Happy Women's Equality Day!

First you let them vote, then they start getting elected. It's a slippry slope.

Next thing you know one will be President.

Rileys_Rumble_2009.jpg

OK......now you.:cool:

Dang, I'm impressed! OK, here's mine. Now you all know that Khan is my long lost cousin:

Attachments

• Chest.jpg
    Chest.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 116
Thanks for the thread Purron. :)

So strange to think that women were not allowed to vote, but the sons they gave birth to could.

We've come a long way baby....

Great. Now that you have suffrage and are happy about it, feel free to assume all of the duties that go with it but which men seem to inexplicably been stuck with, like mandatory "Selective" Service registration, staffing up the combat units of the military, etc.

Women equal to men? No way!

Sure, they can vote. I don't care. They can be presidents. I don't care. There have been female prime ministers in other countries. So it's no big deal.

But women are not men.

They are, well, er, ... cute, for lack of a better word.

I have always thought so since in first grade, and have not changed my mind since.

Great. Now that you have suffrage and are happy about it, feel free to assume all of the duties that go with it but which men seem to inexplicably been stuck with, like mandatory "Selective" Service registration, staffing up the combat units of the military, etc.

Women equal to men? No way!
Sure, they can vote. I don't care. They can be presidents. I don't care. There have been female prime ministers in other countries. So it's no big deal.
But women are not men.
They are, well, er, ... cute, for lack of a better word.
I have always thought so since in first grade, and have not changed my mind since.
All excellent points. Until society as a whole allows both genders to be on a level playing field, it will not happen. And maybe it shouldn't.
We could spend a lot of time arguing this, but I think my time would be better spent understanding that both sexes have a lot to contribute, together.
Can I carry a gun into battle and shoot people? No, I personally haven't the nerves for that.
Would I go alongside to carry the ammunition and water and watch your back? Yes, in a heartbeat.

And yes, I am cute. :D

Over the last 15 years, my local park district, funded with my tax dollars, has offered over 200 classes, activities, and events exclusively for women. They've offered 0 classes, activities, and events exclusively for men. I signed up for a women's-only backpacking trip but was refused participation solely because of my sex. They didn't refund my fee. That's how equality is defined today.

10 years to the week after the Supreme Court decided it was constitutional that women didn't have to register for the draft, they decided it was unconstitutional that the Citadel excluded women. Women have the same rights to a military education as men, but they don't have the same responsibilities for forced military service. Women have rights. Men have responsibilities. That's how equality is defined today.

Shane Seyer was raped by his female baby sitter when he was 12 years old (she was legally convicted of "contributing to the misconduct of a child"). After the baby sitter became pregnant, Shane was orded to pay child support to his rapist by the Kansas Supreme Court. I hope he had a good paper route. Boy gets raped. Rapist gets child support. That's how equality is defined today.

Men are the overwhelming victims of violent crime. In domestic relationships, hundreds of studies have found equal rates of partner abuse among men and women (typically, 25% of abuse is unilateraly committed by men, 25% of abuse is unilaterally committed by women, 50% of abuse is mutual between both partners). A common factoid is women are the victims of domestic violence every 15 seconds. However, the same study found that men are the victims of domestic violence every 14 seconds. So what do we do? We have a multi-billion dollar "violence against women" act. Women are more important than men. That's how equality is defined today.

On British and Qantas Airways, men are not allowed to sit next to unaccompanied children. It's because all men are pedophiles and child abusers (despite the fact that women commit the majority of child abuse and child homicide). That's how equality is defined today.

As for the 19th amendment, throughout much of American history, both men and women were not allowed to vote (e.g., depending on jurisdiction, voting was often confined to property owners).

Women should be allowed to go topless as soon as coed restrooms and locker rooms become mandatory. Either you accept differences between men and women or you don't. It can't go both ways.

Now, I have to get back to increasing the discriminatory pay disparity between men and women. I've been in my office since 7:00 am. It's now a little after 8:00 pm. I hope to go home before midnight. But it's unfair that I'm paid more than most women.

I knew I shouldn't have logged in today (but I just love you guys too much).

From an author I once heard about:

"Whenever women have insisted on absolute equality with men, they have invariably wound up with the dirty end of the stick. What they are and what they can do makes them superior to men, and their proper tactic is to demand special privileges, all the traffic will bear. They should never settle merely for equality. For women, "equality" is a disaster."
Robert A. Heinlein

Wow...here I was proud of the simple fact that women got the right to vote.

Well, guess what...I'm still proud.

btw...As for the military, I wasn't able to get in because of my vision. So, I do what I can now by being a volunteer cop....for the past nine years. Believe me, I don't get slack from anyone because I'm a female. Someone with purpose will be more than happy to put a bullet in my head.

One thing for sure, I don't want co-ed washrooms after hearing what Fuego had to say about the washroom at work. :)

There are likely as many women in the armed forces who want to go into combat as there are men who don't want to--easy enough to swap them out. And I do not understand why women don't have to register for the selective service.

All the years I lived in Austin, I'm pretty sure topless was legal for both sexes. Someone occasionally made a big deal about it. And some folks would go check out the views at Barton Springs pool.

Audrey

One thing for sure, I don't want co-ed washrooms after hearing what Fuego had to say about the washroom at work. :)

At my the last surgery center I worked at we had a co-ed locker room . It could get interesting .

There are likely as many women in the armed forces who want to go into combat as there are men who don't want to--easy enough to swap them out. And I do not understand why women don't have to register for the selective service.
ditto, although I suspect the main reason for the latter is that congress/senate is "not comfortable with the idea of women in combat" even though it happens all the time now. I suspect it's just a matter of time before every young person has to register.

Audrey

True. Like police and firefighters, there will need to be some requirement of fitness and strength -- but gender itself should not be relevant to anyone who passes these standards.

Here in Spain, women, by law,women must be at least 50% of the candidates presented by a political party running for office, of the freely appointed top echelons of pulbic services and ditto re public owned company boardroom members. Trying to do the same with private big corporations....
I´m not sure I agree with these mandatory quotas.
What do all of you think about this ¿rather extreme? sample of affirmative action?

Here in Spain, women, by law,women must be at least 50% of the candidates presented by a political party running for office, of the freely appointed top echelons of pulbic services and ditto re public owned company boardroom members. Trying to do the same with private big corporations....
What do all of you think about this ¿rather extreme? sample of affirmative action?

This is surprising to me. Personally, I don't like mandatory quotas. Let the best man or woman win.

I think it sucks.

We should strive to make sure the social and educational opportunities are there for both men and women to pursue as they desire. We should not generally use quotas to enforce specific results. To do so is to assume that men and women are equally likely to be drawn to the same occupations, and while there is a lot of overlap, I think our "wiring" is just different enough that there's no way to ensure equality without gender discrimination (in both directions) based on qualifications.

Back
Top Bottom