iPad

I personally have no interest in the device, but I'm a little surprised nobody has pointed out the pricing scam that Apple pulled with the Iphone. Remember? It came out at $599. Then something like 6 months later they dropped the price to $399.

Why people insist on calling this type of pricing a 'scam' is beyond me.
In tech, it is par for the course. Cutting edge technology comes out at a premium price. It is true with cameras, computers and TVs.

By all means, don't buy a product in the first 6 months. You are right, earlys adopters will end up paying the premium, and if you don't want to, feel free to wait till the price comes down. But there is no 'scam' involved in charging the price the market will support (especially for non-essentials).

There are dozens of Iphone look alikes out there. How long before Dell or Hp have their Tablet look alike?

I heard on the news this morning a blurb about HP's response to the iPad. Couldn't get any details so I am not sure if they are talking up their existing tablets, or have a new one coming out. Either way, competition is good for the customer:)

I believe the WIFI limitation is gone. You should be able to use VOIP over 3G now:

Apple backs VoIP calls over 3G networks for iPhone - Boston.com

I don't have an iPhone, so I can't try it personally, but what I've heard from others, it works.

Now the only problem is that you can't run 3rd party apps in the background. This means you have to always have a VOIP app loaded in order to receive calls. So if you check e-mail, web browse, you couldn't receive a call. If Apple eventually allowed 3rd party apps to run in the background, then you could use Skype/Google as your voice solution over 3G (no more voice plans!).

That would be sweet.

While it is true that AT&T has now allowed the use of VOIP over their 3G network, I find it interesting that Skype still hasn't updated their app to take advantage of this new development. Indeed, the Skype app still requires a wifi connection.

...you can convert video to work on the iPad using free software like Handbrake...

Wait, you have to convert video??!! You mean it can't play all kinds of formats and have a bunch of codecs built in like the freely downloadable VLC player on netbooks? Sounds like a hassle. It does look really pretty though. :D

Why people insist on calling this type of pricing a 'scam' is beyond me.
In tech, it is par for the course. Cutting edge technology comes out at a premium price. It is true with cameras, computers and TVs.
I tend to agree. "Scam" is too strong a word here. The swiftness and magnitude of the original iPhone price decrease was rare, but by no means unique or a "scam."

Frankly, anyone who is a long-time consumer of electronics knows that if they are determined to be on the cutting edge of owning a brand new product, they will also pay the "early adopter tax" and serve as beta testers to get the bugs out of the product so the rest of us can buy a cheaper and more reliable version later. :D

The iPad has a camera connectivity kit that lets you connect through USB or an SD card reader. But it's a big iPhone, not a laptop, so it's not designed to connect to every computer peripheral. In fact, the iPad itself is the peripheral that connects via USB to your computer. And as you sync this device to your main computer for data transfer etc., just like with the current products, so direct peripheral connectivity should not be a major issue.

Sure, we Apple product users pay some extra $$$ for the privilege of using Apple products! :D Great products, and they keep getting greater! They don't seem to have trouble selling their stuff.

So you have to buy a $30 set of 2 dongles and haul those around in a carrying case or bag if you want to plug in an SD card or a USB camera?? Not sure if the camera connectivity kit can connect a web cam at all. If so, we are talking an ipad, a dongle and a separate webcam just to receive a video chat or video call??!! Clunky if you ask me. Let me just hit "accept" next time someone vid chats me on my netbook! :D

Not saying that the ipad won't serve a niche. Just seems like a small one between the other more robust or more portable devices out there.

And knowing apple, this think will sell like crazy. And the $30 dongles and $70 keyboard and $30 charging station/dock and the eventual $100 web cam etc. Apple as a business seems to do very well by commanding a huge mark up for the technology products the offer. Not trying to argue against that.

While it is true that AT&T has now allowed the use of VOIP over their 3G network, I find it interesting that Skype still hasn't updated their app to take advantage of this new development. Indeed, the Skype app still requires a wifi connection.

I wasn't aware of that. I suppose it's a matter of time.

What about the google voice app?

It only supports H.264 and various MPEG4 formats I think.

It won't support the various Divx formats used to share (pirate) movies.

It can take a good while to convert these other formats to a format designed for the iPhone. So with the iPad's higher resolution, it would take longer. But you can queue up several conversions and go to sleep.

