iPad

We have our iPad and the ebooks is great. Personally I think you can say RIP Kindle. Personally I like the Apple technology where you turn the page with a flick of your finger. I find the font is really easy on the eye and it feels like you are reading a book, which I never really felt with a Kindle. Playing games is great on the iPad.

If I am travelling I would much prefer to take an iPad rather than a laptop which is overkill for what I would need. I would prefer to surf the net or read my emails on an iPad rather than the iPhone. I see room in my life for both an iPad and an iphone, but will probably forgo getting a laptop any time. Will stick with my Mac at home.

I thought this was hilarious (apologies if it's already been posted):

Attachments

• SHOULD-I-BUY-AN-IPAD.jpg
    SHOULD-I-BUY-AN-IPAD.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 63
The Kindle app. for iPad has also been released I believe. So Amazon has a bigger selection of eBooks now. Heard though that if you buy a book, it opens the web browser and you buy it that way, instead of within the app, as will be the case with iBooks, probably.

Amazon has said they will put in interactive and color features on their Kindle app. so in many ways, it's better than a Kindle reader. iBooks doesn't let you annotate, only bookmark words. Kindle supposedly lets you annotate.

Stanza is another iPhone app. which will supposedly be updated to iPad. I loaded a bunch of the Project Gutenberg classics but I haven't tried reading any of them yet.

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I'm really getting excited now. You all have given me even more ideas on how I can use an iPad (more than just surfing the web). I'm still gonna wait awhile though. I know when I bought my Kindle, about 2 weeks after I bought the Kindle 1 they came out with Kindle 2 and dropped the price of the 1.:blush:

There were iPod and iPhone knockoffs too but they never gained much traction except in some Asian countries.

There will be a lot of tablets, running Windows and Android. But you're probably better off buying from a big company which will support the product. So if not Apple, then see what Dell, HP and Microsoft come out with.

My main problem with the iPad is that it's too tied to Apple. There does not appear to be a USB port so there is no easy way to transfer music or other files to the device except through iTunes. Only the wifi and 3G models have a micro SD card tray and they will be the most expensive models. I have hundreds of tracks on my notebook computer that were all ripped from CDs I own; I refuse to go through iTunes for that music.

I have hundreds of tracks on my notebook computer that were all ripped from CDs I own; I refuse to go through iTunes for that music.
I'm probably going to regret this, but...

Do you just not like the iTunes interface or something?

iTunes is free, runs on both PC and Mac. and is DRM free (now, wasn't always). You can rip your CD collection, import it into iTunes, and then use iTunes to organize it with playlists and stuff. Sure, they want you to buy stuff at their store, but you don't have to.

Does anybody here run iTunes on a PC? Maybe it doesn't work very well on PCs. I don't know.

Why such strong feelings?

Does anybody here run iTunes on a PC? Maybe it doesn't work very well on PCs. I don't know.

I have iTunes on my laptop and it works perfectly. I have loaded my favourite CDs onto my laptop and synched them with my Blackberry. So I can now listen to my favourite music anywhere, for free. :)

I'm probably going to regret this, but...

Do you just not like the iTunes interface or something?

iTunes is free, runs on both PC and Mac. and is DRM free (now, wasn't always). You can rip your CD collection, import it into iTunes, and then use iTunes to organize it with playlists and stuff. Sure, they want you to buy stuff at their store, but you don't have to.

Why such strong feelings?

Thanks for the info, I have not kept up on iTunes. I had downloaded it when it first came out for the PC. I didn't like the DRM and had other software that did the job just as well so I uninstalled it and have pretty much ignored it since then. If it is DRM free that makes a big difference. I still don't like my files going through a server that I have no control of. I would trust it for ripped CD files but not for my documents. I spent many years working on an Air Force mission system and can be quite paranoid about the security of my files.

Which documents go through iTunes?

Do you mean MobileMe, which is an optional online storage service?

You should be able to run iTunes to sync devices without any Internet connection. Then it can't phone home.

Now on the PC, iTunes is a dog and some companies have written their own software to support syncing on iPods but I don't know if those products are still around or being updated.

Thanks for the info, I have not kept up on iTunes. I had downloaded it when it first came out for the PC. I didn't like the DRM and had other software that did the job just as well so I uninstalled it and have pretty much ignored it since then. If it is DRM free that makes a big difference. I still don't like my files going through a server that I have no control of. I would trust it for ripped CD files but not for my documents. I spent many years working on an Air Force mission system and can be quite paranoid about the security of my files.
When I first used iTunes I'm not even sure there was an iTunes store. I just used it to import my own CDs, label songs, organize playlists and download them to my iPod or play things on the computer. Never had to deal with DRM when it was music from my own CDs. It was years before I bought music via iTunes, mainly because I wanted higher resolution music which eventually appeared.

