iPad

You need a data connection to make use of the included Maps app. because it's streaming the map data as you move. That data connection could be Wifi or 3G but out in the field, it's likely going to have to be 3G.

There are turn-by-turn GPS applications like TomTom and Garmin and Navigon but those cost about $50 per country and you have to install about 1 GB of maps data.

As for apps, they don't take up a lot of space (some go tens of megabytes) but they can take awhile to install so it may not be as convenient to add and remove apps.

Steve jobs doesn't care what consumers want. He makes the products that he wants to own and use. That's what makes apple such a great company with such great products. They don't make many compromises or put out marginal products that don't work as advertised because they build devices for steve to use.

IMHO, any company that 'does not care what consumers wants' is a company I want no part of. I don't disagree with your following statements, but come on! Do you really think Jobs does not care if he sells what he makes? From what I have read of Jobs and Woz, it was Woz that built what he wanted, and it was Jobs that was interested in selling it.

How come no one mentions what they do when the battery on Apple products? I looked it up, it'll cost you $106 to swap out your ipad w/a failing battery with a similiar one?

That's using Apple's offical service, and includes shipping both ways. What you'll actually get is a refurbished iPad with a new battery. If your iPsd has custom engraving on the back, use Apple's online replacement service, and they'll make sure the back of the refurbished unit is engraved the same way. Last time I checked the in-store replacements were not customizable. (No trained sharks with fricking lasers in the back room...)

Batteries for do-it-yourself swaps run about $29.95, but you'll get to keep all the dings and scratches. Oh, and look at those instructions before starting.

Are people happy giving up the content on their ipad for a replacment swap? I've never liked the policy that you can't just buy a replacement battery and change it yourself.

I've swapped a number of devices and never lost content. Here's how it works.

Each time you connect an iPod, iPhone, or iPad to it's computer, a backup copy of changes you've made on the device is done. If you have to replace a device, from failure, damage, theft, or trading it for one with a fresh battery, when the new device is connected the iTunes program will offer to restore it from the most recent backup. (You can choose older backups if you really want one.)

Note: I'm just going to provide information to folks. If someone happens to believe that Apple is >:D, iTunes is >:D, I am >:D, or Mr. Jobs is >:D, feel free to continue to believe that. I won't challenge your belief system. Hey, Charlie Sheen believes "Two and a Half Men" is coming back. Everybody needs to believe in something or other to anchor them in what passes for reality these days.

Note: I'm just going to provide information to folks. If someone happens to believe that Apple is >:D, iTunes is >:D, I am >:D, or Mr. Jobs is >:D, feel free to continue to believe that. I won't challenge your belief system. ...
:ROFLMAO:

Oh boy, heh-heh, now I personally feel that some of Apple's practices are rather 'consumer un-friendly' (non-swappable batteries, no SD cards for iPads/iPods, etc), but every time I look at their stock price and other financials, I gotta say - "WTHDIK?" !

And they're doing this w/o any monopoly power that I see. They are producing products that people will buy and they make a profit at it! What a business concept! :LOL:

-ERD50

:ROFLMAO:

Oh boy, heh-heh, now I personally feel that some of Apple's practices are rather 'consumer un-friendly' (non-swappable batteries, no SD cards for iPads/iPods, etc), but every time I look at their stock price and other financials, I gotta say - "WTHDIK?" !

And they're doing this w/o any monopoly power that I see. They are producing products that people will buy and they make a profit at it! What a business concept! :LOL:

-ERD50

I've never bought an Apple product and probably never will. Perhaps I'm not a typical consumer but I usually look for a non-hyped up product that has good value. Also, I don't need the latest and greatest the minute it comes out. For me personally, I've always found a substitute with the features I want at a lower price. I will say though that I think that Apple usually leads the market with new and innovative products that are usually pretty high quality....so I'm not bashing the product but for many people out there like me, there are many other better alternatives.

I wonder if Apple could do even better if they targeted consumers like me? (I'm guessing they've weighed the pros and cons of that and decided that the answer is No. They know they probably have enough early adopters as customers that will always pay for the new and better model.)

I originally bought my iPad for my business (wedding photography), because it's a compelling way to demo my photography portfolio to potential clients. However, after I bought it, I found I'm using it for much, much more.

It's replaced my desktop PC for virtually everything except actual photo retouching. I just leave it on the coffee table in our TV room. I use it to check my email, keep up with blogs, browse online forums (such as this one - I'm writing this from my iPad right now, with the wireless Bluetooth keyboard), watch TV/movies, listen to music, check the weather, read the newspapers, listen to podcasts, read books - it's incredible.

I find I'm never bored with my iPad around. It's so easy to just fill time with it. I know this is starting to sound like an Apple commercial, but it's true - it's remarkable how intuitive it is for so many of the things I would ordinarily use my computer for (and be tied to the desk).

It's seriously changed my routine.

I'm writing this from my iPad right now, with the wireless Bluetooth keyboard)

How are the iPad and keyboard arranged when you do this? Is the iPad propped up, so that it's like a laptop?

I have the Iphone and and an Apple MacBook which is a few years old but still in good working order. I see the Ipad as a possible replacement for my MacBook at some point.

I really like to travel light so the Iphone is good enough when I am away.

FreeAtLast said:
I have the Iphone and and an Apple MacBook which is a few years old but still in good working order. I see the Ipad as a possible replacement for my MacBook at some point.