So you have to buy a $30 set of 2 dongles and haul those around in a carrying case or bag if you want to plug in an SD card or a USB camera?? Not sure if the camera connectivity kit can connect a web cam at all. If so, we are talking an ipad, a dongle and a separate webcam just to receive a video chat or video call??!! Clunky if you ask me. Let me just hit "accept" next time someone vid chats me on my netbook! :D

Not saying that the ipad won't serve a niche. Just seems like a small one between the other more robust or more portable devices out there.

And knowing apple, this think will sell like crazy. And the $30 dongles and $70 keyboard and $30 charging station/dock and the eventual $100 web cam etc. Apple as a business seems to do very well by commanding a huge mark up for the technology products the offer. Not trying to argue against that.

You do pay a premium for the hardware. But what about 3G internet access?

This is what appeals to me. At $30 unlimited, that's a deal. I'm not aware of anyone else offering unlimited 3G internet access at that price.

For my usage, if I wanted a netbook + unlimited internet or an iPad + unlimited internet, I'm not convinced the netbook comes out cheaper. I'm guessing it's probably a wash.

But I know that the usability, again for what I would use it for, would probably be better on the iPad vs. netbook. This is primarly web browsing and e-mail and I'm basing this on my usage of an iPod touch. My only frustration is that the screen is too small on that device, something that the iPad nicely solves.

Wait, you have to convert video??!! You mean it can't play all kinds of formats and have a bunch of codecs built in like the freely downloadable VLC player on netbooks? Sounds like a hassle. It does look really pretty though. :D

It natively supports H.264 and MPEG-4. I am not sure if this is only a little, or a lot of the formats typically used. If you do a lot of viewing of other formats, yes, I suppose that could be a hassle. I don't, so no issue for me:)

I wasn't aware of that. I suppose it's a matter of time.

What about the google voice app?

I haven't tried the Google Voice app (I didn't even know that Google Voice had an app and indeed I can't find it on itunes :confused:). Skype has had at least 4 months to make the switch to 3G and still nothing. I thought they would have jumped all over this new opportunity so I am starting to think it's not gonna happen.

Again, it is not designed to do everything a netbook does.
If it doesn't fit your needs, great, don't get one. I don't know many people that use video chat at all.
I like the idea of having 10 hours of battery life in a much smaller/lighter package than a netbook AND without extranious extra things which I don't use (such as the camera:)).

Not everyone is thrilled about the pricing of the 3G model:

iPad pricing for 3G models 'ridiculous,' says hardware guru

I wonder how much of the $130 premium AT&T gets.

I still think the price is reasonable, considering it's a new product.

The problem I see with the pricing is that it locks you into either an iPhone or an iPad. I don't see many people with an iPhone paying for another 3G data plan for the iPad.

What would have been nice is for you to use your iPhone 3G access with your iPad. This would encourage people with an iPhone to consider an iPad. Seems like they would sell more iPads with this model, but who knows if AT&T would go along with it.

It natively supports H.264 and MPEG-4. I am not sure if this is only a little, or a lot of the formats typically used. If you do a lot of viewing of other formats, yes, I suppose that could be a hassle. I don't, so no issue for me:)

I find that most popular videos formats (.avi, .mpeg, etc...) require conversion with a software like "Handbrake" in order to be compatible with the iPhone/iPod. The conversion process is easy but it can be time consuming. I have found that the only videos that do not require conversion are the ones you buy on itunes.

I wonder how much of the $130 premium AT&T gets.
This did cross my mind. According to the article, a good 3G chip costs about $7, so charging $130 for the feature seems obscene on its face. However, it seems that iPad users will get a price break on 3G services from AT&T, so I have to suspect that Apple and AT&T reached an agreement whereby AT&T would provide cut-rate monthly service for iPad users in exchange for an upfront "cut" of the sales of the 3G model.

That wouldn't really be surprising; time and time again it's been shown that all else being equal, consumers would prefer a one-time upfront cost and no monthly fees over no upfront cost with monthly fees. Consumers seem more sensitive to the monthly fee than to the upfront cost, even if they wind up being a "wash" over the expected lifetime of the unit.

I wouldn't want the hassle of having to ensure I encode any video files in the limited formats supported.

I don't like paying for 3G on my phone, paying for it again on an iPad (albeit reduced), and paying for cable data on my computer at home. Easily $170/m just for data. Over $2K per year (and not likely to go down long term).

