International calls smartphone app

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Some recent changes to our cell phone plan now let us get smartphones with unlimited talk for about the same monthly cost we have now. I'd like to do away with our Vonage, but we have lots of int'l calls. I guess Skype is the big option here for a safe and reliable smartphone app for inexpensive calls. Anyone have any experience with this, or can suggest another option?

When we talk to hubby's relatives in Italy we skype... but we do it from our laptop.

Skype works great on my iPad. DW has it installed on her iPod Touch, and it seems to work well there as well.

When we talk to hubby's relatives in Italy we skype... but we do it from our laptop.

Well sure, it helps to see their hands while you talk.

We Skype frequently, but with other Skype users. Now I'm thinking about international calls to non-Skype numbers abroad. Skype offers this and their rates are low but I have no experience with their service levels and the SW seems a little buggy to me.

We Skype frequently, but with other Skype users. Now I'm thinking about international calls to non-Skype numbers abroad. Skype offers this and their rates are low but I have no experience with their service levels and the SW seems a little buggy to me.
We do this all the time and it works great. 2.3c/min to the UK.

When in the UK and we need to call US numbers we also use Skype which means local rates (1-800 numbers are free)

I've used LocalPhone to set up domestic numbers for overseas phones. Once set up, you can call the domestic number from your regular cell phone just like a domestic call. It forwards through to the international number immediately with good call quality. The LocalPhone charge is just a few cents/minute, depending on where in the world you're calling. This works if there are only a handful of international numbers you call. If you call 50 numbers, it's probably not worth the effort to set up.

Clark Howard recommended the Pingo ap on his radio show, for International calls on a cell phone. Pingo.com

Back
Top Bottom