Hypothetical Situation

bUU

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spouse A recently got a new job, really started a new career in a field related to what Spouse A has been doing in the past. Spouse A is well-liked and well-regarded at the new job, but there is a desire for Spouse A to move to the company office where the rest of the group works. (Spouse A is the only member of the team working in the company HQ, instead of the remote office.) Spouse A's job pays well, even though it is about 20% less than what Spouse A used to make.

It isn't clear if Spouse A's job is at risk if Spouse A resists such a move.

Spouse B has been in the same job for over ten years. Spouse B's job is pretty safe - Spouse B will likely only lose the job if the entire division goes away, which is a possibility, but a small one. Spouse B's position might be sufficient critical that Spouse B's employer would feel compelled to approve Spouse B working remotely. At the very least, there is an assumption (hopefully a good one) that there is little risk (to Spouse B's job) associated with asking about that possibility, given the assurance that if the answer is no then nothing would change. However, there is a recognition that such a question will incite some measure of fear into Spouse B's management, so the risk (to Spouse B's job) isn't zero.

Spouse B's salary is roughly 35% higher than Spouse A's (and so is therefore 35% more critical to the success of the FIRE plan).

It is possible that Spouse A's employer would be interested in hiring Spouse B, in another division of the company, also working out of that remote office, either in a job similar to what Spouse B does not, or perhaps even permitting Spouse B to make the same career move that Spouse A recently did (something which Spouse B has expressed interest in). Presumably, though, there would be some reduction in pay, but also presumably, in light of the context of the situation, it would likely be a minimal cut.

The couple agree that in the absence of a tacit ratification of the move by Spouse B's employer or a preemptive offer of employment to Spouse B by Spouse A's employer, the idea of the move would not be entertained.

The couple now lives 3-4 hours from Spouse B's brothers' families, with whom Spouse A is actually reasonable close with, as far as in-laws go. The aforementioned remote office is roughly 5-6 hours from a number of Spouse A's cousins (i.e., not someone that Spouse A grew up with), and is 14-15 hours from Spouse B's family. Spouse B is not close to the in-laws. So the move effectively is a conceptually a move "away" from family. Previously, there was talk about moving toward (Spouse B's) family, ten years from now. (It still might make sense to make that move, but of course it would be a second big move, and I suspect we can assume it won't happen.)

Several important friendships would likely be substantially lost in the move, but no friendships older than five years old. The move would specifically be aimed to locate the couple in close proximity a church of their faith, so while the general area is not necessary in synch with the couple's general perspective on things, there is a community of like-minded folks there.

The couple currently lives in a suburb of a major American city. The remote office is in a suburb of another major American city. The move would be from a colder climate to a warmer one, which is a good trade in winter, not so good in summer. Call it a draw. Expenses comparison: Utilities 37% less; Groceries 14% less; Housing 44% less; Transportation 4% less; Health Care 17% less.

Having read this hypothetical situation, what are you thoughts about how you'd think about the situation if you were one of the spouses? What other considerations would you think about? What criteria would you think about apply for the aspects mentioned above, and the additional considerations that you and others suggest should be thought-about?

1. There seem to be too many well thought out details for this to only be hypothetical. :D

2. I've never been keen on both spouses working for the same employer if it can be avoided. It is too risky.

3. Go with your heart and never look back.

Hehe... it truly is hypothetical. None of these situations (Spouse A being prompted to move to the remote office; Spouse B being offered a job; etc.) actually exist. The only reality is an email fight between several of Spouse A's co-workers about precisely when Spouse A should make the next trip to the remote office, and some frustration expressed therein.

Some of the wonderings - yes: wonderings - it's a word because I say it is! -- Some of the wonderings involve what kind of bonus* or pay increase, if any, would the couple expect Spouse A to be offered, to make moving worth their while. (Really: How would they decide that? More tangibly, I don't expect that just adding up broker's commission on sale of old house and cost of moving household goods will be the answer. Rather, I expect people to have an idea that some percentage, from 0% to 500% of that number, would be the answer. Perhaps part of the answer includes the amount of pay cut that the couple should be willing to accept, given the lower cost of living - or not. And so on...)

Another set of wonderings involves the value of lost friendships, and becoming more remote to some family members, up against the value of new friendships, and becoming more proximate to other family members...

I'm sure there are other wonderings we should be wondering.

_____
* The assumption is that cost-based relocation reimbursement is no longer common, because of how variable such expenses could be.

Last edited:
I think this hypothetical situation falls into the realm of marital give-and-take and compromises. A and B should talk to each other about it at length, and come to a mutual decision that both are behind.

One of the great aspects of being single again, is not having to deal with complicated situations like this one. Being retired helps a lot with that, too. :) Hopefully you will get some other responses that are more constructive than this one, while I get another cup of coffee...

I would like to know whether bUU is A or B. Hypothetically, of course! :LOL:

2. I've never been keen on both spouses working for the same employer if it can be avoided. It is too risky.

+1.

Am I the only one reading this who thought bUU is a hypothetical bigamist until realizing that A and B are married to each other about halfway through the post?

Last edited:
I think this hypothetical situation falls into the realm of marital give-and-take and compromises. A and B should talk to each other about it at length, and come to a mutual decision that both are behind.
Let's assume that both A and B are open to the perspectives of other people, as well as understanding that in the end they'll be making the decision, if any, together.

One of the great aspects of being single again, is not having to deal with complicated situations like this one.
I think A and B love each other enough that the biggest complication would be overthink - A biasing A's own perspective in a manner that A thinks will foster B's desires more than B cares about those things...

Am I the only one reading this who thought bUU is a hypothetical bigamist until realizing that A and B are married to each other about halfway through the post?
:)

And that's before we get to the Alters. ;)

Expenses comparison: Utilities 37% less; Groceries 14% less; Housing 44% less; Transportation 4% less; Health Care 17% less.
Paradoxically, a quick calculation seems to indicate that this aspect of the hypothetical would mean that the couple could FIRE as soon as they move. I'll need to confirm that tonight though.

Back
Top Bottom