Identity Theft - Maybe

Eagle43

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Buddy of mine, a retired military officer, got pick-pocketed in New York.  They got his military ID card and one credit card.  The CC has been canceled.  But, I advised him to put on a credit freeze, because the military ID has his ss# and DOB.  He doesn't want to do it, because he fears the credit companies.

So: the question is:  Should he have done it?  Is Experian et al. safe?  I've used them, with no problems, but he could have a point. 

If he's lucky, the id stuff has been burned in city dump.  If not, well, I suspect the id thieves in Ny are pretty sophisticated.  This happened last week, and so far so good.  Comments?

Eagle43 said:
Buddy of mine, a retired military officer, got pick-pocketed in New York.  They got his military ID card and one credit card.  The CC has been canceled.  But, I advised him to put on a credit freeze, because the military ID has his ss# and DOB.  He doesn't want to do it, because he fears the credit companies.
So: the question is:  Should he have done it?  Is Experian et al. safe?  I've used them, with no problems, but he could have a point. 
If he's lucky, the id stuff has been burned in city dump.  If not, well, I suspect the id thieves in Ny are pretty sophisticated.  This happened last week, and so far so good.  Comments?
They work especially well when you're not expecting to have to get a new mortgage or a car loan or switching for a better credit-card deal. Otherwise you have to keep letting them know what you're doing... if you're even able to do it after you put the freeze on.

Another poster on this board recommended getting your annual free credit reports at four-month intervals by rotating among the three agencies. That'll at least give you a chance to figure out something's wrong before a bench warrant is sworn out for "your" arrest.

Your buddy's probably also put his SSN on dozens of fitness reports, had his DD214 recorded at the county registrar's to ensure he'd always be able to get a copy, had his SSN written down whenever he used his ID card to confirm his identity for a credit-card refund, written his SSN on checks that he cashed at his local exchange, and all the other ways that the govt recommends that we disclose our info!

Spouse and I got letters from the VA yesterday. R. James Nicholson is really really sorry for any inconvenience or concern this situation may cause, but the Dept of Veterans Affairs does not believe that it's necessary to cancel credit cards unless we detect suspicious activity.

Thanks a lot, R. James...

As I have posted in the past, I call one credit company and I have them issue a fraud alert that is good for 90 days. The company in turn notifies the other 2 credit companies. This forces a credit company to call my number to authorize any one trying to apply for credit. If you report a identify theft to the police, I believe they keep the fraud alert up for 7 (?) years.

A couple of ideas to avoid being pick pocketed.
1. clean out all the things you don't need from your wallet
2. keep you wallet in your front panse pocket.
3. seperate cash from wallet - keep cash in opposite pocket from wallet.

Jusy keep your wallet in your back pocket amd use that liitle button most pants have.
It can fall out of your side pocket more easily.

And don't carry anything too valuable outside of money and CC's.
How much can you really loose.

What vagabond said.

I was a victim of SSN / identity theft years ago ... Nigerian national ... arrested in Kansas City, MO.  I ended up dealing with the Phoenix police, LA County Sheriff's department, and even the U.S. Secret Service (they handle federal fraud cases, at that time at least) ... took over one year to get it all fixed.  A real PITA.

I carry 2 wallets which are really just business card wallets ( leather on outside with two plastic windows facing each other inside). One in back pocket with fold over button flap and the other in my backpack which is with me 24/7.

Both have a CC and a photo ID, and a single $20 bill. If one is stolen the other gets me home. Carry my folded cash in front pocket.

Back
Top Bottom