Ideas needed for part time income

I am just throwing this out as "food for thought." Penelope Trunk, in today's post, -- How to figure out what you should be doing with your life -- may provide some insight into getting paid for doing what you want to do. Yeah, she writes to thirty-somethings who are trying to make it in the workplace rather than those trying to avoid it but as she says (and I concur):

It's the grand democracy in the blogosphere that some of my favorite bloggers are in their early twenties. And some of the worst blogs are from people who are actually in positions of huge authority.

If you do read the article, make sure you also read some of the embedded links -- like "totally not fun" or "so I volunteered to do it for free," for instance.

No easy answer.

One set of neighbors throw great Thanksgiving/Christmas parties, so we'll help them out whenever they want knowing that we'll have lifetime invitations. It's usually minor electrical problems like a broken Christmas ornament or an appliance repair.

Another woman is raising three kids on her own. (I've met the ex-husband. We are not impressed.) I've shown her and the kids how to fix the easier stuff (unplugging & resetting the disposal) and I charge $25/hour for the rest. She also provides yummy baked goods so that $25/hour is highly negotiable. Better yet, when I was considering ACL reconstruction she gave me the inside scoop on a new hotshot orthopedic surgeon (she's affiliated with a local health insurer). Unfortunately her house has gone through all the easy projects and she's facing repainting, recarpeting, and attic reflective foil insulation. I think she values our advice but I'm not sure that we want to tackle something that big.

We take care of a shipmate's house/tenant, and she's extremely generous. It's almost to the point of embarrassment but we love the exotic (to us) Mainland foods she sends and we manage to cash her checks. We think she sleeps better knowing that she's paying us what we're worth and still coming out ahead of a professional management company. We almost never hear from her tenants so it's no problem.

Most of the other neighbors have asked for an hour or two of help and no one has tried to take advantage of me. We reciprocate pretty fairly/quickly and they're always very generous with holiday food.

I've turned down a couple repairs that I knew immediately were beyond my interest or my (realistic) skill level-- leaky water pipes inside the wall, mold, A/C repairs, roof replacements. After all these years on discussion boards I'm pretty much immune to appeals ("Sorry, but I can refer you to a good contractor") and baiting ("You say you know I can handle this?!? Well, I could probably figure it out on the third try after two weeks, but this is a job for a pro.") I think if I got one more phone call than I was happy to help with, I'd start responding more slowly and finding schedule conflicts.

Hasn't been a big problem yet. Most Hawaii residents are very conscientious about omiyage & obligations, and the jobs I've tackled have either been interesting/fun ("Always wanted to work on one o' them!") or good karma.

Now if you're referring to the phone calls I used to get from my father-in-law, that's a whole 'nother can of issues. Most of them had to be chalked up to my good karma and his bad...

To summarize: Will work for food. ;)

I volunteer for a kids class and it paid off at Christmas when I received several gift cards from local eateries--will teach for food is a good motto too.

No easy answer.

One set of neighbors throw great Thanksgiving/Christmas parties, so we'll help them out whenever they want knowing that we'll have lifetime invitations. It's usually minor electrical problems like a broken Christmas ornament or an appliance repair.

Another woman is raising three kids on her own. (I've met the ex-husband. We are not impressed.) I've shown her and the kids how to fix the easier stuff (unplugging & resetting the disposal) and I charge $25/hour for the rest. She also provides yummy baked goods so that $25/hour is highly negotiable. Better yet, when I was considering ACL reconstruction she gave me the inside scoop on a new hotshot orthopedic surgeon (she's affiliated with a local health insurer). Unfortunately her house has gone through all the easy projects and she's facing repainting, recarpeting, and attic reflective foil insulation. I think she values our advice but I'm not sure that we want to tackle something that big.

We take care of a shipmate's house/tenant, and she's extremely generous. It's almost to the point of embarrassment but we love the exotic (to us) Mainland foods she sends and we manage to cash her checks. We think she sleeps better knowing that she's paying us what we're worth and still coming out ahead of a professional management company. We almost never hear from her tenants so it's no problem.

Most of the other neighbors have asked for an hour or two of help and no one has tried to take advantage of me. We reciprocate pretty fairly/quickly and they're always very generous with holiday food.

I've turned down a couple repairs that I knew immediately were beyond my interest or my (realistic) skill level-- leaky water pipes inside the wall, mold, A/C repairs, roof replacements. After all these years on discussion boards I'm pretty much immune to appeals ("Sorry, but I can refer you to a good contractor") and baiting ("You say you know I can handle this?!? Well, I could probably figure it out on the third try after two weeks, but this is a job for a pro.") I think if I got one more phone call than I was happy to help with, I'd start responding more slowly and finding schedule conflicts.

Hasn't been a big problem yet. Most Hawaii residents are very conscientious about omiyage & obligations, and the jobs I've tackled have either been interesting/fun ("Always wanted to work on one o' them!") or good karma.

Now if you're referring to the phone calls I used to get from my father-in-law, that's a whole 'nother can of issues. Most of them had to be chalked up to my good karma and his bad...

I've been working toward "don't do more for people than they are willing to do for themselves". Some things are work, plain and simple - there's no magic to the repetitive motion in scraping paint or nailing roofing. Betcha in 80% of the times people have asked for my help that when i tell them to trim the bushes away from the fence that needs repair or whatever the urgency disappears and months later the bushes are still there and the fence still needs repair. Thing is, they stop asking because the reason the fence still needs repair is they haven't invested a little of their effort to begin with.

I do fixit stuff for the people i want to help - some old folk, some without skills but doing their best, some because i like them. A very few people i help because they have honor and i know if i call on them they will return worthwhile help. Few people have the combination of obligation - and skills! - to tempt me. If you don't need much it's hard to be tempted. Had to look up omiyage - while appreciation and gifts of appreciation are welcome they do not compel me.

Gave up fixing stuff (free or for food) for neighbors years ago, when the started stacking their broken VCRs, Stereos and other electronic crap outside my door with notes.

Beware of online adds for parttime or consulting work like the one above. This link leads to a UK company (IIB) that takes $20k from you in return for an accredidation (??) and some marketing advice. No thanks.

Good catch, TD, and good advice. Over the years, I had only surfed this site and looked at some of the ads.

I learned in my 20's that employment agencies that charge the applicant are a scam. I shoulda been more wary of how their methods have evolved in the internet age.

How about a part time receptionist at a spa/salon. You can work a few hours, meet a lot of people and get free services :)

How about a part time receptionist at a spa/salon. You can work a few hours, meet a lot of people and get free services :)

Sounds good but age discrimination comes into play here. There are lots of pretty young women who work these types of jobs.

An architect here in town told me that his office received about 150 applications for the receptionist position. But they had an architect position that had gone unfilled for about a year.

Back
Top Bottom