Join Early Retirement Today

Has anyone used a Tile type device? Was it useful?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Has anyone used a Tile type device? Was it useful?

Has anyone used a Tile type device to find a lot wallet, keys, phone, etc.?
Was it as easy to use and useful as they claim? Did they fit your key ring, wallet, etc easily?

https://www.thetileapp.com/

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have been considering it but haven't pulled the trigger.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've wanted one of these, which is a new GPS app based dog tracker for the runaway dog of my pack. Tempted to order one to see how it works in our rural area.

https://www.getfindster.com/

For the phone, I use the Find My Phone feature, just need to have another phone or computer to log into so I can locate, which is usually not a problem.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I use TrackR (https://www.thetrackr.com/). I haven't lost anything yet but it did pass all of my testing. If you are within Bluetooth-range it will take you to the lost object with the warmer/colder method. It does make a sound to help with the location process but it is the same frequency (apparently) as my tinnitus so I can't hear it (but others can). The frequency cannot be changed or volume increased at the present time but they tell me they are working on it.

They say that this will also work if the lost object is within Bluetooth range of anyone else that has the App installed on their phone... I suppose this would be useful if someone stole your car, for instance.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

A business I work closely with sent me a Tile for a Christmas thank you gift. Haven't even opened it up as I'm not really sure what I would do with it. I guess I could stick it in my bookbag in the rare event we become separated. Might be more handy this summer when we're traveling through Europe in case it gets stolen or lost.

The limited battery life (a year??) doesn't make it appealing to me long term given the cost and hassle of periodic replacement.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I've heard of folks putting them on their pet, although it's not designed for this, since anyone with the app can find your pet, it raises the odds of them being found, vs flyers taped to the poles/polls
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #7

Bought a 4 pack for the family for Christmas.
Put one on my key ring and downloaded app to my Moto G phone. It works well so far. Only complaint is I accidentally pressed the find phone button a couple times. Couldn't figure out what was chiming the first time.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I've wanted one of these, which is a new GPS app based dog tracker for the runaway dog of my pack. Tempted to order one to see how it works in our rural area.

For the phone, I use the Find My Phone feature, just need to have another phone or computer to log into so I can locate, which is usually not a problem.

One GrandDog wears this or something similar.
Worked well when he ran off and some girls snuck him into the bar down the street from his home. (He's as handsome as GrandPa.)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #9

Quote:
...for the runaway dog of my pack.
He's usually at the taproom

How much are the monthly subscription fees for "Tile" and "getfindster"? The only time I considered something like that was for locating a lost aircraft (something like https://www.uavfind.com/, but there are many). This particular one has no fees. One-time $220. "up to" 2 mile range, according to the web page. There are GPS technology types as well for UAV's.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Haha! The canine runaway dog, not DH! Him, I can track via the Find Friends on his phone!

That's actually the cool thing about the dog gps is that there's no fee. It's just the tracker and an app--no subscription. That's why it appealed to me.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #11

Tried TrackR to find my car. Did not work for me and I had to return it.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Find my phone works well. We found DWs twice when it fell out of her bike mount. But these inexpensive tile type trackers only work short range. As near as I can tell a true GPS tracker (like find my iphone) takes a bigger device and a monitoring service. I don't see much value in a short range tracker.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The range on the Findster is only 1 Km. Better than nothing, but I'd be skeptical. I had a Garmin tracker, that is now discontinued, that worked well but needed frequent recharging.

https://techcrunch.com/2014/08/28/fi...a-monthly-fee/
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #14

I think the Tile-tag is a great idea and I would go for it (my DW constantly misplaces her car keys, for example), but the fact that it is basically a consumable and only lasts for a year has so far kept me from buying one. Does anyone know whether the batteries are user-replaceable at all?
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I think the Tile-tag is a great idea and I would go for it (my DW constantly misplaces her car keys, for example), but the fact that it is basically a consumable and only lasts for a year has so far kept me from buying one. Does anyone know whether the batteries are user-replaceable at all?
From what I have read the batteries in the Tile device are not replaceable. You have to buy a new one each year. IIRC, the TrackR has replaceable batteries however check the reviews on Amazon regarding how often they are replaced and how well the devices are liked.

I guess if one misplaces the wallet, purse or keys very often, the expense is well worth it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
From what I have read the batteries in the Tile device are not replaceable. You have to buy a new one each year. [...]I guess if one misplaces the wallet, purse or keys very often, the expense is well worth it.
In the past, I have been known to misplace my wallet or keys. However, for the last year or two both have been firmly attached to my purse with a sturdy lanyard built into the purse, that has an even sturdier clip on the end of it. This setup seems to be working nicely for me.

I think the last time I lost my purse, was in 1968. So, maybe that's one expense I can dodge.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #17

The day after the ncaa national championship game this week our buddy texted five of us wondering if we had accidently taken his keys. Of course he found them five minutes later but I can see he is a candidate for this asap
Old 01-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #18

Not a Tile but I bought this for my MIL since she is frequently losing her keys and other items in her house. Works ok.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
tile