Hurricane Irene

I heard that too, Johnnie, but just assumed he had flood insurance from FEMA. If it isn't available there, I didn't know that. It is available everywhere in New Orleans. It just costs more for those of us in less than favorable flood zones.

Around here, there are programs sponsored by the states to help people get insurance (high risk pools) if they can't purchase it on the open market. We had regular flood insurance on our beach house, but we had to buy our wind coverage from the Wind and Hail Pool. As you might imagine, it is VERY expensive compared to conventional policies.

One of the many reasons we sold our house at the beach and moved to an island with less hurricane exposure was the escalation of insurance costs. Even now our insurance is pretty expensive, but we don't carry flood (not in a flood zone and built on piers) and the wind is included in our HO3 policy.

I don't know anyone whose house was "rebuilt by the fed". I think that might be a bit of a flight of fancy, designed to irritate the inlanders.

I understand flood insurance and hurricane insurance is not available if you live on a barrier island (special area designation). I heard before that if you live in one of those areas, there is some federal program that rebuilds you house if it is destroyed. I was reminded of that the other day when DW told me that the FOX reporter John Stossel had his house rebuilt by the fed.

The Federal Coastal Barrier Resources Act excludes 1.3 million acres of barrier islands and floodplains from federal subsidies, like the federally backed flood and hurricane insurance programs. One can still build there, but not with the cheaper insurance.

However, ...

The House and Senate have passed dozens of "technical corrections" to restore federal subsidies to favored constituents' properties. My favorite was the 1999 correction that removed a 200 acre parcel on North Captiva (SW Florida) in the wealthiest zip code in America from the 'no subsidy' list. Some poor soul needed gummint help to cover his insurance costs...

Welcome back online to all those wet folks in the storm path, and good luck with the clean up. I'd offer to help but I'm a bit busy right now.

Shout out to Brewer who has amazing timing and could not have chosen a better moment to leave the east coast.

Ah, if only my sale had closed before this I would have avoided a lot of worry. House came through OK and hopefully the sale is still on. My reward for selling the house will be switching my cell to a CO number.

we were visiting family for a wedding on the east coast, and were in an evacuation zone so headed out late Saturday after the wedding. The Mass pike was bumper to bumper but we eventually got home. Most of family still without power, also no cell service so have had limited contact but everyone is safe. Today sis told me that there are trees down everywhere, much flooding, no internet or TV but they were lucky enough to get power restored to their house late today. They anticipate that some areas will take several weeks to clean up.
Did anyone see the Vermont pics? Holy cow! Old covered bridges being wiped out, many roads washed away. I think when they finally make contact with everyone the death toll will be much higher.
to those who think the evacuations were overdone, I can tell you that getting in and around NYC is very difficult in the best of situations. After seeing the chaos of Katrina I think they did the right thing by being so cautious. As usual, there were several candidates for the Darwin award along with the unfortunates who were killed by fires or downed trees.
If you haven't read "Zeitoun" by Dave Eggers about the aftermath of Katrina you really should- it will put things in much better perspective.

Ah, if only my sale had closed before this I would have avoided a lot of worry. House came through OK and hopefully the sale is still on. My reward for selling the house will be switching my cell to a CO number.
Oh..excuse me. Good luck with the closing. Hope I didn't jinx anything.

You still were the first one to evacuate...

To All: We weathered the storm here in SE Va with only periodic power outages but without internet or cable TV. We now have both of these services back as of an hour or so ago ...so now can communicate and see all of what is going on. Some of our neighboring counties and cities however may not be so fortunate. We had over 12 inches of rain, lost a couple of trees (not on the house) and spent yesterday and today cleaning up. It could have been worse. But before I say that, rivers nearby are going to crest 18 feet above flood level Wednesday or Thursday so don't know what that will bring...although I can guess. . Last time it wiped out the entire downtown.:(

I'm still watching the utube videos of OBX and parts to the north...to see all of what happened. Had rabbit ears for a T.V. and a battery operated weather FM/AM radio..but not much else to get info..

Sound side OBX looks ...like it really took a beating...

When I drove to the office early this morning, here in Connecticut where a substantial portion of the state is still without power, I saw a group of utility company trucks parked in the movie theater lot in my town. They looked like they were all getting ready to go out and work on the downed lines (which are everywhere).