I really like to travel light so the Iphone is good enough when I am away.

Remember, you still have to have a PC/Mac as the mothership, just like the iPhone. The PC/Mac doesn't have to go everywhere with you, but you must have one.

R

How are the iPad and keyboard arranged when you do this? Is the iPad propped up, so that it's like a laptop?

Yes, I have a case for the iPad that allows me to have it stand up in landscape orientation, at 3 different angles.

I won't be upgrading my iPad this time...yet...I don't think (never say never). I like the idea of the camera. Don't have a clue why I would need a gyro in an iPad. I absolutely love my iPad, but it's only 10 months old and is still doing just fine. I take it instead of the PC for most business trips, and I have an iPhone as well. Use the iPhone for quick "do it now" emails and the iPad in the evenings for things that need more care. Work PC is a Dell. Hate it. Personally have a MacBook Pro. Love it. Trying to get my IT dept to figure out how to get our proprietary systems to work either via an iPad app, or with a MacBook, in which case, I would happily foot the bill for a MacBook Air to carry when I needed proprietary systems. So far, no luck...

R

That's the point, they didn't email him, apparently, he has a habit of answering customer service complaints personally!

He does return these from time to time.

The important part of the story you're conveniently leaving out is that this was a college student who basically wanted Steve Jobs to do her assignment for her.

After the third time has asked her to stop bothering him.

http://gawker.com/#!5641211

How come no one mentions what they do when the battery on Apple products? I looked it up, it'll cost you $106 to swap out your ipad w/a failing battery with a similiar one? Are people happy giving up the content on their ipad for a replacment swap? I've never liked the policy that you can't just buy a replacement battery and change it yourself. I guess I've always resisted buying Apple products, although I own a few that I've gotten thru promos or won in contests.

Probably because almost nobody has had to replace their battery on their ipad. I'm still using my original iphone and the battery life is fine after 4 years.

One other coming goody for at-home use. As of iOS 4.3, coming out shortly, the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch should be able to use shared iTunes Libraries on a local network. In my case, that means the file server and DVR machine here, set to share it's iTunes Library, should be able to stream all it's content to our various gadgets around the house.

This should be interesting.
I can already do this with the current versions - and one key gadget is our stereo (via AppleTV). iOS 4.3 allows you to stream internet stuff I think.

Audrey

I want an iPad 2. I could really use the camera for shopping, and I wouldn't mind being able to do video conferencing either. AT&T has even said they'd honor my grandfathered data plan.

But I think I'm going to wait for iPad3.

Audrey

He does return these from time to time.

The important part of the story you're conveniently leaving out is that this was a college student who basically wanted Steve Jobs to do her assignment for her.

After the third time has asked her to stop bothering him.

Gawker — Today's gossip is tomorrow's news

I wasn't referring to this story at all. More to the point that he's done this with customer emails over the years. I'm not sure if this is just what they want people to believe (marketing ploy that the CEO will respond?), but he tends to be very short/terse with his responses. There's claims that he cherry picks the ones he wants to respond to.

I wasn't referring to this story at all. More to the point that he's done this with customer emails over the years. I'm not sure if this is just what they want people to believe (marketing ploy that the CEO will respond?), but he tends to be very short/terse with his responses. There's claims that he cherry picks the ones he wants to respond to.

I take it you don't converse with many c level executives? Getting more than 2 word replies is pretty rare.

Go try and e-mail the CEO of another Fortune 100 company and see how far you get.

Probably because almost nobody has had to replace their battery on their ipad. I'm still using my original iphone and the battery life is fine after 4 years.

Katsmeow posted (pg 38,post #741) about the battery constantly draining on the ipad. Just wondering if people considered the cost of battery replacement. You got a good battery if it's lasted 4 years. I've read a lot about the battery issues going all the way back to ipods, for the price I guess they just replaced them instead of getting the new batteries for the ipod. My itouch is about 2 years old, it definitely drains a lot faster than 6 months ago.

I suspect her experience is not the norm. Given that 3rd party reviewers reported 10hours battery life even with a 20% degradation it should still last 8hours which I think is quite good. Maybe there's a hardware issue or weak 3g signal that is draining the battery?

Do you know if other tablets offer user replaceable batteries (e.g., xoom, tab)? I never really looked into those but could see how this could make it difficult to keep the device thin.

Old convertible tablet PCs had removable batteries. But they were thick and heavy and still had poor battery life.

iPad is packed with as much battery as they could fit into the case. Probably not even an easy shape to remove.

I don't have the current iPad and plan to get the iPad2 when it becomes available. I plan to max out the memory, but am unsure on the 3g option. I am leaning against it because I think I would use it mostly at home, or somewhere with wifi. I figure if I ever want to use maps or something on the road, I'd have an iPhone by then (I don't now). Can you talk me into getting 3g, or shall I save the $ and skip it?

If you ever travel with the iPad, the 3G might be handy, especially overseas where you can get cheap 3G data in some countries.

Lot of hotels often charge $20 a day for Internet and they've throttled it down.

Then there are some apps. which will make use of the GPS to help you find things nearby. Or augmented reality apps which overlay info about what you're seeing.

Otherwise, if you are going to use it 90% or more at home, then the extra money probably isn't justified.

Back
Top Bottom