Of course, I have only used Macs at home, so I've never been worried about things being too "Apple centric" LOL! I trust Apple much more than I trust Microsoft with any of my files.

Audrey

Which documents go through iTunes?

Do you mean MobileMe, which is an optional online storage service?

You should be able to run iTunes to sync devices without any Internet connection. Then it can't phone home.

Now on the PC, iTunes is a dog and some companies have written their own software to support syncing on iPods but I don't know if those products are still around or being updated.

I don't have any Apple devices at all right now. I use my Blackberry Tour for an MP3 player and we don't have AT&T cell service where I live so no iPhone. My interest would be internet and the ability to carry other files without the bulk and short battery life of a laptop. So, unless there is a capability I don't know about the only way to get files from my laptop to an iPad would have to be through an internet upload/download since there is no USB on the iPad. I will freely admit my knowledge of Apple products is extremely limited and I could be mistaken about that. If I am please let me know. I really like the idea of the iPad, just don't know if it would be worth it to me. I would also like to be able to use an iPhone but, as I said, no AT&T service.

I don't have any Apple devices at all right now. I use my Blackberry for an MP3 player and we don't have AT&T cell service where I live so no iPhone. My interest would be internet and the ability to carry other files without the bulk and short battery life of a laptop. So, unless there is a capability I don't know about the only way to get files from my laptop to an iPad would have to be through an internet upload/download since there is no USB on the iPad. I will freely admit my knowledge of Apple products is extremely limited and I could be mistaken about that. If I am please let me know. I really like the idea of the iPad, just don't know if it would be worth it to me.
Well, there is a USB connection - just a different kind of connector on the iPad.

You don't need a USB connector on the iPad, because the iPad connects to your computer USB connector via its docking cable, just like my iPod Touch does. My iPod Touch does not have a USB connector, but I have a cable that has the iPod Touch dock interface on one end and a USB connector on the other. You don't go through the internet.

Now, you might have to go through iTunes to sync files to/from your computer to your iPad - I don't know about that.

I just looked at the tech specs - and one of the things that comes included with the iPad is the "Dock Connector to USB Cable". That's how you sync. Same as always.

Audrey

Thanks for the info, I have not kept up on iTunes. I had downloaded it when it first came out for the PC. I didn't like the DRM and had other software that did the job just as well so I uninstalled it and have pretty much ignored it since then. If it is DRM free that makes a big difference.

iTunes has *always* been DRM free. Many people get confused as they don't get the difference between the iTunes Music Program, and the iTunes Music Store (ITMS):

1) iTunes (the music player program that runs on your computer) has always been DRM free. You can load your own CDs or mp3 files into it, play them, make playlists, and all that stuff. No issues. It supports a pretty wide range of formats, as do iPods.

2) The iTunes MUSIC STORE originally sold music that had DRM. Apple only did this because the record labels demanded it. When there was talk of suits against Apple, Jobs wrote an open letter explaining this, and calling on the record labels to drop the DRM requirement (most of them did).

I'm not sure what you mean when you talk of your files going through a server? The music resides on your computer, and you choose which to have on your device at any time - they are just files, back them up in any way you see fit. I've transferred some of mine over to my Linux music player (RhythmBox) - they are just files.

-ERD50

Ive been trying my son in law's. I'm in large a technogeek family. Personally I only own 3 computers so I'm the deprived one in the family. I love the map function, but the touch keyboard is a little frustrating. Its heavier than you think and seems to approach the weight of the small Acer.

Ill keep playing

Well, there is a USB connection - just a different kind of connector on the iPad.

You don't need a USB connector on the iPad, because the iPad connects to your computer USB connector via its docking cable, just like my iPod Touch does. My iPod Touch does not have a USB connector, but I have a cable that has the iPod Touch dock interface on one end and a USB connector on the other. You don't go through the internet.

Now, you might have to go through iTunes to sync files to/from your computer to your iPad - I don't know about that.

Audrey

Excellent, as I said I am not up on Apple devices. With the info you supplied I will now seriously consider an iPad. In fact, I am headed for the nearest large town tomorrow and will see if Best Buy or Team Electronics has one I can look over.

I'm not sure I understand this. I have iTunes on my PC and use it to transfer music, photos, etc., to my iPod Touch. It works fine, no 3rd party applications needed.

Doesn't go through any server at Apple, it's all local.

Peter

I just looked on the Best Buy web page and it looks like living in an isolated area strikes again. The nearest Best Buy Apple store is 150 miles away; too far to drive just to look at an iPad.

I would also like to be able to use an iPhone but, as I said, no AT&T service.

Same here with no AT&T coverage. I never could understand why Apple chose AT&T -- coverage sucks compared to Verizon (once you get out of large cities). For that reason alone I have not even considered an iphone or ipad.

Back
Top Bottom