iPad

I think the PC industry has gotten so competitive that quality has taken a plunge. Two of my last three laptops have had power supply problems within 2 years.

Cheaper isn't always a better financial move and I think my MacBook Pro might actually save me money in the long run. Plus, it runs better and works better than the other laptops I've owned. If my Mac dies tomorrow, than maybe I'll change my mind...but the kool aid it comes with tastes really good ;)

I guess I view technology that I buy as essentially disposable. Whatever the purchase price is, within a few years the salvage value will only be 20-30% of what I paid when I bought the item new (or "new" refurbished). My buying strategy is usually to find a lower end tech item (ie not bleeding edge) that meets my needs, and plan on upgrading when it becomes obsolete or irreparably breaks.

So far that has allowed me to have fairly modern tech gear at bargain basement prices. I know I can repeat the cycle again after a few years of ownership and buy something that is 5-10x nicer or better for the same or lower cost.

I find that there are a large number of free and almost free selections on the Kindle web site and I love diving in and trying them out. Classics are fun, too. So my Kindle is at least half filled with free stuff.
Well, I do look forward to reading that stuff electronically, and I expect I will once I (eventually) get myself an iPad.

Audrey

That's what has stopped me in my tracks. A brand new release paperback that lists MSRP for $7.99 you can go to Walmart and buy for 30% off - $5.97. The Kindle edition is $6.39, and I can't pass that along to someone else, or trade it in at a used bookstore for another used book.

Now I can see buying the ebook form of references that I might use over and over again - like how-to books and cookbooks and any instructional material. But for 1X or 2X reading? No.

Audrey

I recently got a Sony eReader (for my birthday). I already had a bunch of books in pdf format on my pc, so the giving/lending it to friends issue isn't a problem for me. Am I to understand that if you buy a book on one of these (any brand) readers you can't save it on your pc? I can read mine (various formats, not just pdf) with a Sony Reader app on my PC as well as on the eReader. And once it's on my PC I can share with friends if I want. I haven't looked into it, but if there's not a hack yet to convert the proprietary formats to pdf there soon will be. I wouldn't share on the torrents or anything, but I do demand to own what I buy. :bat:

Well, those are the terms under which they sell you the book. Now, I suspect you could loan your PC to one of your friends so they could read your copy - that probably doesn't violate the terms of the agreement.

Audrey

I did pretty well with Graffiti, too.

I had two problems with it though: writing on the bottom of the screen while characters and the insertion point appeared above it (versus a touch screen) and also I found myself writing prescriptions in Graffiti once or twice. The pharmacists were confused.

Well glad to see there were at least 2 people who got the hang of it, lets see with the two (out a dozens I knew with Palm Pilot including myself) I guess that makes 4 for, who like the Graffiti system. At I wanted to grap a notepad and start writing for important stuff, but than I remember that my handwriting sucked also. :(

So, has anyone ordered their iPad yet? It seems to be selling briskly (about 400,000 pre-ordered or reserved already), even though no one has actually seen one in person!

I'm ready to! But I usually wait for the first furious flurry of Apple orders to die down before ordering a new gadget. Plus, we have to decide which model we really want.

I sure would have liked to have one with me a couple of weeks ago when we travelled out-of-town for a medical procedure. We didn't want to take our laptops, but took along my iPod so we would at least have something.

The hospital had free wifi in every room! Both DH and I just about went blind at all the squinting at that tiny screen for web-surfing. I often wished it were an iPad!

Audrey

Where did you hear 400k?

I think this is a product that a lot of people would want to see and try in person before buying.

I think if they reach a significant number, Apple would release a statement to help generate more hype.

They're said to be trying to cut some more content deals.

I think if you wait a month or so after they come out, there'll be a new release with more memory and a cheaper price :D

Isn't that what happened with the iphone?

They reduced the price going into the Holidays from $600 to $400, or about 5-6 months after first shipping.

Then the next model introduced a year later was $199.

They've indicated they'd adjust prices to boost sales if necessary but it's unlikely they will change the configurations until next year.

