How would you spend $100,000 in one day ?

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you were given $100,000, but had to spend it in one day to receive the gift , how would you spend it ?. Must spend it, not save or invest.

If you were given $100,000, but had to spend it in one day to receive the gift , how would you spend it ?. Must spend it, not save or invest.

I'd buy two SUV's, one for F and one for me, and I'd have my roof replaced. It doesn't need it yet but it will in a few years. If there was enough left over I'd have F's roof replaced too.

Buy 10,000 copies of Brewsters Millions? Moving it to the top of the Amazon charts

Buy a Volvo for pickup in Sweden and then buy the vacation that goes along with it. Likely a 6 month vacation (just to use up all the $100k)

I’m actually in the process of doing this by buying a more expensive house. Bye,bye $$

New Corvette. Case closed. :D

That was my first thought but then I remembered I'm starting to have trouble getting in and out of the low-slung Honda Accord.

So instead I'd get one of those tire-smokin' 707 hp Dodge Challengers, but I'd still have some money left over. So a new car for DW too.

New minivan, New water heater, fix patio and driveway, probably a few thousand on an Amazon shopping spree for some random toys, then plan a summer in Australia/New Zealand.

I’m actually in the process of doing this by buying a more expensive house. Bye,bye $$

Congratulations!

When I did the same back in 2015, the difference in purchase price and selling price was ~$40K. But once I added the cost of moving, doing buyer requested repairs on the old house, doing an extensive landscaping/grading/concrete work to the yard of my new house and otherwise fixing it up, closing costs, and all other costs, it came to $92,603.28. So, I still would have had $7,396.72 of the $100,000 left over.

Best decision I ever made and I hope you love your new home like I do mine.

I would give 1/2 to my daughter to remodel her kitchen and master bath and 1/2 to my son for a down payment on his first house. I really don't want anything for myself, but it sure would make me happy if I could surprise my kids like that.

I would probably buy a nicer home. But it would be a challenge to organize that within one day, since I have not been looking.

I'd go buy 1000 $100 bills.

Congratulations!

When I did the same back in 2015, the difference in purchase price and selling price was ~$40K. But once I added the cost of moving, doing buyer requested repairs on the old house, doing an extensive landscaping/grading/concrete work to the yard of my new house and otherwise fixing it up, closing costs, and all other costs, it came to $92,603.28. So, I still would have had $7,396.72 of the $100,000 left over.

Best decision I ever made and I hope you love your new home like I do mine.

Ok you have till midnight local time to spend the remaining $7,396 or you have to return the $100k :LOL:.

These posts suggest the automakers and home builders should do well when retirees have disposable income.

I'd like to say use it as down payment for home in Florida. But if not possible to do that in a day my second choice is a new 4x4 crew can pickup for me and a new car for DW.

Pay off the $8X,XXX balance on my mortgage and us the rest towards a new car to replace my 14 year old Subaru.

One hell of a night in Vegas.... Wait, I've done that but I could go and try again.

Last edited:
New Corvette. Case closed. :D
If you going with the Vette, go for the C7 Z06... Should have enough left over for a tank of gas.

Last edited:

Same as others, the only way I can think of to spend that money in one shot is to buy a vehicle.

So, perhaps this class B E-Trek motorhome, but $100K is not enough. The MSRP starts at $160K. Maybe I could find a used one for less.

roadtrek_e-trek_driver-side-angled_charcoal_1280x688_04-2017-460x247.png

Last edited:
Book a 10 day trip to London and Scotland.
Redo my bathroom

It's even harder if you can't buy durable goods.

A co-worker's dad was a member of a casual "club" who had an ongoing competition regarding how much dough you could blow in 24 hours.

But no durable goods. You had to eat it, drink it or be entertained by it. They found out that it's really difficult to blow more than a couple grand.

Yeah, easy to blow on a vehicle or jewelry.

Wow, what a question. If I can’t go ‘buy cash’ somehow - I’d probably buy DW a Tesla Model S, and pony up balance over $100K. She kinda wants one, I’m lukewarm on the idea at best...

Do plane tickets and lodging count? I could put together a pretty awesome family vacation for this summer with $100k. And yeah - I'd pre-pay it all to meet the 1 day deadline.

If pre-paying a future purchase doesn't work - then a used airstream and used truck to pull it. Again - focusing on future travel. :)

It's even harder if you can't buy durable goods.

A co-worker's dad was a member of a casual "club" who had an ongoing competition regarding how much dough you could blow in 24 hours.

But no durable goods. You had to eat it, drink it or be entertained by it. They found out that it's really difficult to blow more than a couple grand.

Yeah, easy to blow on a vehicle or jewelry.
Not really.

A bottle of Cognac can help you blow more than $100K easily. From the Web:

* Cognac Brugerolle 1795

Napoleon himself was accompanied by a bottle of 1795 cognac on his conquest to rule the world. Considered to be the last of its kind in the world, the bottle sold at an auction for $149,943.

* Hennessy Beaute du Siecle Cognac

From the same makers as the No. 10 spot, this bottle of cognac features exceptional work and craftsmanship. This $194, 927 decanter is designed by French artist Jean-Miche Othoniel.

* Henri IV Dudognon Heritage Cognac Grande Champagne

At almost two million dollars a bottle, this cognac is also known as the DNA of cognac.

30+ years ago my brother won a radio contest, the prize was $10k, but he had to spend it in 98 minutes (the station’s frequency). If he didn’t spend it all, he was out of luck for the balance. I suppose the promotions department thought it would be fun to see if someone in their 18-35 demographic could actually do this, racing around the city, and they would broadcast the event. He had a day or two to contemplate his spending. So the station sends a limo and a broadcast crew to pick up him up and at 9 am the clock would start. And where does he go? Clothing? Stereo equipment? Travel agent? Jewelry? No. To a little shop that sells investment grade diamonds . He picks up a couple rocks, asks the limo driver to take him to his bank and puts them directly into the safe deposit box, and the event is over in less than an hour. Not quite as exciting as the station had hoped.

Not sure what he eventually did with the diamonds. Hopefully he made a profit.

For me and a $100 grand, I’d put in an order for an Airstream 27FB, and all the gadgets to go with it.

Back
Top Bottom