Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I think they'll come in 16, 32 and 64. Each step up is an extra $100 though. And 3G will cost another $129.

Google's Chrome Netbooks are going to have 0 GB hard drive. No hard drive at all! People will think it's crazy when they first come out, but "cloud computing" is the way things are moving.
Not even some local storage for caching?

How are people who travel overseas going to use them. Data roaming is not a viable option.

Are people going to have to collect 3G SIMs?

iPhone can still be used even if there's no data connection.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Not even some local storage for caching?

How are people who travel overseas going to use them. Data roaming is not a viable option.

Are people going to have to collect 3G SIMs?

iPhone can still be used even if there's no data connection.
They'll have some flash memory, but you won't be able to store pictures, documents, and stuff on the hard drive - Google Chrome OS: Ditch Your Hard Drives, the Future Is the Web | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The books, however, will not be compatible with Amazon.com Inc.'s Kindle or with the major alternative e-book system.
It was in the late 1700's that people realized that standardized interchangeable parts were a good idea. But humans seem to be unable (or unwilling for profit reasons) to understand this. As an example, here are just some of the different types of image files:

ImageFileTypes.jpg
Old 02-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sony's ereader and the B&N Nook both read the epub format of ebooks. The ipad also reads epub format. I don't see why this should be an issue.
In addition, there is already an app for the iPhone for both Kindle and Nook users.
The Kindle, on the other hand, is not capable of reading the epub format. If any reader is limiting options, it appears to be the Kindle, not the Nook, ipad or sony readers.

-edit-
Aha, it isn't so much that the author is claiming the ipad won't be using epub, it is their guess that apple will be using some form of copy protection that will make it incompatible with other readers.
While I see the concern for people that have other readers already, it really is speculation at this point.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It was in the late 1700's that people realized that standardized interchangeable parts were a good idea. But humans seem to be unable (or unwilling for profit reasons) to understand this. As an example, here are just some of the different types of image files:
Perhaps, but since jpg and pdf are used for almost everything, it doesn't really matter.

And a lot of those listed formats are internal formats for specific doc editing/creation applications that let them store their own specific data. But since these programs import and export several commonly used formats that also doesn't matter - output is easily shared.

Audrey
Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I just don't see the niche that the ipad would fill between the iphone and a netbook size device. But it's apple so they'll probably make billions on this. And there will undoubtedly be quick imitators that produce a superior quality product (in most regards) for much less money. But they won't be able to sell em like hotcakes a la apple.
I'm pretty sure they'll make billions on it. If they sell 1 iPad for every 10 iPods they'll make a profit of over $1 billion in the first year.

I used to not understand why people would switch to Apple. Then, I was finally convinced to buy an MacBook Pro -- not only does it exceed my expectations, I might never buy a Windows laptop again.

I know a bunch of Windows to Mac converts. I don't know a single Mac to Windows convert. There's definitely more too it than just marketing and hype.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hmmm - more developments. It looks like Amazon caved to that publisher (MacMillan) and agreed to the same terms as Apple. Now MacMillan will raise their ebook prices. They feel compelled to "protect" their hardcover book sales - they don't want those wonderful printed hardcover books to go the way of the dinosaur (hope springs eternal). Hmmmm - seems like delaying release of the ebook version would be a smarter approach. Whatever.

Whose move? Amazon and Macmillan vie for position | Jacket Copy | Los Angeles Times

AppleInsider | iPad debut ignites price war between Amazon and publisher Macmillan

Audrey
I have been watching this as I was considering buying a Kindle for the convenience. No need to search out, drag along and dispose of books. As it was, I thought the price for new titles was too high as you could not resell the book or even give them away. Now the maximum price will be $15.00 instead of $10.00, at least for Macmillan titles. I decided to forgo the Kindle for now and see how things play out.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Perhaps, but since jpg and pdf are used for almost everything, it doesn't really matter.
Who said you could rain on my rant?
Old 02-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know a bunch of Windows to Mac converts. I don't know a single Mac to Windows convert. There's definitely more too it than just marketing and hype.
I don't personally know anyone that has switch to/from windows or mac off hand. I guess I just don't keep up with my acquaintances OS habits.

I find it hard to believe that there aren't at least a few people I know that have switched from a $500-1200 mac laptop to a netbook or cheap laptop at half the price of the mac equivalent when looking to upgrade their system. When times get tough, people make choices. And for most people, they have grown accustomed to a Windows operating system at school or work. So the switch isn't really hard.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I used to not understand why people would switch to Apple. Then, I was finally convinced to buy an MacBook Pro -- not only does it exceed my expectations, I might never buy a Windows laptop again.

I didn't really switch I just decided that my first at home computer would be a MacBookPro partly to emphasize the difference between work and home and relevant here, the difference between work and retirement.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't personally know anyone that has switch to/from windows or mac off hand. I guess I just don't keep up with my acquaintances OS habits.
I work with Microsoft technologies so I tend to notice it when coworkers switch. I used to find it quite shocking and didn't get why they were such big Apple fans, but now I can see why.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that there aren't at least a few people I know that have switched from a $500-1200 mac laptop to a netbook or cheap laptop at half the price of the mac equivalent when looking to upgrade their system. When times get tough, people make choices. And for most people, they have grown accustomed to a Windows operating system at school or work. So the switch isn't really hard.
I think the PC industry has gotten so competitive that quality has taken a plunge. Two of my last three laptops have had power supply problems within 2 years.

