Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How did or do you earn your money?
Private sector employee 105 69.08%
Self employeed/business owner 22 14.47%
Military 10 6.58%
Civilian Federal or State employee 34 22.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Gamboling through various enterprises, public private an' military.

There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
How did or do you earn your money?
According to this thread, apparently I didn't do much to earn any of my veteran's entitlements.

Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
How about "livin' off the fat o' the land"? That's been my strategy so far.
I prefer my current stock-market ambitions of "collecting the stupid tax"...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
I retired from my job as a therapist in a community center in 2000. With two real estate properties in California, we thought we were set.

A friend of mine had a business for sale in 2006 - an herb farm! I always loved that world, so we purchased the business (not the land). - no, not a pot farm

We have since incorporated, and, for some reason the business has been booming! Quite frankly, this enterprise really helped during the past two years or so during the stock market crash. It is like growing a garden (no pun intended), and watching things progress. I never thought I would like to have my own business, but this experience has been really fun. And, I spend about 20 hours per week in the herb room. I still have plenty of time for other forms of fun.

Now my daughter wants to help - she loves the "herby" world as well, and it will turn out to be a perfect business to pass on.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
Worked in the private sector for a few months after high school until an opportunity to get a job with the state came up. Started in the mail room and took classes to become an registered engineer after transferring to the Department of Transportation. Worked my way up to project manager, before I left. Probably could have been promoted higher, but was a bit of a rogue and pissed off a few of the wrong people and made a decision not to apply for anymore promotions with about 3 or 4 years left due to some anxiety issues.

No I live on the pension. It's decent, but I'm not rich and I'm happy as heck!
Retired July 4th, 2010 at age 43
Trout Bum, Writer, Full-Time Dad and Husband

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #25
100% of what I have earned (and saved) is from the private sector.

Originally Posted by nun View Post
What type of organization did you work for?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
I marked Military for mine. It's not that I have not had other jobs, but this Army thing is the first one that actually paid enough to be worth sticking around for.

In the future, however, I hope to ease this more and more toward the self-employed side of things. My credit has gone up a lot over the last year, and I've been told by bankers that I could be approved for a home loan, if I wanted one. After hearing this, my wife turned to me and asked if I'd be interested in purchasing a place with a view primarily toward its future value for resale and current value as a rental.

I think the seeds I have been planting with her have finally taken root. They should. I've probably talked enough BS by now that they have plenty of fertilizer.

Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #27
gone traveling
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Adult film star.
I tried that for awhile. Unfortunately, I came up a little short in trying to prepare for ER ....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #28
I worked in the actuarial field for 23 years. It was in the private sector.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I pretend to w*rk, they pretend to pay me...
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
First person in my family for three generations to NOT have w*rked for the Federal government at some point during their career.

So far, so good....
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Will be interesting to see the "Africanization" of the US Priesthood. Africa seems to be the one place where the Catholic Church has the best chance of significantly increasing the number of Priests serving Catholics worlwide.
I hope at least they will be a little easier on teenage boys who masturbate than the Irish and German maniacs of my youth were.
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by haha
...teenage boys who masturbate...
Is there some other kind?
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #33
I've done a little of all, but the bulk of it was in law enforcement. A fascinating job overall provided one emerges with one's limbs and sanity intact.

Now I'm just doing armed security at a pay rate that made me feel guilty but with therapy I got over it.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote