Interesting Big Brother moment..

Think of the jobs if people were paid to actually look at any of those surveillance/security images on a regular basis. They might be helpful to document something after the fact if the activity can be pinpointed to a particular place and time, but otherwise?

Hilarious. So having pictures of the criminals has not helped solve the crimes and CCTV is to blame. Hmmm, and that's somehow an indictment of CCTV. Is it possible the police are doing nothing to actually try to solve the crime?

For the record, I am completely in favor of CCTV in all public places. But like most things in nature, creatures adapt. In Britain the advent of CCTV has meant an explosion in "hoodies" to hide your face from CCTV. So now some places are putting in bans on people wearing them in certain places.

The hooded top - the must-have fashion accessory for teenage boys - is being banned from shopping centres in the latest police crackdown on juvenile crime. Hats, including baseball caps, are also being prohibited.

The hooded top - the must-have fashion accessory for teenage boys - is being banned from shopping centres in the latest police crackdown on juvenile crime. Hats, including baseball caps, are also being prohibited.
Officers believe the hooded sweatshirt is routinely used by young shoplifters to disguise their identity on CCTV cameras. Just as banks ban people from wearing crash helmets on their premises, now the hooded top is being outlawed in high street shops.

The first scheme to ban the hoodie - as well as hats - is now up and running in Basildon, Essex, in a six-month trial that began in April. Other forces, including Hampshire and Devon and Cornwall, have plans to introduce similar initiatives. Shoplifting costs the retail industry more than £2bn a year.

For the record, I am completely in favor of CCTV in all public places. But like most things in nature, creatures adapt. In Britain the advent of CCTV has meant an explosion in "hoodies" to hide your face from CCTV. So now some places are putting in bans on people wearing them in certain places.

Isn't it amazing how many attempts the police will make to eliminate crime before resorting to arresting the criminal?

Perhaps closing all retail shops might help reduce crime?

Now I'm worried that if I take a bus in Seattle and get off at Lil Darlings on Westlake Ave., that I will start receiving mail in San Diego for women's lingerie (of the kinky kind).

"Erh, hold on honey, I can explain, the darn Orca card, NO, really it was the Orca card.."

Just tell her you were on your way down to Whole Foods to buy non-BST yogurt and you got confused.

Ha

Just tell her you were on your way down to Whole Foods to buy non-BST yogurt and you got confused.

Ha

After being here 3 days now, I have bought a hoodie based on Alan's revelation above and am hanging out on the corner of 3rd and Pike at the bus stop, selling crack in plain site of the coppers.

When they go to use CCTV to book me I should look very non-descript. Let's see, "old white man with plaid green pants, white shoes, a white belt and an oversized hoodie". Oh, but I did lower my pants to my knees and walk with my legs splayed to keep them up but somehow it was getting laughs so I decided to quit after my legs got nearly raw from the chafing.

Ah America, ain't it something to see...

After being here 3 days now, I have bought a hoodie based on Alan's revelation above and am hanging out on the corner of 3rd and Pike at the bus stop, selling crack in plain site of the coppers.

When they go to use CCTV to book me I should look very non-descript. Let's see, "old white man with plaid green pants, white shoes, a white belt and an oversized hoodie". Oh, but I did lower my pants to my knees and walk with my legs splayed to keep them up but somehow it was getting laughs so I decided to quit after my legs got nearly raw from the chafing.

Ah America, ain't it something to see...

Well, you should move up to 3rd and Pine and hang out in front of the McD's. Lots of laid off engineers in hoodies networking around there. :)

I'm on the corner now and trying to score a bootleg Orca card. Nobody seems to know what a 3-finger bag of Orcas is.

Between Pine and Pike on 3rd, the only drug I didn't get offered was Metamucil.

I'm on the corner now and trying to score a bootleg Orca card. Nobody seems to know what a 3-finger bag of Orcas is.

Between Pine and Pike on 3rd, the only drug I didn't get offered was Metamucil.

It's the Other Pike Place Market. (I'm shooting you a PM now.)

Ha

For the folks living in Seattle, I wish you would stop with the rain rumors, I barely saw a cloud. I suspect it's just like the chiggers and scorpions rumors in Texas and the hot weather. Made up to keep feriners out.

I did enjoy Seattle, just went down to Pike and got a ton of German sausages at a neat market. Wonder what security at the airport is gonna think. And I got a big crowd of German Shepards following me up the street to the Sheraton.

Now if I can just get on the Light Rail without using my card.

I read recently that on an average day in midtown Manhattan, people are recorded on CCTV cameras nearly 500 times.

Several years ago, DH represented a security company that provided very compact sophisticated CCTV cameras for corporate surveillance. The company had a catalog of their products that frankly freaked me out. Some of the cameras had very high quality lenses not much bigger than a pin head that could be hidden in places like fire sprinkler heads or fake screw holes in elevator panels, and DH had sample videos of some of these installations. I remember one camera that could read a license plate nearly a quarter mile away. (BTW, I was quietly very happy when DH concluded his work with this company.)

To this day, I am somewhat paranoid about who's watching me in public places on these kinds of devices. (And I must look like a real idiot on elevators, trying to figure out where the camera is!)

This investigation took a year. Most people (including me) wrongly concluded that family influence had allowed a spoiled kid to get off after killing two pedestrians. Then, a little over a month ago, the guy was arrested. Other related articles describe how the recreation of the cell phone usage proved the alibi’s were impossible.
Cellphone tracking leads to arrest in fatal hit-and-run in Florida

A Secret Service analysis of cellphone records documenting conversations between the car owner in the crash and a friend results in vehicular-homicide charges in Fort Lauderdale.

March 22, 2010|By Mike Clary and Jon Burstein

Reporting from Miami — To crack the case of a speeding Porsche that left two men dead, Fort Lauderdale police turned to a federal crime-fighting ally: the Secret Service.

The government agency that protects the president and zealously pursues counterfeiters played a role in the investigation by analyzing cellphone records for the car's owner and one of his friends, police records show.
The analysis helped lead to vehicular homicide charges against the Porsche's owner, Ryan LeVin, who is now in the Broward County Jail without bail.
What got the Secret Service involved? Neither the federal agency nor Fort Lauderdale police would say. The local head of the Secret Service declined to discuss how often his agency is asked to analyze such cellphone records.
"That's a sensitive investigative technique that we use," said Michael Fithen, special agent in charge of the Miami office. "The Secret Service tries to cooperate and assist all law enforcement agencies when that request is made of us that's for a variety of different investigative abilities."

The investigation of the Feb. 13, 2009, hit-and-run in Fort Lauderdale demonstrated again how cellphone owners, without realizing it, leave behind electronic trails of their whereabouts that can later be re-created by investigators.
Cellphone tracking leads to arrest in fatal hit-and-run in Florida - Los Angeles Times

Back
Top Bottom