Hot Dog Conspiracy?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well, I've been playing around with my vacuum sealer machines.

So today I get a pack of hotdogs. On the package it says 24 hot dogs. I set them up to seal. I figure, two packages of 10 each, then one of the remaining 4.

When I separate them, I there were only 22 in the pack. Counted, and recounted.

Interesting...now I wonder is this a common occurance? Did the manufacturer try to pull a fast one? Or was this just a mistake?

Who the heck (besides, me vacuum sealing them) would actually count the number of hot dogs in a pack? :LOL:

Yeah...I know..too much time on my hand :blush:

Well, I've been playing around with my vacuum sealer machines.

So today I get a pack of hotdogs. On the package it says 24 hot dogs. I set them up to seal. I figure, two packages of 10 each, then one of the remaining 4.

When I separate them, I there were only 22 in the pack. Counted, and recounted.

Interesting...now I wonder is this a common occurance? Did the manufacturer try to pull a fast one? Or was this just a mistake?

Who the heck (besides, me vacuum sealing them) would actually count the number of hot dogs in a pack? :LOL:

Yeah...I know..too much time on my hand :blush:

I'd send an e-mail to the hot dog company CEO, perhaps attaching a photo of the hot dogs. He might give you coupons for free hot dogs, for bringing this to his attention. :D

I've gotten free stuff from several manufacturers over the years by emailing & complaining about my dissapointment with their products. Some less expensive items, and a few fairly expensive. From a couple of marine & fishing equipment makers, I've gotten free boat seats, a free electric trolling motor mount (retail about $180). and other items. I once had a food maker ship me a whole case of mayonaise! Just depends on how unhappy you come across in the email, I guess.

Normal supermarket packages of hot dogs come in packs of 8 each, while hot dog buns come in packs of 10 each, so maybe they figured that since the average consumer probably expects a mismatch, they could get away with it.

More seriously, W2R is right. I would also weigh them and check for a net weight marking on the package, as another check on the company.

I'm really not upset or anything (what's a couple of weenies among friends? :LOL:), but just found it interesting.

I wouldn't think a manufacturer would be a bold to purposely put 2 less dogs in a package. Yet at the same time I bet over 95% of people who open a 24 pack of dogs don't count them.

I suppose if I really wanted to, I could buy another pack and count them to see if that is a pattern or not. ...but I have better things to do :)

BTW..they from Aldi, Parkview brand, Bun Length, 24 pack in case anyone interested.

Maybe they figured the little weiners would mate?

p.s. thank you for posting about food sealers in the first place. I had no idea such things existed!

Maybe they figured the little weiners would mate?

p.s. thank you for posting about food sealers in the first place. I had no idea such things existed!

I'm sure next time (don't know when) I buy a pack, out of curiosity, I'll count the dogs :whistle:

You're welcome about the food sealers. Lately, I've been snatching up some original Foodsavers at ebay. Just couldn't pass up a good deal :)

I've always enjoyed a good game of "hide the weenie" - especially in my younger years. :whistle:

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm once good as I ever was...

And again, you say your wife vacations without you...

:D:D:D

But I might tell her to reconsider, what with your rapier-like wit!

It just goes to show you gotta watch yer wiener playing around with that vacuum thingy...:whistle:

I never bought another one. Only the one that had 22.
We know! But what's keeping you from going out tonight to get another one to see who hid your wienies?

We will be waiting here with bated breath for you to return from the grocery store with your finding.

This is important. If the hot dog maker intends to cheat, we need to alert the FTC ASAP. :)

We know! But what's keeping you from going out tonight to get another one to see who hid your wienies?

We will be waiting here with bated breath for you to return from the grocery store with your finding.

This is important. If the hot dog maker intends to cheat, we need to alert the FTC ASAP. :)

I decided just to keep my wienies the way it is. End of story.

I did put the brand of the wienies in another post. So, others.. feel free to go on a wienie hunt if your heart desires.

Boy do we need a that's all folks for this thread :)

We've got more important matters to discuss like a Jelly Bean that looks like a Princess!

I decided just to keep my wienies the way it is...

Boy do we need a that's all folks for this thread :)
You wish. ;)

Now, everyone knows the peril of opening any matter up for discussions at a forum frequented by people who have nothing to do all day. :cool:

We shall not lay the [-]wienies[/-] matter to rest and need to get to the bottom of this possible fraudulent scheme.

For once, ever since I joined this forum, I just cannot think of a comment to top what I'm reading. :nonono: Put this one in the record books. ;)

You guys are priceless! :LOL:

I think you should start your letter of complaint as follows:

Dear CEO of Mega-foods:

Recently I purchased a package of XYZ wieners from ABC grocery store. As I am a frugal shopper, I decided to split up the pack and freeze some. Imagine my surprise when the package only contained 22 instead of the 24 wieners the label stated were inside! I do not know if this was an oversight or a way to cut costs, but suffice it to say, it got my undies in a bundle which in turn made my wiener uncomfortable.

So, I would like a coupon for a free package of XYZ wieners sent to me ASAP. I am not afraid to say I am a real wiener lover, and have been that way since I was a kid. This event has left me traumatized, and I almost ready to give up wieners for life. The ball is your court. I am merely trying to reach a wiener-wiener situation.

Regards,

John Doe

I think you should start your letter of complaint as follows:

Dear CEO of Mega-foods:

Recently I purchased a package of XYZ wieners from ABC grocery store. As I am a frugal shopper, I decided to split up the pack and freeze some. Imagine my surprise when the package only contained 22 instead of the 24 wieners the label stated were inside! I do not know if this was an oversight or a way to cut costs, but suffice it to say, it got my undies in a bundle which in turn made my wiener uncomfortable.

So, I would like a coupon for a free package of XYZ wieners sent to me ASAP. I am not afraid to say I am a real wiener lover, and have been that way since I was a kid. This event has left me traumatized, and I almost ready to give up wieners for life. The ball is your court. I am merely trying to reach a wiener-wiener situation.

Regards,

John Doe

Dear Mr. Dough,

We are in receipt of your letter complaining about the size of our package. We appreciate your wiener worries and apologize if you feel we shorted you. Recently we uncovered an issue with our wiener stuffers. Although this issue did not affect our product quality, the machinery that pulls othe product off the line for wrapping would occasionally jerk off a wiener or two. (the problem is not the meat, it's the motion) Apparently this resulted in what we refer to as shrinkage, (reducing the numbers of wieners in the package). You obviously got a smaller package than than you expected, and on behalf of all of us guys here at XYZ, I apologize and ask you to let us try again soon. We are really proud of our wieners and sausages here at XYZ , and hope to provide you with a more satisfying experience next time. Please accept the enclosed coupons for XYZ products, including our full line of Polish and German sausages, which many of our customers prefer over smaller wieners.

Regards,

Frank N. Furter
CEO, Wieners-R-US

Back
Top Bottom