I'm doomed. My doorbell rang tonight

I've recently gone mostly gluten free, but I'm sure that all Girl Scout cookies meet that criteria

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Actually, there is a gluten-free cookie on the website that was linked up thread... Now you have NO excuse!

When DD and DS were away in college we would buy two boxes of everything from the first Girl Scout who came to the door so we could mail them to our kids in the dorm. It was so much fun to see the little girl's face light up when she heard our order. We would also order a couple of boxes from any subsequent salesscout (if a kid comes to the door selling anything, we buy it--it's not really about the product). I've never bought them from a booth where adults are helping or from an order form circulated by mom or dad at the office.

I hope we get someone selling them this year!

Oh no.. Thin Mints oh. I can't buy them this year, maybe just one little box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

A local business had a sign posted on the entry door -

NO SOLICITING ALLOWED
Unless it's Thin Mints

As the Trojans said, "Beware of Greeks bearing Thin Mints!" Or at least that's how it was recently translated....

Oh, yummy. Corn syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, corn syrup solids, palm kernel oil, whey, soy lecithin... how come I never find these ingredients in the cookie recipes that DH and I enjoy baking? I can't get over the cult following GS cookies have when they're as loaded with artificial ingredients and preservatives as any other junk food in the grocery store aisles.

Just say no. If you want to support the Girl Scouts, write 'em a check.

I try to watch what I eat but I also want to support the Girl Scouts. I just give them a donation.

We've loaded up on thin mints in past. We put them in the freezer and eat them frozen through out the year. Very tasty.

+1 Frozen thin mints are awesome. First thing we do is put the box in the freezer. Can't say they last all year though.

Muir

Any GS that could find their way to mi casa, would also qualify for a hiking, reptile study, and insect merit badge.

My Dad always said that good things never come from a doorbell ring. (People you know come to the back door)

Hate to think he was lying to me..........

They just better stay off my lawn!

Huh? Baking some now. Potato, olive oil, salt what is bad about that,:)

Just add a little palm kernel oil and sprinkle on some soy lecithin and you'll be fine!

When I was the age of the GS cookie sellers, I don't think anyone added that stuff to food. But they did serve green jello with all kinds of odd ingredients in it and called it salad.

DW's grandniece is in Girl Scouts. When sales started last year I knew it was gonna be bad when DW said "Don't take the car, we'll need the truck".:nonono:

I would kill for Thin Mints. Those cookies are SO good. I'd buy a box of Thin Mints. A bunch of them. A wheelbarrow full. .

Thin Mints are the best. Bring them on.

Just add a little palm kernel oil and sprinkle on some soy lecithin and you'll be fine!

I agree. Your comments about the other ingredients struck home. I've not been eating that way anymore. Maybe I'll pass on the GS cookies and make another of Grandma Opal's apple pies.

I LOVE cookies but also love my waistline so I have to exercise moderation. DH and I bake them for the church coffee hour so we don't have dozens in the house. Once you get used to homemade, the chemical aftertaste and the sometimes-greasy texture of the packaged version make them easy for me to turn down.

The local council only increased the price from $3.50 to $4/box. The first increase in 7 years so i'll get a box or 2[-]0[/-] of Thin Mints.

I bake my own cookies, but for me and I think for others, GS cookies were an integral part of childhood. It takes me back to being about 10 and reading a book under the covers with a flashlight late at night while munching on some GS cookies. Nothing like Thin Mints crumbs in the sheets to ID the guilty party...

I love to bake and have never been that impressed by GS cookies. I might donate some money but I won't be buying any.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth and they're not girl scout cookies but I'm hearing good things about the new Cinnamon Bun Oreo's.

But this caught my attention! Say what‽

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1453778014.107339.jpg

I couldn't resist. Plus the little girl at the door has the same name as my daughter so that deserved an extra box.

Years ago I drove through a blizzard with a box of samoas. I survived the samoas not so much .

Back
Top Bottom