iPad

Is anyone planning to use an iPad for genealogy? I occasionally go stalking the elusive ancestors at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, and plan to do this more often after retirement. In the past, I've taken my laptop, but it gets awfully heavy to carry around. I did a quick google and there are some genealogy-related apps already. If you have one of these, I'd sure like to hear a review. :)

It has been a while since there was a post here, and I thought I would ask for an update from those IPad owners. There is about to be a whole bunch of Android Tablets coming out in the next couple of months. What are your thoughts on those. I have an android phone. It does everything I wish for. However, I would like a bigger screen. I read my morning paper online with it. The 7 inch screen looks like a great compromise. Also, those that got the 3g model. How much do you use is. Being retired, I am around my wifi 90% of the time. I just don't really see the need.

Sounds like Android isn't quite ready for tablets until their 3.0 version, called Gingerbreak.

Some manufacturer is delaying their Android tablet until 3.0.

Yeah it's interesting nobody else is coming out with a 10-inch or greater tablet. In fact, there are rumors Apple will put out a 7-inch one too.

Certainly easier to carry but still not pocketable. Maybe it's more direct competition for Kindle though.

I am quite happy with the size of iPad. I hope we will see some competion in the 10" size range.
I use the 3G aspect a minority of the time. But when I do it is extremely useful. I have my entire library when I am waiting at appointments, navigation, travel info, soon to have tv and of course everything in Itunes.
Basically I would buy one again if I didn't already have one.

I got an Ipad 3G a few weeks ago and I love it. I'm on 3G only about 10% of the time so far. I'll probably cancel the 3G for several months if I foresee no upcoming need for 3G.

Screen size is just right.

I would buy an Ipad over new competitors because of the apps available

I've had my iPad for about 3 months. I mostly use it for web-browsing, watching shows/movies and playing games. I got the 3G version, but only activated it for one month when we were on vacation. It was way cheaper than using the hotel's Wifi, and worked flawlessly. I turn it off when we're at home, since I have Wifi at the house, and I don't take the iPad when I'm out and about.

I've tried it as a book reader, and frankly, I'm not that impressed. Yes, the print looks good, but the screen is highly reflective, which doesn't work well in sunlight, and the iPad is too heavy to conveniently hold up with one hand for any length of time (as when lying in bed).

It's a lifesaver when traveling with small kids, because we could load movies, tv shows and games onto it (many of them free), and it kept the kids entertained while flying.

All in all, I like it, and would buy it again, but it isn't yet the perfect device. I'm glad to have the 3G option, since it's painless to sign up for a month of service if I'll need it, and then discontinue the service when I don't.

Interesting comment on apps. It may be I don't know what I am missing, but the Android market seems to be reasonably well stocked. What specific apps do you use that are not available on Android? I ask that to see what I am missing not to start a war like the Mac PC battles. I have heard comments on the number of apps available for the two, and often it boils down to 'How many calendar apps do you need!' My son and DIL have IPhones, but he is thinking of going to an Android phone because of the control Apple holds over ITunes.

Review: First look at the new Samsung Galaxy Tab - The Globe and Mail

Here's some competition from Samsung, compatible with Android. Apparently it will not be able to be used as a phone in the US.

It seems that we have not yet reached the stage of universal compatibility. If you're an Apple person, you will naturally tend to go for the iPad; if you are an Android, maybe the Samsung is for you. As a Blackberry user, I am waiting for the Playbook.

The iPad has been really great for traveling and shopping. I recently took it to a meeting with an artist of wall sconces. I was able to show him photos of my courtyard area so he could help us choose a sconce best suited for our architecture. I also had his web site up with my favorite designs of his. And I took notes. And when he sent me the email receipt, I was able to check my mail - second try, the first time he has mis-entered my email.

Meanwhile, being able to web browse in the car and look ahead while on road trips or shopping has been great. It's also great for car navigation with the GPS and the maps app.

I also have started watching a long of videos from youtube on it.

I use it in the kitchen quite a bit to show my recipes while cooking. It props right up against the counter backsplash.

Audrey

I'm still loving my iPad 3G. I'm on the $15/250MB plan, and I just leave it on, since I am in the US almost every month for one reason or another. For example, we went to Hawaii in Sept to take the DD back to school. WiFi (or wired) access in the hotel was (if I remember right) $25 per day. We were there 8 days. When I am on vacation, I still have to be available whenever, and I get at least 100 work related emails per day even when on vacation. Some can be dealt with via the iPhone. The more complex issues require true typing ability. So, I could have brought my work PC and paid $200 for the privilege, or I could spend less than that on the 3G for a whole year. Pretty simple answer for me. When we move back, I may upgrade to a larger data plan, but for now, this is plenty.

