iPad

Goonie said:
+1

I've been debating whether or not to breakdown and buy an iPAD or not. I've been pretty satisfied with my iPhone for the last 2 years, but it's screen is just too small for some things and that annoys me.

Ehhhh...just what I need....another new toy! :facepalm:

My thoughts exactly. I'm always using my iPhone at home on WIFI like a mini computer, but the small screen gets old. But then I think, how much more time will I waste?

Last edited:
explanade said:
Extravagant!

So un-LBYM.

Ah, but I scrimped and saved my entire working life, so that I could splurge on some extravagances in my retirement!!!
So, granted, not 'below' my means, but 'within' my means! Besides, I had to find something to 'invest' my tax refund in! ;)

I got an email from Apple today, stating that they were having a problem processing my CC for my purchase. So I went to their website and signed into my account to make sure my CC info was correct and current....it was. So I called their toll-free number and talked to an American, English speaking, friendly rep to inquire about what the problem was. After apologizing to me 3 or 4 times because I had to call in and wait on hold, she said that it had finally processed OK earlier today, and hat Apple should have notified me accordingly but apparently didn't.

So after 2 or 3 more apologies, she said that due to my inconvenience in needing to call, and for being on hold for so long (less than 2 minutes!), she was crediting back to my CC account the amount & tax of the black leather iPAD Smart Cover that I had also ordered!!! So just for calling, I'm getting the $69 cover for free! Cool beans!!!:dance:

Immediately, within less than a minute, after ending that call, I got an email from my CC company that they were concerned about a possible fraudulent charge from Apple for a very small amount for another item that I had orderd at the same time as the iPAD. And that was the reason for the email from Apple in the first place, however my CC had already paid the amount BEFORE they notified me to approve or disapprove that charge.

So because of my CC company's ineptness and bad timing with email notificaions, Apple rewarded me with the $69 (+ tax) credit! Ya gotta love it when disorganization causes a plan to come together! :LOL:

I am thinking about buying the new ipad next week. Can I get it under my AT&T plan with my iphone (same data plan?). How does this work ?

I got an email from Apple today, stating that they were having a problem processing my CC for my purchase. So I went to their website and signed into my account to make sure my CC info was correct and current....it was. So I called their toll-free number and talked to an American, English speaking, friendly rep to inquire about what the problem was. After apologizing to me 3 or 4 times because I had to call in and wait on hold, she said that it had finally processed OK earlier today, and hat Apple should have notified me accordingly but apparently didn't.

So after 2 or 3 more apologies, she said that due to my inconvenience in needing to call, and for being on hold for so long (less than 2 minutes!), she was crediting back to my CC account the amount & tax of the black leather iPAD Smart Cover that I had also ordered!!! So just for calling, I'm getting the $69 cover for free! Cool beans!!!:dance:

Immediately, within less than a minute, after ending that call, I got an email from my CC company that they were concerned about a possible fraudulent charge from Apple for a very small amount for another item that I had orderd at the same time as the iPAD. And that was the reason for the email from Apple in the first place, however my CC had already paid the amount BEFORE they notified me to approve or disapprove that charge.

So because of my CC company's ineptness and bad timing with email notificaions, Apple rewarded me with the $69 (+ tax) credit! Ya gotta love it when disorganization causes a plan to come together! :LOL:

How cool! And good choice in getting the Smart cover. I got one too, but not leather. I like the fact that it shuts off the iPad simply by closing the cover.

I am thinking about buying the new ipad next week. Can I get it under my AT&T plan with my iphone (same data plan?). How does this work ?

Check with AT&T, but I believe you have to carry a separate data plan. I chose the wi-fi only version of the iPad so this isn't an issue for me.

You can buy access on a monthly basis, only as you need it. It's not a contract so you can buy it for a month, then not pay until months later and you buy for another month.

This new iPad has access to the fastest networks, called LTE but that means you could use up the data cap (varies depending on which one you buy) much quicker, in a matter of minutes if you're streaming a high definition movie. In some cases, the LTE may be faster than your home connection.