When my MacBook dies, I'd consider the Wifi-only model, using my iPhone for when I really need info and am out of WIFI range. Probably use the iPad for casual browsing, books, and media. Let's hope that WiFI hotspots grow a lot.

I'll save heavier computing (which will get less and less) for my desktop.

Again, it is not designed to do everything a netbook does.
If it doesn't fit your needs, great, don't get one. I don't know many people that use video chat at all.
I like the idea of having 10 hours of battery life in a much smaller/lighter package than a netbook AND without extranious extra things which I don't use (such as the camera:)).

The size is nearly identical, except the ipad is 0.5 inches thick and the typical 10" netbook is right at an inch to 1.1". Ipads are lighter by about 40% vs a typical netbook. And plenty of 10" netbooks have 8+ hour nominal battery life (you just pay a little more vs an entry level $200 netbook).

The addition of the webcam probably adds a little cost, but virtually no weight (maybe a few grams?).

Definitely a different niche that the ipad fills. My take is a feature light product wrapped in the apple packaging with the pixie dust sprinkled on top. If it serves the purpose at the price you want, great!

Wish it had handwriting recognition, with the fancy multitouch screen and all -- even if it required a stylus for it.

Just like the Newton except that it would work.

Remember the 3G models have GPS as well and it's unlocked.

The micro SIM makes more sense now. First, they don't want people to use existing SIMs but they also don't want people to take the SIMs with iPad plans (especially if AT&T gets a kickback for the lower contract prices) and put it in other smart phones or netbooks, leeching on the deal that Apple made with AT&T and is trying to make with other carriers.

You do pay a premium for the hardware. But what about 3G internet access?

This is what appeals to me. At $30 unlimited, that's a deal. I'm not aware of anyone else offering unlimited 3G internet access at that price.

For my usage, if I wanted a netbook + unlimited internet or an iPad + unlimited internet, I'm not convinced the netbook comes out cheaper. I'm guessing it's probably a wash.

But I know that the usability, again for what I would use it for, would probably be better on the iPad vs. netbook. This is primarly web browsing and e-mail and I'm basing this on my usage of an iPod touch. My only frustration is that the screen is too small on that device, something that the iPad nicely solves.

It may end up being cheaper in the long run to go w/ the ipad and unlimited internet. However if $30 unlimited 3G is what AT&T can charge without subsidies, I bet we'll be seeing more providers and maybe even AT&T provide similar 3G service at similar rates for non ipad users (such as netbooks w/ built in 3G modems). Obviously there isn't too much subsidy going from apple to AT&T since the markup on the 3G enabled ipads is "only" $129.

Also, there is a relatively new service called Clear (from clearwire) that offers 4G connectivity at speeds 3-5x faster than 3G service. They will sell you a netbook with built in Clear 4G modem for $200 if you sign a 2 year contract at $30/month for 6 months, then $45/month thereafter. That still comes out to $159 cheaper after 2 years vs the very cheapest Ipad model w/ 3G wireless. The Clear 4G service is still limited in geographic area, but I read somewhere that you can use 3G on it too.

Well obviously, the iPad is not designed for videoconferencing or video chat. If it were, it would have a built-in video camera. Nothing keeps Apple from adding that functionality in the future, but that is not what it is targeted towards at the moment.

It is a large version iPod Touch with several additional capabilities such as reading eBooks and having some "office" type applications plus optional cheap cell data interconnectivity.

I don't know whether I would try to load photos directly from a camera so I don't think I'd ever use the camera connectivity kit. I'm more likely to use it as a photo/video display device and I would download the photos/videos from my computer.

I don't think I'd use the keyboard attachment either, because if I were doing a great deal of typing or sitting at a desk, I'd be using my laptop. I just need enough to do some emails, internet page typing, and the touchscreen keyboard is just fine for that. I hated trying to use the iPod Touch keypad.

Audrey

The problem I see with the pricing is that it locks you into either an iPhone or an iPad. I don't see many people with an iPhone paying for another 3G data plan for the iPad.
Yeah, I'm glad we waited so long to get an iPhone because all we really wanted was the cell data connectivity, and it was expensive and we didn't want to switch from Verizon who is our cell data/voice phone provider. The iPad is a much better solution for us, especially since you can turn on/off the data cell subscription on a monthly basis.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom