Join Early Retirement Today

I.Q.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I.Q.

Might be interesting:
If you've ever been tested here's where you may stand in relation to others.

http://http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx

Note that there's a difference between "smart" and "wise"...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I suspect I'm both wiser and less smart than I used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Might be interesting:
If you've ever been tested here's where you may stand in relation to others.

http://http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx

Note that there's a difference between "smart" and "wise"...

Old 03-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I was always as dumb as mud......but, approaching the 77th lap, I'm about to be overtaken.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I was always as dumb as mud......but, approaching the 77th lap, I'm about to be overtaken.
Lemme guess - you're built for comfort, not for speed?

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have no idea what my IQ is. But I know I’m very good at navigating through life using logic, common sense and situational awareness. DW is very book smart, was more successful at making money, but I’m better at investing it and identifying when decisions need to be made. She has a Master’s in Tax, I have an MBA, but I do the taxes. I guess we complement each other well.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always felt that IQ measures ones ability to do well on IQ tests, and not much else.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I've always felt that IQ measures ones ability to do well on IQ tests, and not much else.
Yeah, I've made it this far without knowing my IQ. I wonder that if I knew it I would have not made some of the stupid decisions I made over the years?
Old 03-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't even know IQ went as high as 202. Must be an indicator of where I stand in the rankings
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #9

I'm smart enough to know that I've met people who were smarter with no common sense, smarter with common sense, not as smart but with a lot of common sense, and not as smart with little common sense.

I'm smart enough to know that no matter how good you are at doing something, there's a very good chance that there are others that are better.

I'm smart enough to know there is a lot of things I'm not very smart about.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #10

I am a member of Mensa, but was smart enough to marry a woman with "street smarts".
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I am a member of Mensa, but was smart enough to marry a woman with "street smarts".
I also am a member of Mensa. For most of my life I have thought IQ is everything important and meaningful. If you are smart you win.....right?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #12

Now if only there were a free IQ test on the web somewhere. All the ones I've seen either charge a tidy sum or appear to be a scam to get your email address.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
Administrator

In my professional experience, the most successful lawyers are not always, or even mostly, the smartest ones.

As for me, never tested but assumed by most to be around room temperature.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #14

Growing up in Korea in 70's, everyone was forced to take IQ test at school. The scores were pretty public, especially, the ones at "genius" level. My teachers, friends knew my score (at genius level) before I did. But I didn't believe I was intelligent so much so that I took two more IQ tests later in life. All 3 scores were consistently at "genius" level. Yet, I never felt smart about myself. Perhaps, I am a good test taker. For me, IQ stands for inconsistently queer.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #15

If you took the SAT or GRE, the site in the OP will give you an estimate of what an IQ test would show.

How to estimate your IQ based on your GRE or SAT scores
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
In elementary school they did "flash cards" for math. I assumed I was terribly stupid, since I had to figure out each answer, while the rest of the class had all the answers memorized. I was always a second or two behind everyone else.

Then we got to high school. I was still used to figuring things out, while the rest of the class had finally reached the point where memorization wasn't enough. I ended up in a college-level pre-calculus class in high school.

So, no, I don't have much respect for the way we do testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I also am a member of Mensa. For most of my life I have thought IQ is everything important and meaningful. If you are smart you win.....right?
Yeah, right. Just look at our politicians, movie stars and sports figures.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:58 PM   #17

My sister was dating a guy who was a chess grandmaster, he was clever enough to loose a game to my father.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
If you took the SAT or GRE, the site in the OP will give you an estimate of what an IQ test would show.

How to estimate your IQ based on your GRE or SAT scores

I wonder whether this includes the effects of SAT prep programs that, while now almost ubiquitous, were pretty much unknown 40+ years ago when I took the test. According to the College Board, who administers the tests, 20 hours of test prep results in an average gain of 115 points on the SAT. Since this presumably doesn't cause a similar gain in the raw intelligence of the test taker one would think this might skew this IQ estimate pretty strongly.

While I do remember my SAT score (since I had to regurgitate it for college applications over several months) my GRE scores are long forgotten.

Guess I'll just never know if I'm smart or not.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:41 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

One of my first bosses pestered me to take the Mensa test and join the society. He was really insistent. I passed the test, but never really knew my "score," because the result was hand-written and I couldn't read the last number!

I went to a couple of meetings and was bored silly. Probably I wasn't smart enough to appreciate the other people's scintillating wit, but they seemed like stuck-up weirdos, and that's putting it kindly. And one of the women made a sexist remark that sticks with me to this day. She said, "You're too pretty to be in Mensa."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Old 03-23-2019, 03:53 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I graduated solidly in the middle of my class. My wife graduated third. Graduating college she was number one, I had a 2.2 GPA. I guess I married well that's for sure. My parents instilled commonsense and logical thinking along with the occasional smack in the head when I strayed off the mark. I was very good in sales and marketing, so made good money. I was never book smart, but could figure things out. I never took an IQ test, but surely would not do well, at this point it doesn't matter.

nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote