How To Turn Off Facebook "Likes?"

NoiseBoy

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have about 125 friends on Facebook and I try to keep that list to only people that I actually know. Still, my news feed is clogged with messages that so-and-so likes this-and-that. I've tried a Google search for ways to turn of seeing these messages, but the only thing that I came up with was to use Friends Lists. When I created one, the options to not see "likes" was not in the menu as shown in the post that I was trying to follow.

Does anyone here know of a way to turn of seeing what your friends "like" short of unfollowing them? I don't mind seeing what people share, and I try to read all original comments that my friends post, but lately I would guess that my News Feed is 80% crap that I simply do not care about. I do not want to know that friend A liked one of their friends posts because I almost never know who these other people are. Can anyone help me?

when you see a post, on the right side there is a dropdown where you can "Hide Post" (See fewer posts like this) or "Unfollow that person" (Stop seeing posts from this person but stay friends.)

You want to "Hide Post"

Last edited:
That's what I do. A lot of post hiding and "I don't want to see posts like this". It seems to help. If someone gets too annoying I do unfollow them.

when you see a post, on the right side there is a dropdown where you can "Hide Post" (See fewer posts like this) or "Unfollow that person" (Stop seeing posts from this person but stay friends.)

You want to "Hide Post"

I have done a little of this, mostly for ads and those annoying game posts. Maybe I'll spend this weekend hiding the posts that I don't want to see and then see if that helps.

Or do what I did...deactivated my Facebook account. No regrets and no unwanted posts on politics, dogs, cats or babies.

Ok , we get that there are a lot of Facebook curmudgeons here , no need continue the 'just ditch Facebook' posting dogpile

If your browser supports it, download the Facebook Purity plugin. You can filter, block, and reformat the display to your heart's content.

Ok , we get that there are a lot of Facebook curmudgeons here , no need continue the 'just ditch Facebook' posting dogpile
One person in the thread so far who has advocated for ditching it. That's hardly a dogpile.

After spending about 45 minutes hiding posts or hiding from posts, I feel like I'm in the witness protection program. Thanks for the tip. Hope it helps.

I wish the newsfeed had more powerful filtering features. FB has allowed me to keep in touch with a lot of people with way less effort (on both sides) than email did. But the stream of "likes" of topics/conversations that I have nothing to do with is annoying.

I'll have to look at FB purity

mh, are you the resident monitor on what can and can't be said about Facebook? Why not try being nice and let people have their say?

Game posts are easy... you can readily ignore all posts generated from any Facebook app, including games. It's a shame that "Likes" isn't a Facebook app, so they can be blocked the same way. I've never tried trying to affect how much "Likes" show up in my feed by hiding posts. I'll have to try that.

I'll also have to look into FB Purity. I used to use Better Facebook/Social Fixer, but eventually it stopped working well.

I've spent the weekend hiding so-and-so likes such-and-such posts and it seems to be helping. My news feed is much cleaner now, so thanks to Chilipepr for the tip. I think that I will continue on with this strategy rather than installing a browser plugin for now.

How To Turn Off Facebook "Likes?"

mh, are you the resident monitor on what can and can't be said about Facebook? Why not try being nice and let people have their say?

Well, they can , but the topic was how to do
Something in Facebook , not " forget that ! Just quit face book " .

It is a solution I suppose (shrug)

Last edited:
There are so many articles on controlling Facebook that a simple Google search (e.g., facebook tricks) will keep you busy for days personalizing your experience.

I go through a similar dance with some of the folks on my facebook friends list.

What I've done is put people as my acquaintance and not as a friend. This limits seeing their feeds somewhat. The key then is no pull up their facebook feed or do a like on any of their comments for awhile. Those actions must tell facebook that you really aren't that interested in them so you get less feeds from them.

But if you view their feed or do a like or respond to their comments, you'll get the usual onslaught of them until you once again show less interest.

I have a brother who I swear takes a picture of his dinner place every time he goes out. I really don't want to see that, but sometimes I do see what he is up to besides this. Thus, the dance.

Here is an update after a month of hiding from my friends on FB!

I would say that the suggested solution of clicking the "Hide Post" option does work, but with some caveats. The first one is that it requires regular maintenance. What I mean is that if you don't keep hiding posts, FB will start to sneak the things that your friends "like" back into your news feed. The second thing is that the posts don't go completely away, at least not all of them. If I scroll a long way back in my news feed, I will come to a section with several so-and-so likes such-and-such posts.

All in all, the solution has helped me see a lot fewer likes at the top of my news feed, so I plan to stick with it until a better solution comes along.

Here is an update after a month of hiding from my friends on FB!

I would say that the suggested solution of clicking the "Hide Post" option does work, but with some caveats. The first one is that it requires regular maintenance. What I mean is that if you don't keep hiding posts, FB will start to sneak the things that your friends "like" back into your news feed. The second thing is that the posts don't go completely away, at least not all of them. If I scroll a long way back in my news feed, I will come to a section with several so-and-so likes such-and-such posts.

All in all, the solution has helped me see a lot fewer likes at the top of my news feed, so I plan to stick with it until a better solution comes along.

Went cold turkey 4 yrs ago. Haven't missed it.

Back
Top Bottom