As I looked more carefully, I saw that they were trucks from Kansas City Power & Light, who had just driven out here since Sunday. I would like to thank them, and all the good people of Missouri, for coming to our assistance when we really need it.

Ny & vt

The destruction in the mountain towns is horrible. Roads houses businesses towns swept away. ~11" of rain in mountain streams already soaked from very wet spring/summer. NG using helicopters to bring in supplies & get people out.

DH flew out of Tampa this afternoon for a 3-week tour with the Red Cross. He landed at JFK and was then headed to White Plains, NY. He doesn't know yet exactly what location he will be supporting.

When I drove to the office early this morning, here in Connecticut where a substantial portion of the state is still without power, I saw a group of utility company trucks parked in the movie theater lot in my town. They looked like they were all getting ready to go out and work on the downed lines (which are everywhere).

As I looked more carefully, I saw that they were trucks from Kansas City Power & Light, who had just driven out here since Sunday. I would like to thank them, and all the good people of Missouri, for coming to our assistance when we really need it.

My part of Virginia was spared the worst. Our local power company is helping harder hit areas in central and southeastern VA. I'm happy they're doing this and don't care if my utility rates go up a little bit. Could be us next time. In fact, it was us during Hurricane Isabel and others from out of town helped.

One of our friends in nj just got power back on. Thank gawd it was not too hot.

A friend of mine was away in Kentucky for a long weekend with his wife and had his return flight set for Sunday canceled until last night. But this probably helped them out because when they got back home here on Long Island they had no electric in their house.

T-Dave checkin in. We are soundside in Kill Devil Hills (Outer Banks) on the water. Pretty much ground zero. Came through great considering what happened. We're 8' up and pilings. Flooded about 2 1/2 ft on the ground level (so about 3 ft over the bulkheads you see in the pics) but it's just storage. Lost a ground level beer/bait fridge and one window pane, otherwise house in perfect shape. Moved cars and water toys to higher ground. Even the dock and jet ski float made it through unscathed. Some of my neighbors didn't fare quite as well. Docks getting beat up. one Neighbors boat drifted off lift and ended up in a back yard 300 yards down the canal.

Spent the storm oceanfront at the Hilton Inn in Kitty Hawk and glad we did. Lots of serious soundside damage here but very few injuries. My neighbors who stayed spent Saturday night without power, unsure how high the water would rise under their homes, and winds gusting over 90 mph making for a nice house shake. (I will say that a few people here were a bit cocky about riding out storms until this one).

The storm did not deter us from wanting to be here at all. Call it a waterman mentality, though we have gotten some new ground level de-clutter religion. DD is already back at school today. Hatteras below Oregon Inlet has bigger issues.

That picnic bench you see on my dock (first pic) floated down from the soundfront park about 800 yards away. We might have dinner there one night before I let them know about fetchin it back:cool: Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 10

That brought back many memories of Hugo. We had utility companies from out West (way out west) that came to our aid in the weeks after the storm. It was absolutely wonderful and we thanked them in the coin of the realm, which was usually a cold soda (ice was at a premium).

TargaDave, glad to hear you came through Irene with relatively little damage. :)

Just checking over this thread to see how y'all made out from the storm. Looks like some folks were directly in the path but most came away unharmed but with some damage.

W2R, have you got your waders ready? Sounds like you're in for some serious rain. Good luck to all of you in the path of that tropical storm Lee.

Just checking over this thread to see how y'all made out from the storm. Looks like some folks were directly in the path but most came away unharmed but with some damage.

W2R, have you got your waders ready? Sounds like you're in for some serious rain. Good luck to all of you in the path of that tropical storm Lee.

:LOL: That's for sure! Sounds like we're going to get a lot of water. And thanks for the good luck wishes, which are always appreciated.

Just now I was getting gas for my car, and was surprised at the wind gusts blowing my rain jacket around while I was pumping gas. The energetic gusts reminded me of what it's like when a regular tropical storm begins to kick up. This one is supposed to be mainly a rain event and it isn't even here yet, so I was surprised.

The drizzle has turned into moderate rainfall, nothing torrential yet.

Sarah, check out "Roar of the Heavens" by Bechtel. It covers Camille in both the gulf landing, and also the lesser known but even more lethal (in death toll) flooding and landslides days later in Nelson County, VA (my home).

RunningBum....I just finished this book. Very sobering. Thank you for posting this suggestion. After finishing...I have rethought my desire to have water front property...on any coast.

Back
Top Bottom