Alternatively, you can buy a hotspot sharing plan for additional fee on your iPhone contract, which will let you share the 3G data on your iPhone with the iPad.

Also, since you're not on contract, if you find that you have better coverage on Verizon, you could get the Verizon iPad. Again, you do not have to sign a contract, just buy access on an as-needed basis.

Goonie said:

Goonie, good for you! I used the smart cover on mine, well, right up until I cracked the screen. It is very convenient, but take it from me, it offers zero protection from drops!
My new Trident Kraken is large and cumbersome, but since I like taking mine around with me, I feel like it is worth it to prevent further damage.
You are going to love the new iPad, that's for sure!

Goonie, good for you! I used the smart cover on mine, well, right up until I cracked the screen. It is very convenient, but take it from me, it offers zero protection from drops!
My new Trident Kraken is large and cumbersome, but since I like taking mine around with me, I feel like it is worth it to prevent further damage.
You are going to love the new iPad, that's for sure!

Thanks for the heads-up, Sarah! I was wondering about that, and couldn't find any info pertaining to the protection factor that the Smart Cover does or doesn't offer. So with that in mind...and since I got that CC credit from Apple...I'm ordering an OtterBox for it too! I have the iPhone OtterBox and love it! It's pretty darn shock resistant and protects it from accidental droppings....even into the sink (oops)....onto hard surfaces (floors, driveways, etc.), and it protects the screen very well!!! Sure, it adds a little bulk to the thing, but if it saves getting damaged, it's well worth it to me! Because put plainly, I'm a klutz...give a nerf ball and I'll never drop it...give me a wine glass and it'll be in shards in minutes!!! :LOL:

My thoughts exactly. I'm always using my iPhone at home on WIFI like a mini computer, but the small screen gets old. But then I think, how much more time will I waste?
It's a tough choice to be sure. Before the iPhone, I used to use my iPod Touch wi-fi like a SmartPhone (near hotspots) and it was novel but the screen was too small to do many things well. And I had a full blown BlackBerry while working with all the Smart bells-n-whistles, it was very handy - while someone else was paying the $99/month for it.

Now I have an iPad, but I have a $15/month no contract phone (though it does voice, text & limited data slowly). The combination works very well for me. I couldn't bring myself to have the latest phone and the latest tablet either, I'm just too cheap I guess...

It's a tough choice to be sure. Before the iPhone, I used to use my iPod Touch wi-fi like a SmartPhone (near hotspots) and it was novel but the screen was too small to do many things well. And I had a full blown BlackBerry while working with all the Smart bells-n-whistles, it was very handy - while someone else was paying the $99/month for it.

Now I have an iPad, but I have a $15/month no contract phone (though it does voice, text & limited data slowly). The combination works very well for me. I couldn't bring myself to have the latest phone and the latest tablet either, I'm just too cheap I guess...

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad, so I shelled out the $$$ for those but the data plans were where I drew the line. I have an unlimited one for my iPhone but didn't want to pay a penny more for any other data plans. The wi-fi only iPad was just right for me. No data plan at all. Besides, I always have wifi because I only use it at home. It is too heavy for me to enjoy carrying in my purse.

Goonie said:
....So this evening I finally took the leap, and ordered a 64GB version in black setup for AT&T from Apple's online store. ............Supposed to be delivered on the 16th....key phrase there is "supposed to be". :LOL:

UPS delivered the new toy at 8:39 this morning! The driver said that he's assuming that this is the day the new iPADs were coming out, since that's what almost all the packages in his truck were!

I went to RadioShack and bought a screen protector (the plastic filmy thing to keep the screen from getting scratched in the day to day). The store manager even offered to put it on for me while we were yakkin' it up!

:)

USPS has delivered ours as well. We both have the 1 and use them constantly. Just love new toys

Yep, mine came this afternoon via Fedex. I am turning my iPad 1 into a digital photo frame.

