Votes: 39 17.6%
  • More than $3 per day

Votes: 48 21.6%
  • We tip varying amounts or not regularly

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • No tip

Votes: 69 31.1%

• Total voters
Certainly it must not be about pay levels as I just read Frontier airlines already allows tipping of Flight Attendants via the inflight app. (median salary of flight attendants is $50,500).

But who tips the cleaner team of the airplane ??
Of course you are correct. But many still seem to misunderstand it as some type of strange charity.

And then there is the proliferation of tip jars and tip "apps". Someone hands me a cup of coffee and the payment process includes a possible tip amount. Since these appear to cause some folks to tip previously un-tipped transactions, you will see more of them I expect, and in new places.

It is rather awkward when you go up to a food service place where you have to wait in line to order and you have to physically stand and wait to pick up your food that they have a little display they turn toward you that prompts you to tip 15% 20% or 25%. It really undermines what I thought a tip was for....service.

I'd be curious to see this poll again 2 or 3 years from now to see if the 31.25% changes.
I've never worked a tipped position myself but believe these tips are appreciated by housekeeping and contribute to their household budget. Those are reasons enough for me to tip.

I'd be curious to see this poll again 2 or 3 years from now to see if the 31.25% changes.
I've never worked a tipped position myself but believe these tips are appreciated by housekeeping and contribute to their household budget. Those are reasons enough for me to tip.

I believe anybody appreciates a tip, and this has lead to the proliferation of tip jars all over the country.

Frankly I sometimes wonder what is the difference between a tip and and a bribe ?

Gosh, it really depends on the type of hotel and the level of service. We don’t use hotels much in the US, so most of our tipping is in Europe.

Usually $5 per day but at the end of the stay.

I usually leave $5 each night for the maid.

What I have noticed more and more is lack of a thank you after a tip. I often leave a tip at the bar, or they see me put money in a jar and they don’t even acknowledge it with a thank you. Kinda irks me, like it is just expected.

What are the mechanics of leaving a tip for housekeeping? I mean if I left $5 on the table in the room how is the housekeeper supposed to know that is a tip, maybe it's not a tip, it's just money I left on the table (assuming I have not checked out yet) and she will be accused of theft? Even if I have checked out, maybe I just left the cash on the table by accident and will come back after I realized I left it there and accuse her of theft?

Last edited:
I haven't read the whole thread, maybe this was addressed, but what are the mechanics of leaving a tip for housekeeping? I mean if I left $5 on the table in the room how is the housekeeper supposed to know that is a tip, or maybe it's not a tip and I left it there by accident and she will be accused of theft?

I always leave it sticking out halfway under the pillow.

My mom always left it on top of the pillow which is what I do.

We generally tip a few buck upon checkout, but usually don't use their daily cleaning service. If we are staying less than a week, the "do not disturb sign" stays on the door. I'm not a complete germaphobe, but upon checkin, I break out the lysol and spray everything down, even the bathroom floors, which usually makes the wiping towel black with dirt (even at nice hotels). We might swap out towels after a couple nights, but do not invite maid service in with their dirty cleaning rags used in the previous room.

I usually leave $5 each night for the maid.

What I have noticed more and more is lack of a thank you after a tip. I often leave a tip at the bar, or they see me put money in a jar and they don’t even acknowledge it with a thank you. Kinda irks me, like it is just expected.

I was recently in a United lounge at LAX (very nice by the way) and got a free rum and coke, so I put a tip on the bar. Bartender whom I had had a conversation with left it there.
About 5 minutes later I look back at the bar and the tip is still there :confused:
So I walked back and asked if I committed a "faux pas" by my actions, since maybe they are not allowed to accept tips ?

She then took the tip and put it in the ceramic jar (tip jar?) on the back counter.

An hour later, I got a free white wine from a different bartender, and did NOT leave a tip.

No appreciation, or too complex I'm not going to play the tip game.

I was recently in a United lounge at LAX (very nice by the way) and got a free rum and coke, so I put a tip on the bar. Bartender whom I had had a conversation with left it there.
About 5 minutes later I look back at the bar and the tip is still there :confused:
So I walked back and asked if I committed a "faux pas" by my actions, since maybe they are not allowed to accept tips ?

She then took the tip and put it in the ceramic jar (tip jar?) on the back counter.

An hour later, I got a free white wine from a different bartender, and did NOT leave a tip.

No appreciation, or too complex I'm not going to play the tip game.

Don't try to read motivations into peoples' actions...that way madness lies. ;)

My guess is that at an average bar with a crowd, the bartender has to pick up money as soon as they see it or some random customer might snatch it. But if I were tending bar at a lounge like that where the drinks are free, I'd probably want to leave a tip out where it's visible as long as possible so other patrons might see it and think to tip. Kind of like how most buskers will put a bill or two into their hat or open instrument case to prompt people to give.

You could fold the money up in some origami swan or something and leave it on the pillow which would make it pretty obvious it was not by mistake.

What are the mechanics of leaving a tip for housekeeping? I mean if I left $5 on the table in the room how is the housekeeper supposed to know that is a tip, maybe it's not a tip, it's just money I left on the table (assuming I have not checked out yet) and she will be accused of theft? Even if I have checked out, maybe I just left the cash on the table by accident and will come back after I realized I left it there and accuse her of theft?

We always use the notepad in the room and scribble "thanks" on it with the cash on top.

Sometimes the cleaning staff leaves a little form letter welcoming you to the room and telling you "random person's name" will be cleaning your room. You can leave the tip on top of that.

I leave the tip where the shampoo and conditioner were. DW and I like those reloaded every day too. We give them to a shelter for women who have experienced domestic violence and need a safe place to stay. We actually bring and use our own supplies except for a single bar of soap per stay. That nets us more to give.

on the very, very rare occasion that finds us in a ho/motel it's usually for 1-night and i'll drop a $20. i like being generous.

I just leave a Thanks! note with a :) and at least $2.00. We always tipped our housekeeper/ lawn guy $100 at Christmas. It just feels good to do.

In a m/hotel, we try to choose rooms with coffee. I always request more coffee/ etc and most of the nice ladies will leave it in abundance, so their tips can increase nicely. These folks aren't making a fortune, and like food service workers, they deal with a lot of human yuk. I cannot imagine a worse job.

We stay in AirBnBs at least 50% of the time if we can, and for that we don't tip. Many charge cleaning fees also, which can seem like a fleecing fee to me. Our home is appropriate for overnight company anytime... I tip with a thorough great detail-filled review (if earned, and most do), which results in them being able to raise their rates. The first guy we stayed with ever- in Pace FL (Pensacola area)- started out at $30/ night and now 5 years later is $110/ night. It's a really nice place, on a creek, but we still find nice places in the $40/50 range there.

Back
Top Bottom