iPhone X

Normally, I don't buy service plans on anything electronic or even a car. But, with the iPhone 10, because of reports that it is very vulnerable to drop damage, I have heard some consumer activists recommend that they buy the Apple Care plan.

Me? Even though I own Apple products and like them, $1000+ for a [-]phone[/-] hand-held computer is a lot to swallow. This time the Apple Tax may just be to big for me.

Last edited:
Normally, I don't buy service plans on anything electronic or even a car. But, with the iPhone 10, because of reports that it is very vulnerable to drop damage, I have heard some consumer activists recommend that they buy the Apple Car plan.

Me? Even though I own Apple products and like them, $1000+ for a [-]phone[/-] hand-held computer is a lot to swallow. This time the Apple Tax may just be to big for me.
It was for me. I have had iPhones and Verizon for around 10 years, but this year I needed a new iPhone, and the cost inspired me to switch to a free LG phone on Cricket. For me, this was a good decision because it makes me very happy.

Not saying that anyone else should do the same since everyone is different.

My Apple iPad Air 2 got dropped (oops) and had terminal structural damage making it unusable. So, I went back to my old iPad 2.

All I do on it is do jigsaw puzzles so I didn't see any sense in buying a new Air 2 just for that. I need to find a really, really good jigsaw puzzle program for Windows 10 and then when my old iPad breaks I can ditch iPads, also.

Last edited:
Interesting article about the Face ID method of unlocking! Apparently it wasn't too tough for hackers to overcome.

https://www.wired.com/story/hackers-say-broke-face-id-security/

But really, to me this would not be a big deal if I had this phone. I never use my phone to log into anything or do any financial or other transactions, so hackers couldn't do anything but make phone calls.

from the article

The researchers say they used a handheld scanner that required about five minutes of manually scanning their test subject's face. That puts their spoofing method in the realm of highly targeted espionage, rather than the sort of run-of-the-mill hacking most iPhone X owners might face. 1

If they have physical possession of you for 5 minutes of scanning, my guess if you are in a heep of trouble regardless of them accessing your iPhone.

Of course if you are actually engaged in espionage, you can always disable biometric ID and use a long and strong password.

from the article

If they have physical possession of you for 5 minutes of scanning, my guess if you are in a heep of trouble regardless of them accessing your iPhone.

Of course if you are actually engaged in espionage, you can always disable biometric ID and use a long and strong password.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like such a big deal, especially for me since my phone never has any passwords on it.

Or, after discovering the iPhone is stolen, one could disable it remotely, find out where it is, and proceed depending on your inclinations.

The iPhone X also scans continuously, so apps, such as a password manager or financial app, can scan your face again to be sure it's still you using it. Safari, for example, can check your face before filling in passwords on a website. A pretty good safeguard in most cases.

Yes, and if you use Apple Pay your face get rescanned again (if you have set it up to use Face ID).

That's true only if they're willing to pay for iCloud storage beyond the free 5GB. Looks like it's $3/month for 200GB. Not much, but it will add up to hundreds of $$ over the years if you always opt for the lower-storage phones and take lots of pictures and have a large music library.

+1
This is a major reason we don't use iCloud

It was for me. I have had iPhones and Verizon for around 10 years, but this year I needed a new iPhone, and the cost inspired me to switch to a free LG phone on Cricket. For me, this was a good decision because it makes me very happy.

Not saying that anyone else should do the same since everyone is different.

My Apple iPad Air 2 got dropped (oops) and had terminal structural damage making it unusable. So, I went back to my old iPad 2.

All I do on it is do jigsaw puzzles so I didn't see any sense in buying a new Air 2 just for that. I need to find a really, really good jigsaw puzzle program for Windows 10 and then when my old iPad breaks I can ditch iPads, also.

I didn't know about electronic jigsaw puzzles! What app do you use?

Back
Top Bottom