I have all my magazine subs on it now, I buy a book on it before most flights (anti-glare screen cover helps), the Apple software for word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations works fine for work related docs that I need to read for work (really do need a PC if you plan to do heavy work in those formats, but reading is no problem). All of this has helped me reduce the weight of my briefcase (for travel) by probably 6-8 pounds, as it all fits in the iPad, and the charger is tiny compared to the PC charger.

Would I change to Android now? Probably not right away. I still have a couple years of use left on the iPad, I believe, so I don't intend to change. A new and improved version will be out by then anyway...and I have all these apps that won't work on Android...

R

Thing about the Android tablets announced so far is that they're not cheaper, often cost more.

The Galaxy is more from Verizon without contract while Sprint is charging $399 with 2-year contract.

This is for something with smaller screen and a version of Android which isn't optimized for tablets and isn't expected to be until 3.0.

It does have the cameras though.

The Playbook sounds good on paper but they have no price yet. Recently they had to show it actually runs software because the initial announcement didn't show it working. But RIMM has a big uphill battle getting developer support, especially now that Apple has passed it for marketshare, along with having a huge lead in apps.

After wanting for so long, I finally bought an iPad last week (32gb, 3g)

After 5 days of ownership, I returned it.

Found that with an iPhone and a macbook I didnn't have any real uses for it. Because it couldn't run java sites I couldn't take it on trips in place of my laptop.

It did make me appreciate my iPhone 4 more however

Our greatest use of the Ipad is researching whilst watching TV. For example, DH was watching Braveheart the other week. Edward Longshanks was part of the movie and we knew nothing of the history. DH pulled out the Ipad and we were able to educate ourselves on who he was and why he had the name all in the blink of an eye without moving from the couch. If we didn't have the Ipad we probably never would have looked.

Our greatest use of the Ipad is researching whilst watching TV. For example, DH was watching Braveheart the other week. Edward Longshanks was part of the movie and we knew nothing of the history. DH pulled out the Ipad and we were able to educate ourselves on who he was and why he had the name all in the blink of an eye without moving from the couch. If we didn't have the Ipad we probably never would have looked.
I'm usually surfing the web while watching TV. With my laptop. You must not have laptops at home LOL! That would make the iPad really handy at home.

Audrey

Interesting comment on apps. It may be I don't know what I am missing, but the Android market seems to be reasonably well stocked. What specific apps do you use that are not available on Android? I ask that to see what I am missing not to start a war like the Mac PC battles. I have heard comments on the number of apps available for the two, and often it boils down to 'How many calendar apps do you need!' My son and DIL have IPhones, but he is thinking of going to an Android phone because of the control Apple holds over ITunes.

I know this is kind of an old post, but I don't see it addressed, so...

Netflix and Dish Network apps, to name two that are sorely missed on Android. Android currently has ~100,000 apps, to IOS ~300,000 apps. Some of those would be really nice to have on Android.

For the record, I carry an Android and an IOS device everywhere I go, and neither one can replace the other. IOS had a massive lead in app development, so there are many apps only available on IOS. I find IOS more refined and stable that Android as well, due largely to the tight control Apple maintains over it's developers. However, the iPad specifically lacks multi-tasking, widgets, and flash. Multitasking will be addressed when the iPad gets the update to IOS 4.0 or later. I've not heard of widget support or Flash support coming any time soon to any IOS device.

To sum it up:

Advantages of Android:
Wide selection of devices and carriers, Flash, Multitasking, widgets

Advantages of iPad:
More refined and stable, better app selection.

Our greatest use of the Ipad is researching whilst watching TV.

I use the iPod touch (& imdb.com) a lot when watching movies to answer the question "Where have we seen that actor before?" I then look up the "goofs" for the movie, and watch for things like the camera man hiding behind the car.

Or things like this:

Continuity: Before he gets out of Mr. Acuña's room, Cugat takes from him a sheet of paper and holds it unfolded. When he passes the door out the paper is folded.

But it does mean that I'm turning into one of those multi-taskers who is only giving the movie part of my attention.

RockMonkey,
Netflix available on Android, Dish Network 'coming soon'. I just 'rooted' my android phone. Simple, and quick. There was an app for it. I don't ever see Apple allowing this sort of hack on Itunes. I agree with you advantages/disadvantages, however, I don't find the app advantage for Apple that great. Your Netflix for example. It is available, but I did not install it. I have come across a couple of apps I might want, but nothing I would trade phones for.

