I.Q.

I was always as dumb as mud......but, approaching the 77th lap, I'm about to be overtaken.

I have no idea what my IQ is. But I know I’m very good at navigating through life using logic, common sense and situational awareness. DW is very book smart, was more successful at making money, but I’m better at investing it and identifying when decisions need to be made. She has a Master’s in Tax, I have an MBA, but I do the taxes. I guess we complement each other well.

I've always felt that IQ measures ones ability to do well on IQ tests, and not much else.

Yeah, I've made it this far without knowing my IQ. I wonder that if I knew it I would have not made some of the stupid decisions I made over the years?

I didn't even know IQ went as high as 202. Must be an indicator of where I stand in the rankings :(

I'm smart enough to know that I've met people who were smarter with no common sense, smarter with common sense, not as smart but with a lot of common sense, and not as smart with little common sense.

I'm smart enough to know that no matter how good you are at doing something, there's a very good chance that there are others that are better.

I'm smart enough to know there is a lot of things I'm not very smart about.

I am a member of Mensa, but was smart enough to marry a woman with "street smarts".

I am a member of Mensa, but was smart enough to marry a woman with "street smarts".

I also am a member of Mensa. For most of my life I have thought IQ is everything important and meaningful. If you are smart you win.....right?

Now if only there were a free IQ test on the web somewhere. All the ones I've seen either charge a tidy sum or appear to be a scam to get your email address.

In my professional experience, the most successful lawyers are not always, or even mostly, the smartest ones.

As for me, never tested but assumed by most to be around room temperature.

Growing up in Korea in 70's, everyone was forced to take IQ test at school. The scores were pretty public, especially, the ones at "genius" level. My teachers, friends knew my score (at genius level) before I did. But I didn't believe I was intelligent so much so that I took two more IQ tests later in life. All 3 scores were consistently at "genius" level. Yet, I never felt smart about myself. Perhaps, I am a good test taker. For me, IQ stands for inconsistently queer.

I've always felt that IQ measures ones ability to do well on IQ tests, and not much else.

In elementary school they did "flash cards" for math. I assumed I was terribly stupid, since I had to figure out each answer, while the rest of the class had all the answers memorized. I was always a second or two behind everyone else.

Then we got to high school. I was still used to figuring things out, while the rest of the class had finally reached the point where memorization wasn't enough. I ended up in a college-level pre-calculus class in high school.

So, no, I don't have much respect for the way we do testing.

I also am a member of Mensa. For most of my life I have thought IQ is everything important and meaningful. If you are smart you win.....right?

Yeah, right. Just look at our politicians, movie stars and sports figures.

My sister was dating a guy who was a chess grandmaster, he was clever enough to loose a game to my father.

If you took the SAT or GRE, the site in the OP will give you an estimate of what an IQ test would show.

How to estimate your IQ based on your GRE or SAT scores

I wonder whether this includes the effects of SAT prep programs that, while now almost ubiquitous, were pretty much unknown 40+ years ago when I took the test. According to the College Board, who administers the tests, 20 hours of test prep results in an average gain of 115 points on the SAT. Since this presumably doesn't cause a similar gain in the raw intelligence of the test taker one would think this might skew this IQ estimate pretty strongly.

While I do remember my SAT score (since I had to regurgitate it for college applications over several months) my GRE scores are long forgotten.

Guess I'll just never know if I'm smart or not.

One of my first bosses pestered me to take the Mensa test and join the society. He was really insistent. I passed the test, but never really knew my "score," because the result was hand-written and I couldn't read the last number!

I went to a couple of meetings and was bored silly. Probably I wasn't smart enough to appreciate the other people's scintillating wit, but they seemed like stuck-up weirdos, and that's putting it kindly. And one of the women made a sexist remark that sticks with me to this day. She said, "You're too pretty to be in Mensa."

I graduated solidly in the middle of my class. My wife graduated third. Graduating college she was number one, I had a 2.2 GPA. I guess I married well that's for sure. My parents instilled commonsense and logical thinking along with the occasional smack in the head when I strayed off the mark. I was very good in sales and marketing, so made good money. I was never book smart, but could figure things out. I never took an IQ test, but surely would not do well, at this point it doesn't matter.

I'm smart enough to know that I've met people who were smarter with no common sense, smarter with common sense, not as smart but with a lot of common sense, and not as smart with little common sense.

I'm smart enough to know that no matter how good you are at doing something, there's a very good chance that there are others that are better.

I'm smart enough to know there is a lot of things I'm not very smart about.

Exactly +1

Graduated near bottom of class in college due to boredom, however had business savvy mind and streets smart and invested heavily in equities during last 30 years every month, buying more in down markets. ER'd at 51 with low IQ.

I'm just smart enough to get things done around the house with a level of confidence. I know virtually nothing about computer/tech/latest cell phone options, but can build you a barn, or rebuild your yard equipment. It serves me well, but have never felt the need to compare my number to others....just not relevant.

I learn much better with my hands on a project, figuring it out while I go (i'm a prototype technician) than an engineer who designs it all with difficult geometry/calculous.

I was always 'behind the curve' so to speak in everything from grades to sports. Neither academics or athletically inclined. I wear glasses even. Just a dumb dork. Have no idea what my wife saw in me when we married.

But I did learn one thing no one at home or school ever tried to teach me; try hard and never give up. I didn't learn that until maybe age 30 though even then. Maybe I wasn't only dumb, I was lazy, never knowing what a work ethic meant or at least give it a try. I became very successful with my work, finances, sports and personal life soon after I started to apply and commit myself fully. My home is something I built and I'm told by guests is a slice of heaven on earth. My kids never gave me a lick of trouble and are both successful in every way. My grandkids are all straight A students and participate in sports, music and are very polite.

So, as far as I'm concerned, IQ is just an epiphany of realization that if I applied myself and give it my absolute best shot, I will succeed in anything I put my mind to doing. I glad my own kids didn't need to learn the hard way that the secret to a successful life isn't a high IQ, but rather a tenacious application to do your best.

Last edited:
the school counselor told me i was smart enough to be anything i want to be

but i am still leaning when i should hold my breath

i have met some folks clearly smarter than me ... does that make me wise ?

Back
Top Bottom