. We let him decide. today both my sons are closer to me than to their mother. They are very loving and respectful toward her, but I think in the background they know that she can be unpredictable.

And not all women should be raising 15 year old boys alone, or with a succession of boyfriends.

I know an older guy who makes his living playing and teaching sax around town. When his family split up some years ago his two junior high school age daughters stayed with him. He somehow managed to take care of them all the way, and now one is an orthopod and the other a professor and they both are very close to him. He dropped everything for years except work and looking out for his daughters. He only went back to dating years later when they both were in college.

Ha

But not all fathers are this way. My son who was still at home stayed with me. We let him decide....

And not all women should be raising 15 year old boys alone, or with a succession of boyfriends.

Ha

Funny, Ha, in my post that you quoted, I edited out a line, "a few good men do get custody." Sounds like that was a good outcome for your family. Seems to me that custody is negotiated or agreed on most of the time rather than awarded.

I worked with a man, still married, who had to frequently rush home to defend his wive from their very large teen-age son. Raising kids is not easy.

My SO had custody of four boys after his divorce ( ages 4,6,8and 15). He basically put is life on hold for several years while he raised them . He did a great job . His boys adore him and enjoy spending time with him . I have to say this was one of the things that made him attractive to me .

My SO had custody of four boys after his divorce ( ages 4,6,8and 15). He basically put is life on hold for several years while he raised them . He did a great job . His boys adore him and enjoy spending time with him . I have to say this was one of the things that made him attractive to me .

I would find this very appealing too. It shows true character.

I would find this very appealing too. It shows true character.
And does a woman who raises four children after a divorce also get the same props? OMG, there are a lot of women out there with "true character." Agreed?

And does a woman who raises four children after a divorce also get the same props? OMG, there are a lot of women out there with "true character." Agreed?

You betya:)

Back
Top Bottom