I had the original iPad for a while and gave it to my father when I visited him last summer. After that I tried 3 tablets (Dell streak 7, Acer A100, Samsung Galaxy 7 plus) the Dell, and Acer went back to the store after few weeks, I still have the Samsung.
Now I have the new iPad, I have to say it's hard to not love it :) - The screen is incredible good, color and sharpness, everything is smooth and responsive. It is the most expensive tablet so far for me ($600 for 32G wifi) but I think I am worthed :) My eyes are just lit up, everytime I am using it.
I did try to break the Apple's grip, but I lost the battle :) - Now the Samsung will go to my mother (she probably hates me for it)
Oh well.... back to enjoy my new iPad.

DW bought the new iPad yesterday. Haven't really played with it much yet. She's trying to figure out how to get her iPhone apps on the iPad. She says that the Apple salesgirl said that she can copy the apps over without syncing through a computer. I haven't figured that one out. We have been traveling and I've been using my iPad 1 for everything on the road - maps, weather, surfing - it's great.

Bought the new iPad yesterday as a bday present for DW. Just the 16GB WiFi-only base model.

It's really true -- the screen resolution quality is just incredibly good.

Ronstar, your DW might be missing something. The sales guy at the Apple store gave me a card for a "free setup." You just make an appointment at the store and they will help you do all the setup things like email accounts, app installation, etc., for no charge.

I'm an old hand with Apple products, so the setup is simple for me, but that seems like a good deal for most people.

Question about photos and the new IPad HD

I'm considering buying the new IPad, would use it alot I know but especially will be good when I travel. I do take a lot of pictures with my camera, but can't figure out if they can be downloaded to the IPad.. I see posts referencing photo storage....is it just those photos taken with the IPad (must be awkward to use for that)...or how can photos be loaded from camera? Thanks!

I'm considering buying the new IPad, would use it alot I know but especially will be good when I travel. I do take a lot of pictures with my camera, but can't figure out if they can be downloaded to the IPad.. I see posts referencing photo storage....is it just those photos taken with the IPad (must be awkward to use for that)...or how can photos be loaded from camera? Thanks!

Photos can be loaded from cameras, either directly via a USB cable or via a SD card. This is the adapter you will need:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE

The photos you load on your iPad from your camera can be uploaded on iCloud where they can be retrieved from other devices. They can also be uploaded to Facebook or Flickr directly from the iPad, they can be emailed, etc...

Last edited:
braumeister said:
Bought the new iPad yesterday as a bday present for DW. Just the 16GB WiFi-only base model.

It's really true -- the screen resolution quality is just incredibly good.

Ronstar, your DW might be missing something. The sales guy at the Apple store gave me a card for a "free setup." You just make an appointment at the store and they will help you do all the setup things like email accounts, app installation, etc., for no charge.

I'm an old hand with Apple products, so the setup is simple for me, but that seems like a good deal for most people.

Thanks for the setup tip. I'm an old Apple user also, so I set up her email, but I haven't found out how to transfer apps without an iTunes sync. We're only a few miles from the Apple store, and DW is planning a trip back there today.

Thanks for the setup tip. I'm an old Apple user also, so I set up her email, but I haven't found out how to transfer apps without an iTunes sync. We're only a few miles from the Apple store, and DW is planning a trip back there today.

You can transfer apps using iCloud. Backup the iPhone to iCould. Then, on the iPad, choose restore from iCloud and select the iPhone backup.

FIREd said:
You can transfer apps using iCloud. Backup the iPhone to iCould. Then, on the iPad, choose restore from iCloud and select the iPhone backup.

Thanks - I started to do that on her phone last night, but stopped when it said that the estimated backup time was 6 hours. I just tried it again and her iPhone iCloud backup only took a few minutes. I had to reset the iPad, and then backed it up from her iPhone backup. Looks like it worked - all of her iPhone apps are now waking up on her iPad.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
IPad email problems...question for you

Got my first IPad...to use for travel. Its an IPad2. We synced our home computer email to it (at&t). Noticed that on IPad...messages disappear before my eyes, some emails go to 'trash', and when I send a picture...the receiver gets it upside down, although its correct in the email I sent. Have checked the online IPad instruction and a book I bought...can't find any info on this stuff. Anyone had problems...or have a link to info that might help. Thanks!:)

Back
Top Bottom