Yes, I have ordered the 3G model. Wasn't available at first, not sure when it became available but it is now on the online store:)
As for the price break, yes there will be one and/or improvements to the iPad. Although I doubt it will only be a few months, more likely 9-12 months.
Unlike with the iPhone, I am buying the small sized one simply because I know I will want to upgrade;)

400K is an astounding number.

It's niche seems small to me. However, if those 400K numbers are true I might have to change my tune.

I believe the iPad is going to be a great product, but I fear that sales might disappoint the market --- just because there has been so much hype. Even the wildly successful iPod took a while to catch on and start selling in huge numbers. Mr. Market might just have a snit if the iPad doesn't sell a zillion the first weekend.

They haven't said it in so many words but they've hinted in a meeting with Wall Street analysts that they would do whatever it takes if sales fall short of their expectations.

Remember that the original iPhone debuted at $500 and $600 in June/July 2007.

But right before the Xmas shopping season, they dropped it to $400 for the 8 GB SKU. That alienated some early buyers who had paid up to $600 a few months before so Apple had to issue $100 gift certificates to those early buyers.

So who knows, by fall/winter, they may take an aggressive pricing action, especially if consumer spending doesn't pick up.

I can barely wait to get my hands on an iPad!

The reviews have been terrific - especially of the user interface. I think the huge technological breakthrough is going to be that this is a mouse less device (and successfully so). IMO this is going to be a incredibly popular device - especially among the not-so-techie crowd.

I'm waiting because the 3G versions aren't shipping until late April anyhow.

But now that I've had a while to think about it, I've doubled my potential uses for it, and I really want one! I would mainly use my laptop for working on photo/writing/video projects and dealing with finances. Everything else - web browsing, email, doc reading - will be done with the iPad.

If Apple had < 1 week availability, I would order one today!

Audrey

I think if they reach a significant number, Apple would release a statement to help generate more hype.

They're said to be trying to cut some more content deals.

Apple never release any statements about their products. They are the most secretive company out there. By saying nothing, they get a lot of free marketing based on hype.

But now that I've had a while to think about it, I've doubled my potential uses for it, and I really want one! I would mainly use my laptop for working on photo/writing/video projects and dealing with finances. Everything else - web browsing, email, doc reading - will be done with the iPad.

I haven't used them yet but there are a lot of apps. from banks and other financial institutions which should let you do electronic banking through the iPod/iPad.

Hopefully these use the same SSL security as secure web pages used by the banks sites.

Numbers spreadsheet app. will be available for the iPod too.

We are getting one, to me I will be travelling with this in future, I won't be bothering getting a laptop.
This was my first motivation. I had to take some out-of-town medical trips over the past month and I took my iPod Touch because I didn't want to deal with the laptop. I could web-surf (tiny!!!!), but I couldn't check my email.

I really, really needed the iPad!!!!!

Audrey

I haven't used them yet but there are a lot of apps. from banks and other financial institutions which should let you do electronic banking through the iPod/iPad.

Hopefully these use the same SSL security as secure web pages used by the banks sites.

Numbers spreadsheet app. will be available for the iPod too.
I don't WANT to do financial stuff with the iPad. OK - I probably will interact with banking web sites, but no downloading of anything sensitive.

On my laptop, I have Quicken, tax spreadsheets, financial planning docs. These will stay on my laptop. Don't want this stuff on the iPad.

The iPad will be very mobile with me. I'll probably be leaving the house often with it - local errands as well as longer travel. I have to anticipate losing it or it getting stolen, and for that reason I don't want any sensitive data on it. So there will be a deliberate "wall" between the data on my laptop and the data on my iPad.

I don't plan on getting the iWorks (which includes spreadsheet) for the iPad. This is "work" that I do on the laptop.

Audrey

I admit to wildly underestimating the demand for the iPad. I really thought that it was going to be a niche product.

Oy vey. There is a reason that I am IndependentlyPoor and not IndependentlyWealthy.

Back
Top Bottom