For me it is going to come down to price. If the Android Tablets are about the same price as the Ipad, then I think the Ipad gets the nod. If they are significantly cheaper then it will be an android tablet.

RockMonkey,
Netflix available on Android, Dish Network 'coming soon'. I just 'rooted' my android phone. Simple, and quick. There was an app for it. I don't ever see Apple allowing this sort of hack on Itunes. I agree with you advantages/disadvantages, however, I don't find the app advantage for Apple that great. Your Netflix for example. It is available, but I did not install it. I have come across a couple of apps I might want, but nothing I would trade phones for.

For me it is going to come down to price. If the Android Tablets are about the same price as the Ipad, then I think the Ipad gets the nod. If they are significantly cheaper then it will be an android tablet.

There are many 3rd party Netflix Queue managers in the Android Marketplace, but no official Netflix app that allows you to actually stream movies like the one on IOS does. At least not that I can find.

Actually, some Android phone makers are trying to prevent rooting. And carriers are putting on their stuff, like Verizon VCast stuff, on Android phones.

So far, the Android tablets are about the same in price, with the 7-inch screen. But they do have webcams. Battery life doesn't seem to be up to par though.

I finally saw the ipad in person for the first time ever today. Some young buck trying to type away on it during a big business meeting held in a large auditorium. Needless to say, these things aren't quite sweeping the business community by storm (from my point of view).

I needed to while away a couple of hours today, so I went to the Apple store to see if they had any of their seminars this afternoon. Lucky me, they had an Ipad startup class so I got to see the gadget put through its paces and even play with it a little. I even looked up E-R on it to check for new posts. I think the iPad really cool and I want one!!! (But I'm not going to buy it yet. Must......delay......gratification.) I googled "wifi in Aberdeen WA" and discovered that there's only one wifi hotspot in the whole town, so a wifi only model probably wouldn't be much use there. The hotspot is in a little restaurant, so who knows if it will even still be there by the time I arrive? Maybe by then there will be one in the library. After just a one hour overview I still don't know whether I could use this device as sort of a wireless hub. At the moment I don't have a cell phone or cable TV and I'm on dial-up internet. There's already a discussion earlier in the thread about whether you can use skype or similar to make phone calls on the iPad. I know you can download movies and watch them on the iPad, but if there's a movie in your iPad and you plug the tablet into a desktop computer, can you then watch the movie on the larger screen? And likewise with audiobooks, podcasts etc? I am trying to figure out if I could get by with just this one device for computing on the hoof including an occasional phone call via skype, and to access the internet at high speed, including the occasional big file like downloading a movie, without having to have a contract for cell phone and for broadband internet, especially since I don't know if I can get the latter without also paying for cable TV, which I don't want.

You may be able to get broadband without subscribing to cable TV. You may be able to get DSL or even if you don't subscribe to cable TV, a provider like Comcast will still sell you cable modem service for a higher monthly price, like aroumd $60 a month.

You really need broadband to be able to download movies with any kind of decent picture quality. You also need it for the iPad, to download system updates and some apps. which will take forever on dial-up.

THe 3G version of the iPad lets you buy month to month 3G service for $15 or $25 for 30 days of service. You can buy 30 days of service and then decide not to buy it until say 6 weeks later. But 3G service is slower than home broadband and there's a limit to how much data you can download and upload (though home broadband service sometimes have caps as well but they're usually much higher).

Depending on which service you download the movie from, you can watch on the bigger screen of the computer. And if your computer has the right kind of output ports, you may be able to hook it to a big-screen HDTV and watch movies there.

The iPad could also play back movies but after transferring movies from a computer to the iPad. You can't directly download movies to the iPad because of the 3G service limits I mentioned above.

So you pretty much need home broadband to really take advantage of the iPad.

Maybe some of your neighbors failed to put a password on their Wifi and you could use theirs but that's really not a neighborly thing to do. Plus it may be illegal in certain countries or jurisdictions.

So if you had home broadband, you could set up a Wifi network in your home and unless it's a real big home, you can use the iPad anywhere in the house, including possibly the porch or the patio in the backyard, etc.

Oh and one thing, there is expected to be a new iPad model by April. One of the new features is expected to be at least one camera to allow you to use FaceTime, which is a way to videoconference. I believe the Skype app. for iPhone and iPad also lets you video chat too.

So you may want to wait.

Back
Top Bottom