Cheaper isn't always a better financial move and I think my MacBook Pro might actually save me money in the long run. Plus, it runs better and works better than the other laptops I've owned. If my Mac dies tomorrow, than maybe I'll change my mind...but the kool aid it comes with tastes really good
Old 02-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have been watching this as I was considering buying a Kindle for the convenience. No need to search out, drag along and dispose of books. As it was, I thought the price for new titles was too high as you could not resell the book or even give them away. Now the maximum price will be $15.00 instead of $10.00, at least for Macmillan titles. I decided to forgo the Kindle for now and see how things play out.
That's what has stopped me in my tracks. A brand new release paperback that lists MSRP for $7.99 you can go to Walmart and buy for 30% off - $5.97. The Kindle edition is $6.39, and I can't pass that along to someone else, or trade it in at a used bookstore for another used book.

Now I can see buying the ebook form of references that I might use over and over again - like how-to books and cookbooks and any instructional material. But for 1X or 2X reading? No.

Audrey
Old 02-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Think of the car analogy. People don't buy the cheapest car available, they buy what they really want or as close as they can reasonably afford. If it is something you are driving every day and using for certain functions you want something that you like reasonably well and feel good driving and enjoy using.

I'm not interested in wasting a lot of time messing around with a system that is not really well integrated and seamless across applications (this also means I limit who I will buy software from) and very fully functional right out of the box. I know a lot of PC and Mac owners and frankly, I have never met anyone who switched back to a PC after owning a Mac.

Audrey

P.S. Had a cherry red Lamborghini blast past me on the expressway access road today here is little ole McAllen TX. Wow! What, half million bucks?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Who said you could rain on my rant?
Ooops! Sorry about that!

Audrey
Old 02-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #175
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's what has stopped me in my tracks. A brand new release paperback that lists MSRP for $7.99 you can go to Walmart and buy for 30% off - $5.97. The Kindle edition is $6.39, and I can't pass that along to someone else, or trade it in at a used bookstore for another used book.
That could be an issue if you read bestsellers most of the time.

I find that there are a large number of free and almost free selections on the Kindle web site and I love diving in and trying them out. Classics are fun, too. So my Kindle is at least half filled with free stuff.

Latest one was Treasure Island which I read to the grandkids when we visit. They love it, and think my constant interjections to explain the English dialog is very entertaining.

I like Martha's point - if I could at least trade each download, maybe even just 3 times or so, it would be nice.

I am not sure if I would buy a kindle today until I checked out the iPad, but the very small size, easy-on-the-eyes display, weeks long battery life and built-in free air card do make for a pretty nice package.

I maintain that a kindle with a great browser would be awesome.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think the PC industry has gotten so competitive that quality has taken a plunge. Two of my last three laptops have had power supply problems within 2 years.

Cheaper isn't always a better financial move and I think my MacBook Pro might actually save me money in the long run. Plus, it runs better and works better than the other laptops I've owned. If my Mac dies tomorrow, than maybe I'll change my mind...but the kool aid it comes with tastes really good
I guess I view technology that I buy as essentially disposable. Whatever the purchase price is, within a few years the salvage value will only be 20-30% of what I paid when I bought the item new (or "new" refurbished). My buying strategy is usually to find a lower end tech item (ie not bleeding edge) that meets my needs, and plan on upgrading when it becomes obsolete or irreparably breaks.

So far that has allowed me to have fairly modern tech gear at bargain basement prices. I know I can repeat the cycle again after a few years of ownership and buy something that is 5-10x nicer or better for the same or lower cost.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I find that there are a large number of free and almost free selections on the Kindle web site and I love diving in and trying them out. Classics are fun, too. So my Kindle is at least half filled with free stuff.
Well, I do look forward to reading that stuff electronically, and I expect I will once I (eventually) get myself an iPad.

Audrey
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Now I can see buying the ebook form of references that I might use over and over again - like how-to books and cookbooks and any instructional material. But for 1X or 2X reading? No.

Audrey
I recently got a Sony eReader (for my birthday). I already had a bunch of books in pdf format on my pc, so the giving/lending it to friends issue isn't a problem for me. Am I to understand that if you buy a book on one of these (any brand) readers you can't save it on your pc? I can read mine (various formats, not just pdf) with a Sony Reader app on my PC as well as on the eReader. And once it's on my PC I can share with friends if I want. I haven't looked into it, but if there's not a hack yet to convert the proprietary formats to pdf there soon will be. I wouldn't share on the torrents or anything, but I do demand to own what I buy.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Well, those are the terms under which they sell you the book. Now, I suspect you could loan your PC to one of your friends so they could read your copy - that probably doesn't violate the terms of the agreement.

Audrey
Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I did pretty well with Graffiti, too.

I had two problems with it though: writing on the bottom of the screen while characters and the insertion point appeared above it (versus a touch screen) and also I found myself writing prescriptions in Graffiti once or twice. The pharmacists were confused.

Well glad to see there were at least 2 people who got the hang of it, lets see with the two (out a dozens I knew with Palm Pilot including myself) I guess that makes 4 for, who like the Graffiti system. At I wanted to grap a notepad and start writing for important stuff, but than I remember that my handwriting sucked also.